Tanzanite jewelry

Ladysilver

I'd feel much more secure buying from a local jeweler. The days of getting a bargain in the Caribbean are long gone - particularly if you don't know exactly what you are buying. Lots of complaints on these boards about being ripped off by DI.

I'd feel much more secure buying from a local jeweler. The days of getting a bargain in the Caribbean are long gone - particularly if you don't know exactly what you are buying. Lots of complaints on these boards about being ripped off by DI.

Really? Well, that's not good. I saw a beautiful Tanzanite ring at Sears over the weekend for a great price. The only thing I didn't like was all of their Tanzanite jewelry is very light in color. I've always heard the darker the color, the better the stone. :cool:

Appraisals are done at retail. most do not buy at retail even in the USA. So it would be very easy to get a gem appraised at more than you paid, even in the US. Now, if it was appraised at 100% more or double or triple, that would be a good deal.

I bought a one carat diamond ring at Diamonds International last year. I took it to ge appraised at a gemoligist, for insurance purposes, and it was appraised at over 50% more than I paid for it.

That's pretty much the minimum it should have appraised for. This does not, of course, mean that you could get that price if you tried to sell it.

St Thomas, shop in a recommened shop and you do want a deep color stone, and yes it is soft but holds up well. I have several pieces but stayed away from DI and went to smaller shops for mine, DI dark stone much more$$$$$. Happy shopping!

Bought my DW a 3.04 carat trillion cut, eye clear deep blue tanzanite ring set in white gold surrounded by diamonds for $2500 about 4 years ago at Milano Jewelers on Front St. in St Thomas.

Have purchased many pieces of jewelry from this store (not the Milano by the pier), get there early and haggle!

My personal view is that the downsides to purchasing in a foreign port outweigh the upside that you'll get a good deal.

First, you're under a lot of pressure to buy right then and there b/c the ship is sailing (literally:)). That means you can't do what you can in the US (or wherever your home may be) which is to go home and sleep on it, compare prices, etc.

Second, how do you know you're getting a good deal? It's VERY difficult to compare tanzanites to each other unless you're a gemologist and even then, looking at a set stone isn't ideal. Basically, you're relying on someone you've never met before and who has EVERY incentive for you to buy from him/her that day to tell you you're getting a good deal and then you have to trust that person and hope that, when you get back to the US, your trust was justified.

Third, if something goes wrong, you're doomed. There are many posts on the Internet (just Google DI and the word "scam") about deals gone wrong and the difficulties in returning the item and getting one's money refunded. My guess is those who claim they've been scammed are in the minority b/c otherwise the businesses wouldn't stay in business. Still, if something does go wrong, yoy're a long way from the store, the business is likely not subject to US consumer protection laws, and you may spend more money than you paid trying to recoup your losses.

If you do decide to buy, READ THE CONTRACT. READ THE FINE PRINT. I cannot emphasize this enough. Legally, if there is a written contract, it does not matter what anyone tells you -- the written contract governs. They cannot verbally modify a written contract. So, ask them to show you the return/refund policy IN THE CONTRACT and read it CAREFULLY. And when they tell you something else, tell them you want the manager to write an amendment to the contract and that both of you must sign it (and even that might not be good enough depending on whether the manager has the authority to modify the contract). I can almost guarantee you that they won't be willing to modify it in writing.

Read the contract BEFORE you pay them any money. It doesn't help if you pay and then read the contract. Most people who end up "scammed" didn't read the contract or were swayed by verbal promises. If you understand your rights up front, then you will know whether to proceed.

Finally, don't wait to buy your gem (and read the contract) until 3:30 when your "back on board time" is 4:30 (or earlier). You're rushed, you don't have time to address any concerns, etc.

Good luck!

I want to buy a Tanzanite ring while I'm in the Caribbean. Can anyone recommend a place I can trust. What about Diamonds International? :confused:

We always shop at Milanos in St. Marteen and I have some stunning pieces I purchased there and the best prices :D

While everyone has their "I got a great bargain in the Caribbean" story, my next door neighbor is an independent appraiser and she sees jewelry from DI and other stores highly touted by the cruise lines. Most of the time, the jewelry appraises for less than it was purchased for!!!

Remember, the cruise line's shopper is paid by DI!! they have a vested interest in having you shop there. If there is a problem, you are screwed!!! The cruise line won't help you and DI says "come back and we'll talk". Are you prepared to go back to DI and work through your issues? Your bill of sale will state what you have. You can't contest the sale with your credit card as you got what the bill of sale says.....too bad you paid too much for it!!

Jewelry has a 300-400% markup. It is NOT an investment!! Buy a bobble as a memento of your trip, but spend the big bucks at home where you KNOW how to get in touch with them if there's a problem!!

I have had good luck with several purchases at EFFY in several ports. They even fixed a ring (at no charge) I had bought from them two years earlier. I know some people avoid the so-called recommended shops but EFFY is reliable. Plus they have outlets in the USA at stores like Lord & Taylor and Macys so you can compare. (No connection with the company, just good experience.)

I love tanzanite and have a number of pieces (rings, bracelets, necklaces). I have never had any problems with the softness of the stone (as I recall I think it is about a 7 - not really that delicate). My first piece came from the Bahamas (Colombian Emeralds). It was not a great deal but it was the first time I had seen tanzanite (back in the mid 90s) and I wanted it. You are going to pay big bucks for the deeper shades of tanzanite. Do some comparison shopping before you leave home to see what you should pay. Most of the tanzanite I saw last time in the Caribbean was the lighter color.

Archived