galveston texas port

trev71

I am thinking about taking a cruise out of galveston texas, but the closest airport is Houston Airport IWA, which is about 60 miles away. does anyone know what a shuttle to the port there cost and if its the same on the way back ??

Thanks

Trevor

There are actually two airports in Houston:

1. George Bush Intercontinental (IHA) - this is farther north (and therefore farther from Galveston), newer, and larger of the two. It is a hub to United Airlines.

2. Houston Hobby (HOU) - this is closer to Galveston. Southwest Airlines flies through here.

When we cruised out of Galveston, we flew into Hobby and stayed at a Springhill Suites that was offering a great package for cruise passengers. We spent the night there (in Houston) and they provided a FREE shuttle to the cruise pier the next day. After the cruise, the shuttle met us and took us to the airport. All the transportation was included. I don't know if they still offer that package, but it worked out to be FAR less expensive that booking transportation from Houston to Galveston, hotel accommodations in Galveston, taxi to the cruise pier and post-cruise transportation to the airport!

Good luck!

There are actually two airports in Houston:

1. George Bush Intercontinental (IHA) - this is farther north (and therefore farther from Galveston), newer, and larger of the two. It is a hub to United Airlines.

2. Houston Hobby (HOU) - this is closer to Galveston. Southwest Airlines flies through here.

The code for Bush Intercontinental is IAH. Since the OP is from Canada, I'd think that is their only option for Houston airports.

The code for Bush Intercontinental is IAH. Since the OP is from Canada, I'd think that is their only option for Houston airports.

I would be flying out of Portland Maine, which is in the usa. I never fly out of Canada, I would save 1500$ just by driving to portland which is about 5 hours. and that cost me in my car about 40$ in gas to do the same trip to Portland last year.. so about 90$ us, worth the savings

According to Hobby Airport website:

Major Airlines serving William P. Hobby Airport (scheduled service)

Air Tran Airlines

(owned & operated by Southwest Airlines)

1-800-247-8726

SouthWest Airlines

1-800-435-9792

American Airlines

1-800-433-7300

American Eagle

1-800-433-7300

Atlantic Southeast Airlines

1-800-221-1212

ATA-Airlines

1-800-435-9282

Branson AirExpress

1-888-359-2541

Delta Air Lines

1-800-221-1212

SouthWest Airlines is building

Hobby Airport's new International Terminal passenger facility,

which will open in 2014

According to Hobby Airport website:

Major Airlines serving William P. Hobby Airport (scheduled service)

Air Tran Airlines

(owned & operated by Southwest Airlines)

1-800-247-8726

SouthWest Airlines

1-800-435-9792

American Airlines

1-800-433-7300

American Eagle

1-800-433-7300

Atlantic Southeast Airlines

1-800-221-1212

ATA-Airlines

1-800-435-9282

Branson AirExpress

1-888-359-2541

Delta Air Lines

1-800-221-1212

SouthWest Airlines is building

Hobby Airport's new International Terminal passenger facility,

which will open in 2014

AFAIK, the international flights scheduled to fly out of Hobby will be to the Caribbean and Mexico. Many of those "airlines" you list are the short-haul airlines that fly under the American or the Delta flag.

I would be flying out of Portland Maine, which is in the usa. I never fly out of Canada, I would save 1500$ just by driving to portland which is about 5 hours. and that cost me in my car about 40$ in gas to do the same trip to Portland last year.. so about 90$ us, worth the savings

Then check flights to both IAH and HOU.

AFAIK, the international flights scheduled to fly out of Hobby will be to the Caribbean and Mexico. Many of those "airlines" you list are the short-haul airlines that fly under the American or the Delta flag.

Thanks you are correct!

Yes Southwest Airlines will spend around 100 million

to build a new international terminal.

Hobby Airport will have full scale Customs facility

to handle those international flights.

I am from Maine, and my mom still lives about 5 miles from PWM (The airport up there). That being said I have looked and booked flights over the years from Houston to Portland. Here are some of the best options.

United...via Newark, Chicago and Washington (I think Cleveland is seasonal) this will take you into IAH

UsAir...via Charlotte and prob Philly into IAH

Delta...you can get to either HOU or IAH depending on where you connect. I know there is a connection via ATL that goes into HOU 9a friend of mine did it a couple years ago when she visited.)

American...no service into PWM :mad: But you can use Jetblue (they have some sort of partnership) into one of the NYC airports then into DFW and then Houston. (a major pain to connect twice so I would skip this one)

Southwest...supposed to be flying into PWM (if not just drive to Manchester NH) then you can do the Southwest shuffle into Hobby. (I am not a Southwest fan or flyer so the routing I am unsure of. via Baltimore I think)

Google Galveston limousine. It is actually a shared shuttle. We've used them from both IAH and HOU. Very reliable.I think it's still $70 pp round trip from HOU. They take you right to your hotel and pick up afterwards at the port.

• 1 month later...
When we cruised out of Galveston, we flew into Hobby and stayed at a Springhill Suites that was offering a great package for cruise passengers. We spent the night there (in Houston) and they provided a FREE shuttle to the cruise pier the next day. After the cruise, the shuttle met us and took us to the airport. All the transportation was included. I don't know if they still offer that package, but it worked out to be FAR less expensive that booking transportation from Houston to Galveston, hotel accommodations in Galveston, taxi to the cruise pier and post-cruise transportation to the airport!

Good luck!

How long ago did you do this? I just talked with Springhill and they do not provide any kind of package to the cruise terminal. Darn. I got excited too quick. Sounded good though!

Archived