Baggage Handling Aggravation at Port Everglades

So this will probably affect very few people, but I thought I'd share it anyway. I just returned from Oasis yesterday, had a fantastic time and will share more thoughts on the trip when I catch my breath.

The one major aggravation however, happened curbside. Evidently, the porters will no longer accept golf clubs curbside. I had a rental car, so I figured I'd swing by the port before returning the car to the airport and dump the clubs. When I unloaded them (in a travel bag the airlines accept with no fee or questions), I was told (and then had confirmed by several other porters) that "Royal Caribbean" no longer allows us to accept golf bags". Instead, you have to haul them on yourself.

This could be a minor hassle for some, but for me, it became a major PIA. I had to load them back into the rental car, haul them with me to the airport, and then struggle to get them, along with the rest of my luggage, through the airport to the taxi stand, BACK to the port, and then lug them all the way to my room. Worse yet, because I wasn't planning on having to deal with my golf clubs, I planned on carrying on my other two bags. Since they were packed accordingly (laptop, cash, etc...), I still had to carry them on. So there I was, trudging through security, check-in, queuing up, and then getting on board and all the way to my room with a ton of stuff.

Two observations:

First, I'm totally fine with RCI deciding we can't check clubs with the porters, but how about a heads up? I wouldn't have bothered to bring them if I had known that was the case.

Second, from now on, when I cruise, I don't care how big my suitcase is, I'm going to carry it on if I so choose. If they made me fend for myself with an oversized golf travel bag, then why on earth should I ever be "required" to have the porters load my regular sized suitcase, only to get it hours later?

Interesting post. I agree that if they required you to carry on your golf bag, then they should also allow people to carry on their suitcases if they so desire. What's the difference?

Of course, you'd probably want to make sure you arrive after 1pm, because you wouldn't want to be lugging all of your large/heavy suitcases all over the ship until the cabins open and you can stow them.

why didn't your rental car company take you to the airport. Why all the way back to the airport to return?

Good question. I rented with Hertz. A one way rental (flew into Orlando to visit friends and drove down). The Hertz return for Port Everglades is in one of the local hotels. It's on the top floor of an enclosed parking garage, and the last time I did it, I waited 40 minutes because so many people were doing it, it took several trips before there was room in the shuttle. Standing in a hot, sticky garage, slowly baking....

I decided it's easier and faster to return to the airport and spend $12 on a cab. Would've been a breeze if not for the clubs.

Do you travel solo? If so, this does sound like a major pain.

For couples, one person could be dropped outside the terminal to "babysit" the clubs and bags while the other person returns the rental car. They can re-unite outside the terminal and haul the bags through security.

Or you might try Hertz off-airport location again. Last time we were boarding Oasis, we pull our rental car into the Hertz hotel lot about 9:30-10 am. the agent said "You have a return? You are our new best friend!". They smiled, quickly did the paperwork, immediately cleaned the car, and pulled it back around for the next renter (they had people waiting for cars). It was the quickest turn around you could imagine. which was fortunate because DH had inspadvertantly left a small item in the back seat; finding it while cleaning, they politely returned the item to him. The shuttle van dropped off more customers at Hertz, and we climbed in for the ride to port. It was just the driver, two of us, and our bags. what a different experience from yours. it may all be in the timing.

I can totally see their reasoning. Golf clubs are expensive and they don't want to chance someone claiming they were damaged by the cruiseline. Not sure how you expected to be advised of this unless they knew in advance you were bringing them or it could be a port issue (e.g., some will not take water unless it is in a bag while others will take a case with a luggage tag and still others insist you carry it on yourself).

In any event, as long as your suitcases fit through the scanners, you are always permitted to carry them on yourself.

As long as the suitcases can fit through the scanner machines you may carry them on board yourself.

In any event, as long as your suitcases fit through the scanners, you are always permitted to carry them on yourself.

I think the point the OP is making is that the golf bag ("oversized") is too big to fit through the scanner, yet he was required to carry it on, therefore he should also be allowed to bring on his other luggage that also is too large for the scanner.

Second, from now on, when I cruise, I don't care how big my suitcase is, I'm going to carry it on if I so choose. If they made me fend for myself with an oversized golf travel bag, then why on earth should I ever be "required" to have the porters load my regular sized suitcase, only to get it hours later?

While I don't remember the details exactly (and it may not have even been here on the RCI board), but wasn't there a thread recently about someone who wanted to carry on their golf clubs and keep them in their cabin, having them taken by RCI security and held in on-board storage until the guest was ready to use them? If so, then this story would seem to make less sense (that RCI won't handle golf clubs any longer and you have to take them to your cabin yourself). :confused:

Edit: Found that other thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1839016&highlight=golf

I think the point the OP is making is that the golf bag ("oversized") is too big to fit through the scanner, yet he was required to carry it on, therefore he should also be allowed to bring on his other luggage that also is too large for the scanner.

Actually, the bag did fit through the scanner. But that didn't make it any less unwieldy.

I can totally see their reasoning. Golf clubs are expensive and they don't want to chance someone claiming they were damaged by the cruiseline. Not sure how you expected to be advised of this unless they knew in advance you were bringing them or it could be a port issue (e.g., some will not take water unless it is in a bag while others will take a case with a luggage tag and still others insist you carry it on yourself).

I think you're missing the point. I'm totally okay with them deciding they don't want the liability (although it seems kind of silly that an airline can transport them across country without trouble, but RCI can't handle getting them on board). But they offered two excursions to go golfing. Seems reasonable that one might at least consider bringing clubs. If they don't want responsibility, fine. But they took my reservation for the excursion, how hard would it have been to indicate that golf bags cannot be checked with the porter?

First, I'm totally fine with RCI deciding we can't check clubs with the porters, but how about a heads up? I wouldn't have bothered to bring them if I had known that was the case.

That's funny. All the smokers are saying the same thing regarding being notified of the balcony smoking ban. I see a pattern here....lol

That's funny. All the smokers are saying the same thing regarding being notified of the balcony smoking ban. I see a pattern here....lol

Maybe so. But I suspect that those opposed to the change in the smoking policy would have expressed displeasure no matter how it was handled. This seems like a fairly simple fix.

I do understand your frustration... you had a lot of baggage to handle... and no porter to assist. I do know that the porters on land are in no way associated with the ship. If they accepted your clubs and they never made it to the ship (not saying that would happen) the cruise line would not be liable. Also.. if they arrived damaged, who would be liable? That is a tough one. But... I do wonder if you had them in a hard case and not an airline box, if they would have taken them.

I guess my real question is... how did you get them off the ship? Did you put them out with luggage for pickup? Or did you carry them off?

Actually, the bag did fit through the scanner. But that didn't make it any less unwieldy.

I think you're missing the point. I'm totally okay with them deciding they don't want the liability (although it seems kind of silly that an airline can transport them across country without trouble, but RCI can't handle getting them on board). But they offered two excursions to go golfing. Seems reasonable that one might at least consider bringing clubs. If they don't want responsibility, fine. But they took my reservation for the excursion, how hard would it have been to indicate that golf bags cannot be checked with the porter?

How hard would it have been to ask?

I do understand your frustration... you had a lot of baggage to handle... and no porter to assist. I do know that the porters on land are in no way associated with the ship. If they accepted your clubs and they never made it to the ship (not saying that would happen) the cruise line would not be liable. Also.. if they arrived damaged, who would be liable? That is a tough one. But... I do wonder if you had them in a hard case and not an airline box, if they would have taken them.

They said no hard cases either. I fail to see the liability difference between that and any suitcase. But again, I have no problem with the POLICY, I just wish they had provided some notice of it somewhere.

I guess my real question is... how did you get them off the ship? Did you put them out with luggage for pickup? Or did you carry them off?

Ironically enough, I had no problem using luggage valet and having them grab my clubs. I checked with the concierge on board, and she said if there was a valet tag on it, they would take it. And she was right.

How hard would it have been to ask?

Ask whom? Ask when? This is a new policy, and there is no indication about it anywhere on the website or cruise documents. I had no reason to assume they wouldn't take the clubs.

They said no hard cases either. I fail to see the liability difference between that and any suitcase. But again, I have no problem with the POLICY, I just wish they had provided some notice of it somewhere.

Ironically enough, I had no problem using luggage valet and having them grab my clubs. I checked with the concierge on board, and she said if there was a valet tag on it, they would take it. And she was right.

Ask whom? Ask when? This is a new policy, and there is no indication about it anywhere on the website or cruise documents. I had no reason to assume they wouldn't take the clubs.

First question: Is it policy or just a porter with attitude? If policy, is it the dockworkers' policy or the cruiselines'?

That the ship's crew handled the clubs from the hallway at the end of the cruise makes me think it might be the porter himself or a dockside rule.

did you tell the concierge the story as you asked about luggage valet? the concierge would be a good person to ask if there is a new policy (for future reference).

I also think that this may be more a port policy than an RCI policy.. or maybe mis-information to the port luggage handlers. Especially since they took the clubs off the ship. I hope you contact RCI to clarify the policy before your next cruise. And I hope you had great days of golf on your cruise... Did the other golfers you met have the same thing happen?

I also think that this may be more a port policy than an RCI policy.. or maybe mis-information to the port luggage handlers. Especially since they took the clubs off the ship. I hope you contact RCI to clarify the policy before your next cruise. And I hope you had great days of golf on your cruise... Did the other golfers you met have the same thing happen?

The porters I spoke to said they were instructed by RCI not to accept any more clubs (although I'm not sure I believe it). I actually spoke with several when I was trying to drop them off, and then two more after I had gotten rid of the car. They all told me the same thing: They have been INSTRUCTED not to accept them any more. I don't know if it came from RCI, or from their supervisor. But it is policy at Port Everglades as of right now.

As for the "other golfers": I was the ONLY person golfing the (at least via excursions, and the only one with clubs on board) on the whole cruise!

As for the "other golfers": I was the ONLY person golfing the (at least via excursions, and the only one with clubs on board) on the whole cruise!

LOL... I'm sure there were other golfers on board... and they were envious that they didn't haul their clubs on board... and I have to say in all my cruises I've never seen clubs on board... but then I haven't looked. I'll keep an eye out for them now!! I hope the courses were worth the trouble.

I always thought the baggage handle system in Port Everglades is basically a form extortion..

Maybe so, but this is definitely some sort of policy. I tried to pay two different porters $20, and neither would even consider it. So clearly, they've been given some sort of mandate.

LOL... I'm sure there were other golfers on board... and they were envious that they didn't haul their clubs on board... and I have to say in all my cruises I've never seen clubs on board... but then I haven't looked. I'll keep an eye out for them now!! I hope the courses were worth the trouble.

I honestly think I was the only one (clubs or not), as both courses were very quiet. I KNOW I was the only one golfing in Cozumel, and think I was the only one in Jamaica.

The golf itself was okay. It's the rainy (i.e. WET) season there, so the courses were very, VERY wet (three holes at Cozumel were actually closed completely).

So this will probably affect very few people, but I thought I'd share it anyway. I just returned from Oasis yesterday, had a fantastic time and will share more thoughts on the trip when I catch my breath.

The one major aggravation however, happened curbside. Evidently, the porters will no longer accept golf clubs curbside. I had a rental car, so I figured I'd swing by the port before returning the car to the airport and dump the clubs. When I unloaded them (in a travel bag the airlines accept with no fee or questions), I was told (and then had confirmed by several other porters) that "Royal Caribbean" no longer allows us to accept golf bags". Instead, you have to haul them on yourself.

This could be a minor hassle for some, but for me, it became a major PIA. I had to load them back into the rental car, haul them with me to the airport, and then struggle to get them, along with the rest of my luggage, through the airport to the taxi stand, BACK to the port, and then lug them all the way to my room. Worse yet, because I wasn't planning on having to deal with my golf clubs, I planned on carrying on my other two bags. Since they were packed accordingly (laptop, cash, etc...), I still had to carry them on. So there I was, trudging through security, check-in, queuing up, and then getting on board and all the way to my room with a ton of stuff.

Two observations:

Youre right it will not affect many peolpe.

Archived