Your favorite culinary classes?

isabelle315

We're wanting to book some culinary classes on our March Caribbean cruise (Riviera - 14 days), but we just can't decide!!! So, do you have any favorites that particularly stand out from past cruises?

We are particularly torn between the Red Ginger class and the "Tropical Breezes" class, which highlights "local caribbean food"... they both sound great, but they are on our last 2 sea days, and it would be nice to leave one of those days open and unscheduled!

I guess a related question is - do the culinary classes tend to sell out on sea days?

Thanks!

Keep in mind the classes only accept 24 people

I would think at least that many people would be interested on a sea day not everyone likes to just sit around the pool ;)

Book early if you are really interested

We took the class that made fresh pasta. Fresh pasta can be used in dishes from all over the world. We were amazed at how easy it was to make -- how inexpensive -- how amazing it tastes. We decided that we were more likely to make fresh pasta than to make "local" food. And, we were on a port intensive cruise..... our class was before our excursion.

My wife did the Pasta, the Red Ginger and the Paella classes.

By far, she enjoyed the Paella class the best. I most enjoyed eating the Red Ginger term paper.

The Red Ginger was the most 'technical' class, since ingredients and prep were very unique. The Paella class was the most practical for replicating the work once at home.

Any other favourites? Not really interested in making my own pasta.

Is that because you aren't interested in pasta or because you think it's a lot of work?

Because it really isn't. I prefer using a manual pasta maker myself since some of the higher tech equipment has always seemed to "melt" the pasta strings together. (Then again I also bake my own bread.)

But my husband loves the fresh pasta. And it's nice to make the dough, let it rest a bit, then cut it and toss it right into the water if you wish. It cooks in no time and has a wonderfully fresh taste. FAR superior to the prepared pasta.

No, I've not taken a class on board ... I just started making pasta on my own many years ago.

Mura

Did a La Reserve class where we did some items (not entrees) that are served atthe La Reserve dinners and then had wine pairing with each one we fixed. It was a 4PM class, so we did not need to go to a big dinner that night. Great fun! Can't remember the exact dishes, but I know we got full and they did not skimp on the wine. :)

Our favorite culinary class obviously wouldn't be available to you on this cruise: On Corfu, Chef Kelly led us into the marketplace and each of us was required to buy the best ingredients for the multi-course Mediterranean lunch that consisted of deep-fried stuffed squash blossoms, grilled fresh figs stuffed with sheep cheese and rosemary and wrapped in prosciutto, watermelon and tomato salad with feta cheese crumbles, and chicken gyros with tzatziki in freshly made grilled pita bread. Yum!

In the past we also enjoyed the paellla and gazpacho class.

One caution: Don't be more than a very few minutes late to class or forget your receipt coupon. One person we know did both with another class and was told she was too late (they did refund her money).

My wife did the Pasta, the Red Ginger and the Paella classes.

By far, she enjoyed the Paella class the best. I most enjoyed eating the Red Ginger term paper.

The Red Ginger was the most 'technical' class, since ingredients and prep were very unique. The Paella class was the most practical for replicating the work once at home.

Second Paella - and perhaps crepes. We did four classes on our last 10 day through the baltics, including one Culinary excursion which was an all day, multi part trip that ended up in the culinary kitchen on board. The Paella was fantastic and we are now cooking some of these recipes weekly. We are also now making saffron savory crepes, paper thin. :) Either way, the classes are fun and you will enjoy. Get there about 10 mins early for a front row seat.

I understand that is no longer possible. When they did permit auditors some were noisy and disruptive, so now it's participants only.

Too bad some inconsiderate people ruined it for others!

Mura

That's too bad to hear.

Earlier this year, I was permitted to stay and take pictures. I was well -behaved. :o

8636870060_b6802cb088_c.jpg

8636870188_8e3f452059_c.jpg

Thanks for the photos! I just booked two classes for our BCN-Rio TA leaving Barcelona on 11/20 and one on the May 2014 TA from NY to Dover. It's nice to see the set-up. Our one Marina cruise was two years ago and it was so port intensive that I never contemplated a class.

I remember some time ago reading complaints from people that auditors at the class were so noisy that they couldn't hear the instructor (not the main instructor on board at the time, I think it was her assistant) and asking them to quiet down didn't help. Apparently she wasn't firm enough with the noise makers.

Some time later I read that now it was only possible to be in the room if you were actually taking the class.

Mura

I agree, Lyn, although I don't know what benefit you get from looking in through the window!

I took a number of college classes where I was an auditor and we always behaved ourselves. Ultra quiet! Only speak when spoken to!

It would have been nice if auditors could have continued just watching the culinary classes ... but given the number of noisy "watchers", I don't see that there was another choice.

Speaking for myself personally, there are classes that I would like to watch and not participate in, because I have made many of these dishes myself. I'd rather watch for free than pay for a class if it's something I'm not sure I can benefit from. But I would never chatter and jabber with my friends if I were doing so!

So now I either take the class or I don't. No choice.

Mura

I agree, Lyn, although I don't know what benefit you get from looking in through the window!

I took a number of college classes where I was an auditor and we always behaved ourselves. Ultra quiet! Only speak when spoken to!

It would have been nice if auditors could have continued just watching the culinary classes ... but given the number of noisy "watchers", I don't see that there was another choice.

Speaking for myself personally, there are classes that I would like to watch and not participate in, because I have made many of these dishes myself. I'd rather watch for free than pay for a class if it's something I'm not sure I can benefit from. But I would never chatter and jabber with my friends if I were doing so!

So now I either take the class or I don't. No choice.

Mura

As I said ...my opinion is they do not allow people in unless they pay

It is like paying to go to the theatre & then letting people in for free to watch after others are seated

or people paying for a ship's tour & have other following the group for free so they get the benefit of the guide

If people are allowed in during a class I have paid to do then I will be complaining

YMMD

Lyn

Lyn,

Your point is well taken! But it doesn't seem that you need worry ...

No doubt it is better for the paying participants if there isn't an audience, especially if the audience cannot be quiet and watch and LISTEN.

But when only 24 can participate I still think it would be nice if POLITE auditors could view the class.

Even as I say that, however, I wonder how much benefit they get from watching and not participating. Which may be why they chattered so much in the past!

Which brings us back to the point of beginning!

I will see what I think about the class when I finally take one in November!

Mura

Archived