Your favorite culinary classes?

isabelle315

Saddest part for me was all the leftovers we had to leave behind. You are absolutely NOT allowed to take anything you prepare out of the classroom. And trust me, we had a LOT of leftovers each class. And you literally can only taste what you made as the classes were so rapid and come finish time, they want you out so they can clean up. We left 3/4 of a pan of poached fish in a delish white wine and caper sauce there one class and it almost broke my heart. Almost. :rolleyes:

In my last class, which I will say was about probably a year and half ago on Marina, we were encouraged, as PAST participants, to come audit any other classes. We had some previous participants that day who were quiet and very well behaved. Chef seemed to enjoy having them there and remembered them from previous classes.

I can see both sides of the discussion, and do whole-heartedly agree about not wanting noisey people around. In previous classes, I wasn't sure about having others there since I had paid and they hadn't. This time when I learned they had all been in previous classes, it didn't bother me or detract from my experience.

So we are all saying that if my husband pays and takes the course, I am unable to watch him?

Is there not a way to observe?

No fun for me!!

Observers are occasionally allowed at the discretion of the Instructor(s), but seating is at a premium in this venue at the best of times, and the sightlines for observers are not great.

Marina-0477.JPG

Saddest part for me was all the leftovers we had to leave behind. You are absolutely NOT allowed to take anything you prepare out of the classroom. And trust me, we had a LOT of leftovers each class. And you literally can only taste what you made as the classes were so rapid and come finish time, they want you out so they can clean up. We left 3/4 of a pan of poached fish in a delish white wine and caper sauce there one class and it almost broke my heart. Almost. :rolleyes:

That would be disappointing not to enjoy the fruits of your labour :(

Do they not give you time to have a good taste of the product?

Lyn

Well, I might have taken the paella course on our cruise if it were offered, but it's not. And if I couldn't stay to eat the paella, well, phooey!

We had ample time to enjoy the fruits of labor and sample our Sangria. Don't remember anything after that but everything was delicious. :)

A one hour class seems pretty short. I have made home made pasta before but might take this class for the sauces. Anyone who has taken this class, how many sauces do they actually show you in the allotted time?

I am thinking of buying the Oceania cook book ( I think there is one). All the recipes (from classes) would be in there wouldn't they?

Agreed! Preparing the dough doesn't take long but then it usually needs to rest before being cut. If you use an automatic machine (which I haven't found to be very successful, but maybe that's just me) cutting the pasta doesn't take long, but if you use a manual one it DOES take a while. Cooking takes zero time but if you're making, say, lasagna, you can't do all the noodles at once.

One thing I've found is that with fresh pasta you are better off NOT letting it dry, so once it is cut you CAN cook it immediately if you wish.

But an hour wouldn't work at all. Even the sauces I've prepared take a while to cook ...

Maybe that's why I didn't opt for a pasta class!

Mura

(Then again, if you like to make a spinach lasagna as I do, you just about have to make your own noodles. Even in NYC I haven't found a source for prepared spinach lasagna noodles.)

Things like dough, crepe batter, etc are already made for you. You get the recipe and the quick how to - but given it's a class that lasts an hour it focuses on the end product and kitchen techniques. You will get a plethora of recipes to take home. My favorite to date is the savory saffron crepes. Was always afraid of crepes but now I'm a pro. :)

I thought it was quite likely that the dough was ready for you. That's an obvious time saver.

I keep thinking of the TV cooking shows where the host puts something into the oven and immediately takes it out of another one.

Mura

Archived