Would you choose Bermuda over the Greek Islands?

Karysa

I guess I don't understand why the choice I or others on this forum would make, would influence your decision.:confused:

Do you not read up on the cruiselines or ports or excursions or care to hear others opinions? If not then I have a question for you. Why do you belong to cruisecritic? What are you contributing or getting from it?

Looking to book a cruise the second week of May. The serious contenders are the Greek Islands - Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu and Olympia from Venice or Bermuda from Boston. Both are NCL cruises and we have never been to either Greece or Bermuda. If we were to do to the Greek Island cruise we would fly in the day before and visit Venice but fly out right from the cruise. Haven't decided what to do if we leave from Boston. Our time frame is May 8-17 th. Does anyone know of other 7 day cruises to Bermuda leaving May 9-11? Which would you choose and why? Thanks.:)

Greek Isles would be my first choice...but since you asked for Bermuda options...there is the NCL Breakaway from NY on May 11, 2014...

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide.

I have been to the Greek Isles twice, and would return again in a heartbeat !

Woody

I guess I don't understand why the choice I or others on this forum would make, would influence your decision.:confused:

i guess i don't understand why you don't get the idea of asking for opinions. sometimes we are faced with choices and you to and fro between them. others who are distanced from the actual thing can offer useful insight. have you never asked anyone for advice ????

Hmm. I will confess to the opinions of some on CC do influence my travel and cruise decisions. And yet, we have cruised on more then 65 different ships of 12 cruise lines, traveled in about 100 countries, generally do our things independent of tours...and yet we still respect the opinions of many here on CC. Some of us just do not know it all and do seek out other opinions. Of course those who do know it all have no need for anyone's opinion...and I guess that would be you?

Hank:rolleyes:

Greek Isles would be my first choice...but since you asked for Bermuda options...there is the NCL Breakaway from NY on May 11, 2014...

Hope you enjoy whatever you decide.

I have been to the Greek Isles twice, and would return again in a heartbeat !

Woody

Thanks I did finally see that one. Don't know how I missed it since it is also an NCL ship.:o

Initially I was thinking, "Greece, duh why is this even a question"

But upon further consideration and seeing that you have only 1 day in Venice beforehand I'm on the fence.

Venice is amazing, we went for 3 days once before a cruise and felt we didn't hardly see a thing. Also due to jet lag you may "miss" the first day or 2 of your cruise sleeping in the cabin.

Corfu was one of our favorite ports ever, actually everything there in the Adriatic was.

Doing Greece will be very busy. Exciting but busy.

If beaches are your thing, and you just want to relax, then Bermuda is perfect.

Do you not read up on the cruiselines or ports or excursions or care to hear others opinions? If not then I have a question for you. Why do you belong to cruisecritic? What are you contributing or getting from it?

Why do you care what I get from this forum?

:confused::confused::confused:

Isn't that the purpose of a cruising message board?

If every person responded with a resounding NO don't go to Greece every NCL ship that goes there is late/has engine problems/ gets robbed/they serve nothing but rice/it's the middle of rainy season/the boat is chartered by weirdos/there's a nudist festival....

Then the OP could use that information to pick the other option.

So that's extreme, but all the differences of opinions give the op things to think about and tell the others they will be cruising with.

i guess i don't understand why you don't get the idea of asking for opinions. sometimes we are faced with choices and you to and fro between them. others who are distanced from the actual thing can offer useful insight. have you never asked anyone for advice ????

I don't ask for advice where I should travel or what ports I should visit. That is a decision I make, not others.

I don't ask for advice where I should travel or what ports I should visit. That is a decision I make, not others.

It's really refreshing when someone realizes that perhaps they were short sighted and has an epiphany of sorts. It's rather boring when one reads someone defending their quippy and misguided response.

Why do you care what I get from this forum?

Since you asked. Human interest would be my answer. If it is not to get opinions regarding different cruises or itinararys or ports and clearly it's not to offer assistance to a fellow cc'er who is asking for opinions about these topics then as Dr. Phil say "What's in it for you?". Perhaps it was just an off day on the boards for you.:)

Love Bermuda and will definitely go back. have no desire to see Europe or any ports on that side of the pond, so for us, It's a no brainer

What were you faviorite 3 things that you did in Bermuda? Do you think that it will be too cold to swim in ocean during the 2nd week of may?

Initially I was thinking, "Greece, duh why is this even a question"

But upon further consideration and seeing that you have only 1 day in Venice beforehand I'm on the fence.

Venice is amazing, we went for 3 days once before a cruise and felt we didn't hardly see a thing. Also due to jet lag you may "miss" the first day or 2 of your cruise sleeping in the cabin.

Corfu was one of our favorite ports ever, actually everything there in the Adriatic was.

Doing Greece will be very busy. Exciting but busy.

If beaches are your thing, and you just want to relax, then Bermuda is perfect.

I just spoke to my DS and she said that Corfu is one of her favorite places. I was on a cruise out of Venice in 2011 and spent a day and evening on the ship there and half a day there before the cruise. I loved the ports on our Adriatic Sea cruise and The Late August heat got to me but I didn't find the ports tiring. Walking and being outdoors is more refreshing to me, what gets me tired are visiting churches and museums and trying to understand tour guides with heavy accents such as the one who toured us through the Seville Cathedral.

I do like to walk beaches and cool off in the water but I am not the type that likes to read and bake in the sun. I am a little concerned that the weather in May in Bermuda will keep me out of the water.

Another consideration may be relaxation. Do you want to have a nice calm relaxing vacation with time to explore an island or a port and excursion filled "If this is Tuesday it must be Crete" vacation. As much as I want to go to Europe I want to do it on my terms and not a tour agency. DW and I have discussed if we ever did a Med cruise it would be a B2B and skip every other day picking up on the return trip.

We have been to Bermuda 4 times now and will be going back in 49 days. We love the place and enjoy that we will be there for two and a half days with NOTHING planned ahead of time. Ideas, yes, but no plans.

And YES I would really love to visit Greece, Germany, Belgium and a whole bunch of Europe before I "punch my ticket"

Thanks for your response. My DD and DH would love to visit Rome and Florence and I feel that these are ports that would exhaust me. I never thought about the Greek Islands being exhausting tour days.

What is it about Bermuda that you love so much? Do you always cruise there or do you take land vacations as well? Are the sunsets nice in Bermuda?

I just spoke to my DS and she said that Corfu is one of her favorite places. I was on a cruise out of Venice in 2011 and spent a day and evening on the ship there and half a day there before the cruise. I loved the ports on our Adriatic Sea cruise and The Late August heat got to me but I didn't find the ports tiring. Walking and being outdoors is more refreshing to me, what gets me tired are visiting churches and museums and trying to understand tour guides with heavy accents such as the one who toured us through the Seville Cathedral.

I do like to walk beaches and cool off in the water but I am not the type that likes to read and bake in the sun. I am a little concerned that the weather in May in Bermuda will keep me out of the water.

My response earlier was that given the time constraint and horror and cost of flying for such a short time would lead me to the Bermuda cruise. I now add that if those are not concerns, the Greek Islands win. When I was younger, the flight (and flying was more pleasant than now) would not matter. If the flight does not matter to you, and you say DH wants to go to Europe, I would say go for it. I don't prevaricate much...

No question I would choose the Greek Isles cruise.

I love the Med and would not pass up any opportunity to cruise there versus just about any other destination.

I am not retired and often I am working and on a tight schedule. I have been known to work a full day prior to an evening flight to Europe, sightsee all the next day, get on a ship and continue intensive sightseeing at each port, then fly back and be at work the following day. I never waste a single vacation day I have; they are too precious to me.

Heck, I would fly to Rome, Paris, Istanbul or London for even a 4-day long weekend if cost was no object.

Bermuda is nice and all, but..... ;)

My DH works a lot and he never thinks about vacations wearing him out. He would stay an extra couple of days post cruise in Venice and get home and up the next day for work. We have done this before but by the end of the week he needs a "stay cation"

My response earlier was that given the time constraint and horror and cost of flying for such a short time would lead me to the Bermuda cruise. I now add that if those are not concerns, the Greek Islands win. When I was younger, the flight (and flying was more pleasant than now) would not matter. If the flight does not matter to you, and you say DH wants to go to Europe, I would say go for it. I don't prevaricate much...

We just booked a flight for DH to travel from Toronto to Philly next month for over $900 and it's a 95 minute flight. The flight to Venice is less than $150 more although on the way there we have a brief lay over. I was shocked at the price of the flight to Philly.

I definitely will prepare for jetlag and have 2 days at home before returning to work if we chose the Greek Island cruise. I actually picked an AI in Barbados or Aruba for this trip because I was hoping for little rain and lots of sunshine. we are doing a family AI in Antigua in February so DH thought that something different than sun and sand might be nice for our May vacation.

Looking to book a cruise the second week of May. The serious contenders are the Greek Islands - Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu and Olympia from Venice or Bermuda from Boston. Both are NCL cruises and we have never been to either Greece or Bermuda. If we were to do to the Greek Island cruise we would fly in the day before and visit Venice but fly out right from the cruise. Haven't decided what to do if we leave from Boston. Our time frame is May 8-17 th. Does anyone know of other 7 day cruises to Bermuda leaving May 9-11? Which would you choose and why? Thanks.:)

I would choose the Greek Islands in a heart beat. Having been there -- so much to see.

We did a Bermuda cruise during the dates you mentioned one time. Cool, rainy -- never would go during that time frame again.

Just a minor comment about temps.

We went to Greece in July and I went swimming......just so I could say I did and to get a picture. The water was VERY cold!!! 75 may sound like a great air temperature, but 75 degree water temperature will shiver yer bones!!! :eek:

I don't suppose that water temps in Bermuda will be any warmer tho.

Just a minor comment about temps.

We went to Greece in July and I went swimming......just so I could say I did and to get a picture. The water was VERY cold!!! 75 may sound like a great air temperature, but 75 degree water temperature will shiver yer bones!!! :eek:

I don't suppose that water temps in Bermuda will be any warmer tho.

How do you think beach communities just north of NC survive? 75 degree ocean water is about all they ever get in Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachussetts -- not to mention California.

Toughen up!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived