Would you choose Bermuda over the Greek Islands?

Karysa

Looking to book a cruise the second week of May. The serious contenders are the Greek Islands - Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu and Olympia from Venice or Bermuda from Boston. Both are NCL cruises and we have never been to either Greece or Bermuda. If we were to do to the Greek Island cruise we would fly in the day before and visit Venice but fly out right from the cruise. Haven't decided what to do if we leave from Boston. Our time frame is May 8-17 th. Does anyone know of other 7 day cruises to Bermuda leaving May 9-11? Which would you choose and why? Thanks.:)

They are both great but different from each other.

As to Islands I would choose Bermuda over the Caribbean as this is a beautiful island and very classy.

Greek Islands are special as is Venice.

Given a choice, I would choose the European cruise now and another time the Bermuda cruise.

Keith

The choice posed is between two very attractive, but vastly different options.

On the basis of cost - Bermuda would be in the neighborhood of $1,000 per person - while Venice and the Greek islands at least three times as much. For a first timer, and assuming that the cost is not a concern, you should definitely do Venice and the islands if you can schedule it -- Bermuda can be much more easily fitted in. As a rule, it makes sense to do the more demanding option first.

No, I would not.

While Bermuda is beautiful though the weather is not dependable and we have enjoyed visits there, Greek Islands are a whole different thing.

I would not pass up the chance to revisit Mykonos, Crete, Rhodes....... the islands are out of this world and chances are that cruise would include a visit to Athens. We love Athens. Such amazing things to see and do and oh my,,,,,,, the food is out of this world.

I guess the best way to answer the OP is to mention DD. She has a great job and is able to travel anywhere on her vacations. Since she lives in NYC she has been to Bermuda many times and loves the island. But last year, based on my "coaching" she want to Crete and Santorini for a week vacation. She now tells everyone that there is just nothing in the world as romantic and beautiful as Santorini. Personally, given a choice of Venice and Santorini vs Bermuda...it would not even be a contest. Greece all the way.

Hank

Another consideration may be relaxation. Do you want to have a nice calm relaxing vacation with time to explore an island or a port and excursion filled "If this is Tuesday it must be Crete" vacation. As much as I want to go to Europe I want to do it on my terms and not a tour agency. DW and I have discussed if we ever did a Med cruise it would be a B2B and skip every other day picking up on the return trip.

We have been to Bermuda 4 times now and will be going back in 49 days. We love the place and enjoy that we will be there for two and a half days with NOTHING planned ahead of time. Ideas, yes, but no plans.

And YES I would really love to visit Greece, Germany, Belgium and a whole bunch of Europe before I "punch my ticket"

Although I have not been to Bermuda, I still think the Greek islands without a doubt! Especially if you get to see Venice as well--we've been to the Greek islands, but Venice is on my bucket list.

Also, it's a good time to go there as the crowds and heat will be less than high summer.

Of course, that is a lot of flying if it is just a week-long cruise, but If you are from the East Coast anyway, that helps a lot. Try flying to Europe from Nebraska! The itineraries are a nightmare.

For me, the tight pre and post cruise schedule would be the deciding factor. While Europe (especially Greece) if very, very high on my Bucket List, the idea of flying in only one day before the cruise and flying home the day it ended would be the deal breaker. That is why Med cruises are probably on our post-retirement list. In my job it is really hard for me to take more than 6 consecutive days off...and the flight time to that part of the world eliminates the opportunity to spend extra time there.

Therefore, I would opt for Bermuda. Now...if time and cost are not a factor my only question is why in the heck are you even considering anything other than the Greek Isles?

If cost is not an issue, I would definitely do Greek Islands, but I do agree that it could be more exhausting trip between long flights, time zone changes, and a very port intensive cruise. If you are leaving work and then coming right back to work, it could be a lot.

To give you another option, RCI has a seven day Bermuda cruise leaving on May 9th, and I know Celebrity Summit goes to Bermuda out of Bayonne, NJ but have no idea if she is sailing there in May or what dates she is sailing.

Either way, I don't think you can make a bad choice.

No question I would choose the Greek Isles cruise.

I love the Med and would not pass up any opportunity to cruise there versus just about any other destination.

I am not retired and often I am working and on a tight schedule. I have been known to work a full day prior to an evening flight to Europe, sightsee all the next day, get on a ship and continue intensive sightseeing at each port, then fly back and be at work the following day. I never waste a single vacation day I have; they are too precious to me.

Heck, I would fly to Rome, Paris, Istanbul or London for even a 4-day long weekend if cost was no object.

Bermuda is nice and all, but..... ;)

I would choose the Greek islands also, but if your days are May 8-17, definitely fly out on the 8th (or the evening of the 7th, as most flights leave for Europe in the evening). You cannot see enough of Venice in one afternoon, especially in a jet-lagged state after an all night flight. EM

Off the top of my head, I'd say Greek Isles....but taking everything into consideration.........If you leave the 8th, you'd get there on the 9th and come home on the 17th. You're going to be in Venice for just one day and then a 7 day cruise? For what it's going to cost you in the airfare and what comes down to really a week in Europe, and it's going to take you a couple of days just to deal with jetlag. It's going to be an exhausting week. I think I'd opt for a much more relaxing and less expensive cruise to Bermuda and if it's possible save Venice and the Greek Isles when you can go for a couple of weeks or longer. If that's not an option and this would be the one and only opportunity ever to see Venice and do the Greek Isles, then that would be my choice.

Looking to book a cruise the second week of May. The serious contenders are the Greek Islands - Santorini, Mykonos, Corfu and Olympia from Venice or Bermuda from Boston. Both are NCL cruises and we have never been to either Greece or Bermuda. If we were to do to the Greek Island cruise we would fly in the day before and visit Venice but fly out right from the cruise. Haven't decided what to do if we leave from Boston. Our time frame is May 8-17 th. Does anyone know of other 7 day cruises to Bermuda leaving May 9-11? Which would you choose and why? Thanks.:)

Love Bermuda and will definitely go back. have no desire to see Europe or any ports on that side of the pond, so for us, It's a no brainer

No way. I would pick the Greek Islands in a heartbeat.

DON

I guess I don't understand why the choice I or others on this forum would make, would influence your decision.:confused:

Thank you all for your replies and insight.

We have spent a day and a half in Venice on another cruise so Venice the day prior and the cruise day itself until 2 pm would be enough for me.

The jet lag on the return to Toronto is what gets to me so returning Saturday and having a statutory holiday on Monday would mean returning to work on Tuesday and only having a 4 day work week.

I don't find the Greek Island Cruise port intensive but I may be missing something. Museums and churches and having to pay attention to tour guides in places like those is what tires me. These ports seem to require walking and being outdoors which I find refreshing, especially in high 60 to mid 70 temperatures. One of the port days starts at 1:30 so sleeping in and still having a full day/evening out is possible.

I will look more into both of them as they are on my bucket list but DH is strongly favoring the Greek Island cruise.

Archived