Would you choose Bermuda over the Greek Islands?

Karysa

How do you think beach communities just north of NC survive? 75 degree ocean water is about all they ever get in Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachussetts -- not to mention California.

Toughen up!!!!!!!!!!!

That's why we go to St. Martin for summer vacation. If a hurricane is forecasted I would be out before the seas even started churning.:)

Just a minor comment about temps.

We went to Greece in July and I went swimming......just so I could say I did and to get a picture. The water was VERY cold!!! 75 may sound like a great air temperature, but 75 degree water temperature will shiver yer bones!!! :eek:

I don't suppose that water temps in Bermuda will be any warmer tho.

DH thinks that the Greek Islands have much more to offer us other than beaches and swimming. On the other hand he sees Bermuda as more a beach destination. I think weather is very important equally and I will do more research in that department.

The Greek Islands are all about history and the culture that came from there. LOTS of ruins and enough history and mythology to make your mind spin!

If you get a chance to visit Delphi take it.....it is an incredible ruin!

Where is Delphi?

Delphi is a small island near the island of Mykonos--you can take a ferry to it. We loved Mykonos just to wander around; next time (I'm hoping there will be a next time to the Greek Islands) we will go to Delphi, but we were kind of 'ruined-out' after some of other ports.

Delphi is a small island near the island of Mykonos--you can take a ferry to it. We loved Mykonos just to wander around; next time (I'm hoping there will be a next time to the Greek Islands) we will go to Delphi, but we were kind of 'ruined-out' after some of other ports.

You are thinking of Delos.

Delphi is actually famous as the site of the "Oracle" of Apollo. It is on the mainland and has a beautiful setting among the mountains.

We were actually at Delphi about twenty years ago while on a week long small group tour that was primarily to the Peloponnese but took the long way around so we could see Delphi. But Delphi is on the mainland and truly in the middle of nowhere. Its location makes it a place that you will not see on cruise line excursions.

But we do think the poster meant to say "Delos" which is much better known to cruisers. Personally, we find the ruins on Delos a bit disappointing when compared to many other ruins in Greece (and Italy).

Hank

You are thinking of Delos.

Delphi is actually famous as the site of the "Oracle" of Apollo. It is on the mainland and has a beautiful setting among the mountains.

Yikes, of course you are right--I was thinking 'islands' so that went right over my head, since Delphi is of course on the mainland.

I'd love to see Delphi!

Very excited to let you all know that we just booked the Greek Island cruise. We will arrive in Venice around 09:30 on our 22 Anniversary so it looks like one that we will actually remember.:)

Thanks for the input from those who replied. :)

I just got home 3 days ago from a cruise that included some of the Greek Islands, and IMO, there is absolutely no question that an opportunity to do a cruise there would completely eclipse an opportunity to go to Bernuda!!

In fact, I can't wait for another chance to spend more time on a ship cruising the Greek Isles! Especially when you mention that if you choose the Greek Isles your would go early and spend a little time seeing Venice. Venice is one of my favorite places in the whole WORLD!

I just got home 3 days ago from a cruise that included some of the Greek Islands, and IMO, there is absolutely no question that an opportunity to do a cruise there would completely eclipse an opportunity to go to Bernuda!!

In fact, I can't wait for another chance to spend more time on a ship cruising the Greek Isles! Especially when you mention that if you choose the Greek Isles your would go early and spend a little time seeing Venice. Venice is one of my favorite places in the whole WORLD!

So great that you had a wonderful cruise. I did book the Greek Island cruise yesterday and I booked our hotel in Venice today. Venice will be on our 22nd anniversary so it will be that more special.

So great that you had a wonderful cruise. I did book the Greek Island cruise yesterday and I booked our hotel in Venice today. Venice will be on our 22nd anniversary so it will be that more special.

You made the right choice (I have done both the. Greek Islands and Bermuda cruise and enjoyed both but the Greek Isles are something special.

In Venice just walk down a street and keep going, you can't get lost as any mayor intersection has arrows pointing to the main sights. It is nice to get away from the crowds. Also on the islands some you can just walk around and see the sights and others do a tour. Most of all just enjoy.

In Venice just walk down a street and keep going, you can't get lost as any mayor intersection has arrows pointing to the main sights. It is nice to get away from the crowds. Also on the islands some you can just walk around and see the sights and others do a tour. Most of all just enjoy.

I did that and got very lost. Found myself off the tourist areas and was rescued by local residents to get back to familiar areas, and it wasn't a simple route back.

Archived