How to pack a packing cube

CasaM

Okay, this seems like such a stupid question, but I bought 2 sets of packing cubes from Ikea, one in pink for me, and blue for DH. I've rolled some underwear and stuffed it in the very small piece. For the shirt size cube, do I fold and stack the shirts in, or roll and place them in the cube. Does it matter? I bought these for efficiency and want to use them to the best advantage. How do you use the packing cubes?

Knits, undies, and chiffon tops I roll.

My husband's collared shirts I do a traditional "shirt folding", and then stack them in the cube. I stack collar opposite every other shirt, so all the collars are not at one end. I can get 10 - 12 shirts in a large packing cube this way, but I also fold them in half again to make them shorter.

I also use the tiny ones for miscellaneous cords, wall chargers, cell phone, etc. It keeps them all together, and I keep them in the little cube in a drawer in the cabin.

I have several sets and I pack by the outfit. Each cube gets a day or two's complete outfit including underwear, socks, scarves, etc... That way, if we're going to do a two day pre-cruise stay in a hotel, I only have to open one cube and everything I need will be there. The smallest cube I use for nighttime stuff. PJS, extra underwear, etc.

The number of outfits I can fit into each cube will depend on temperature of destination. If I need sweaters or fleece, less will fit.

I don't like to think of having to completely repack my suitcase from a hotel room, so most of it remains packed this way. :)

I have several sets and I pack by the outfit. Each cube gets a day or two's complete outfit including underwear, socks, scarves, etc... That way, if we're going to do a two day pre-cruise stay in a hotel, I only have to open one cube and everything I need will be there. The smallest cube I use for nighttime stuff. PJS, extra underwear, etc.

The number of outfits I can fit into each cube will depend on temperature of destination. If I need sweaters or fleece, less will fit.

I don't like to think of having to completely repack my suitcase from a hotel room, so most of it remains packed this way. :)

I do a combination of this and treating them like dresser drawers. On an 8 day vacation where I spent the first two nights with family and the rest in a hotel; I packed 3 days worth of outfits in one folder and one double side cube. Those went into my 18 inch roller with my jacket, 3-1-1 bag, jewlery, and electric chargers. I do this even I'm staying only in one place. I have clothes in case the luggage gets lost. :)

Then in my regular 24 inch bag I packed everything else using the drawer method. One cube was pj's and lounge wear, one was underwear, one was knit tops rolled tightly, and all pants and sweaters were folded and placed in my 2nd folder. It takes me about 5 minutes to unpack everything in my semi-permanent home.

Responses sent form a tuochscreen device. Please disreagrd any crash typos.

I didn't know that IKEA had packing cubes. I am going to IKEA next week, what department are they in?

Thank you!

I found them in the section that has luggage and backpacks. This section had lots of other unrelated items also. The location I was in, this department was right by the buffet. You can go online, choose your store, find the packing cubes and see if they are in stock before you go. I then printed out that page and took it with me so I could ask for help locating them. Love Ikea!

I bought my packing cubes on either ebay or amazon, and one was a set of various sizes, while the others were one size purchases. I have a variety of sizes, and it really helps with the odds and ends.

I do something similar to the above posters: I pack pre-cruise clothes for my husband and I in one cube. That goes on top in one suitcase, so we just unpack that one cube until we get on the ship. My toiletries are in their own special bag: http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Leather-Deluxe-Toiletry-Bag/dp/B0020VLTSY/ref=sr_1_64?s=apparel&ie=UTF8&qid=1379172309&sr=1-64&keywords=travel+toiletry+bag

Only mine is nylon and only cost about $24. I love this bag because of the hanger on the top, and the space it has inside. It's very compact when zipped up, and I restock it after each trip, so it's grab 'n go for packing next time.

What I like about packing cubes is when I'm done putting them all in the suitcase, nothing moves around and it's so much easier to find things.

I found them in the section that has luggage and backpacks. This section had lots of other unrelated items also. The location I was in, this department was right by the buffet. You can go online, choose your store, find the packing cubes and see if they are in stock before you go. I then printed out that page and took it with me so I could ask for help locating them. Love Ikea!

Thank you so much. I just looked them up online and they should have them at the IKEA near me.

I am going to try them.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30235115/

If you have a IKEA Family Card, they look to be reduced!

I bought a set from Eagle Creek at Nordstrom Rack and I am going to use them on our next cruise for the clothing I need for our pre-cruise trip, so that I don't have to disturb my bundle until we unpack our bag on the ship.

I´ve got the Ikea cubes and used them this week when we went to Granada for a few days. They are not as large as some of the others I´ve bought or made myself. Do you have the double sided ones? I packed underwear in one side, and proper clothes in the other, like you I used the pink one and OH´s clothes were in the blue one. One suggestion is that you make a folding board from a piece of cardboard (I used an old ceral carton) to fit the larger cube. You can then use this as a folding guide for shirts, so they fit exactly and then pack them as PCUR suggested. I used the smaller cubes for electrical/computer cables, chargers & plugs. We also have a foldable hanging toiletry bag for the bathroom

When we go on longer cruises we use a combination of cubes and folders for clothes. I love them and it keeps everything neat and tidy...a first for us

Sandy in Spain

I love the cubes to pack in. I typically pack by type of clothing rather than outfit... Unless I am staying a night or two some place else first then I will set aside a cube for that short portion of the trip. I have the eagle creek ones since I got mine years ago before they became popular. The eagle creek website has some nice videos and guides on packing. I love their suitcases too... My husband and I looked for the ultimate suitcase a few years ago for a 2 week trip to Italy... We wanted to fit 2 weeks worth of clothing and keep our bags under the weight limit and have only one checked bag and one carry on per person...since we were taking planes, trains, and boats across Italy. Their bags won with being light weight and being designed to fit heir cube system... They have traveled quite a bit since then and work amazing!

Kari

One suggestion is that you make a folding board from a piece of cardboard (I used an old ceral carton) to fit the larger cube. You can then use this as a folding guide for shirts, so they fit exactly and then pack them as PCUR suggested.

Sandy in Spain

What a great idea! I just got my first set of packing cubes and was feeling the need for a folding board (visions of Sheldon and his) but this is much cheaper and custom made for the size packing cube. Thanks!

Ok my third cruise but my first solo. On a transatlantic cruise with msc to brazil from Genoa. My mum usually organised everything so she knew all the schedules for formal nights and so forth I'm just totally confused as how to pack. Planing for day and night with the weather being a little cooler. I would really appreciate some tips ladies!

For a voLUMPtous lady!

;) thanks tori

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I saw the IKEA ones today and for the money, they aren't a bad buy, especially if you want to save a few bucks!! The double sided one is awesome! They are pretty well made and somewhat larger than the ones that I just got from Eagle Creek...I bought the Specter set. I was looking for the compression ones, but this set presented themselves at Nordstrom Rack and were $12.00 for the three. I would have bought them at IKEA if I would have seen them first. I just wanted a set so that I could keep my FLL clothing separate from my bundled clothing. I'm only taking one carry on this cruise. I'm going to try to leave my smaller bag that counts as a personal items home, so I'm hoping these work!

This past cruise (b2b on Oasis) was the first time that I used the packing cubes ... they are fine ... but I actually like using the ziplock bags better. I'm sure that along the way the 6 cubes I purchased will come in handy. Probably not for cruising though. Jan PS - I love the packing folders!!!

Thanks to everyone for the great suggestions. I don't live by Ikea, so my son picked up the Upptacka packing cubes for me. I think someone already posted a link, so this is probably the same one.

http://www.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/60235114/

I like the cardboard for doing shirts. I can't wait to pack! Leaving Oct 9 and all my clothes are laid out on the guest bed. I am determined to pack light this year!

Archived