Best hotel to stay precruise (FLL)

mommyz

Need some advice. 1st cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We will be flying in night before and would like to stay somewhere near the airport and from what info I have gathered is also close to the port.

It would be great if the hotel offered shuttle service from airport and next morning shuttle service to the port. Not sure if you can get anything for "free" anymore.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also how early can you you get onboard? We are sailing on the Oasis.

Thanks!!!

Need some advice. 1st cruise out of Fort Lauderdale. We will be flying in night before and would like to stay somewhere near the airport and from what info I have gathered is also close to the port.

It would be great if the hotel offered shuttle service from airport and next morning shuttle service to the port. Not sure if you can get anything for "free" anymore.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Also how early can you you get onboard? We are sailing on the Oasis.

Thanks!!!

We like the Hampton Inn Fort Lauderdale Airport North (2301 SW 12TH Ave). Free shuttles from the Airport to the hotel and from the hotel to Port Everglades. We choose to take a taxi to the port. No waiting. Free hot breakfast. Clean, quiet and comfortable rooms. A Winn Dixie next door for wine and other things you may have forgotten. Couple of fast food restaurants next door. If transportation isn’t a deal breaker than Embassy Suites is another great place to stay.

We have stayed at the Embassy Suites and also the Crowne Plaza.

The Embasssy Suites has an early evening cocktail party and breakfast in the morning - both included. They do not offer a free shuttle.

Crowne Plaza offers a free airport to hotel shuttle; there is a charge to the port (they use an independent company for this). Restaurant is not included, but is fine; typical Holiday Inn/Crowne Plaza prices and food.

Both hotels were fine; no complaints.

Would not let the idea of a free shuttle influence your decision too much - most of the hotels are very close to the airport and cruise port; cab ride is often cheaper than a shuttle and obviously easier.

We love Embassy Suites! The rooms are very large, the breakfast is wonderful, the pool is beautiful, etc. There is a shopping center with inexpensive restaurants and a Publix supermarket behind the hotel.

We took a cab from the airport to the hotel, and it was about $15 including the tip. Couldn't have been easier!

The hotel offers a shuttle to the pier for $7 or $8 pp. (I forget the exact amount). Or, you can take a cab for about $15 total

Thanks for the info! Would like to stay close by (within several miles) more concerned about the quality of the hotel but it would be an added plus to at least complimentary shuttle service one of the ways would save us a few bucks!

We just found out that our flight was cancelled. We were leaving super early Saturday morning but the recommended flight which is later gives us little wiggle room if something happens so we have decided to leave the day before which means we need to book a hotel room.

I will check out those hotels recommended :)

Thanks for the info! Would like to stay close by (within several miles) more concerned about the quality of the hotel but it would be an added plus to at least complimentary shuttle service one of the ways would save us a few bucks!

We just found out that our flight was cancelled. We were leaving super early Saturday morning but the recommended flight which is later gives us little wiggle room if something happens so we have decided to leave the day before which means we need to book a hotel room.

I will check out those hotels recommended :)

The free evening happy hour and included full breakfast at Embassy is worth more than the shuttle price.

We really enjoyed staying at the Hilton Garden Inn. It is the one on SW 18th Ave. They have free pickup at the airport, and they have a stand in the lobby where you can arrange a ride to the port for a small fee. I can't remember the exact amount, but it didn't cost much. There are several stores across the street which is great for last minute things you need. You are going to love the Oasis!

We really enjoyed staying at the Hilton Garden Inn. It is the one on SW 18th Ave. They have free pickup at the airport, and they have a stand in the lobby where you can arrange a ride to the port for a small fee. I can't remember the exact amount, but it didn't cost much. There are several stores across the street which is great for last minute things you need. You are going to love the Oasis!

Can't wait to get on the Oasis!!! Worried it's going to be too big and will be lost half the time ;) But so excited to go on a vacation :D

Thanks for the info about the stores across the street. I am sure we will need to pick up a few last minute "i forgot" items.

Your welcome. We always forget something, so it helps to be close to stores lol. I was worried about getting lost too, but it is suprisingly easy to find everything. I am sure you will have an amazing trip :). If you want to do something special before the cruise I would recommend going to dinner at Mai Kai. They have a show during dinner, and I got the bananas bengali and kona coffee grog for dessert, because they set them on fire at your table. It had so much rum, I am suprised I still made it to the cruise but it was fun! :eek:

I too am cruising out of Fort Lauderdale for the first time. I read the Florida Departures forum and it was recommended that you look at Value Trips.com website for reasonably priced hotels. I checked prices for the Marriott, Embassy Suites, etc. for one-night pre-cruise reservations and the prices were ridiculous. I found a reasonably priced hotel near the airport and cruise port on Value Trips.com

. If you want to do something special before the cruise I would recommend going to dinner at Mai Kai. They have a show during dinner, and I got the bananas bengali and kona coffee grog for dessert, because they set them on fire at your table. It had so much rum, I am suprised I still made it to the cruise but it was fun! :eek:

Mai Kai is a unique and fun experience. Polynesian / Tiki themed, but done REALLY well. You feel like you went back in a timewarp to the Tiki party era. Live dancers on stage, REALLY good! Fire twirling, hula dancing, etc.

They seat you in small waves and then serve you dinner and begin the show. There are gardens outback to walk through that are nice. Great "once in a lifetime" place because you won't find something like it at home.

Google coupons for there; I think restaurant.com sells $25 coupons for $4 (when they have a sale, which they do every week). If you DON'T go, you can always exchange it online for a credit to a restaurant in your hometown. I do this whenever I travel; exchange a bunch of my restaurant.com credits for restaurants in the area I am going. If I use one, great. If not, I just exchange back at home. For the record; two dinners, two drinks, and the show will run you an EASY $100. You can certainly get better food for less money in the area, but the experience is the unique part. Definitely fun!

If you prefer to be on the water and get GREAT seafood at lower cost look up 15th Street Fisheries; it is very close to the port and 17th street bridge. Upstairs is higher end for prices and more relaxed, downstairs more energetic and lower priced.

Tons of great places on Las Olas blvd.

You could take the Jungle Queen tour; this goes up ICW and New River in Fort Lauderdale. Dinner and a cruise is $80 and leaves from Bahia Mar hotel area. It's not luxurious, but nice narrated tour of Fort Lauderdale. You will see great houses and million dollar sites. A surprisingly good rib buffet dinner is included (you get off the boat at their private stop; dinner and some hokey entertainment).

Gallery at Beach Place is right on the beach (duh) and has good eateries. Plenty of choices for lower costs and great views.

OK, I know this is a bit off topic. I'd probably take the place with the free happy hour, free breakfast, and eat wherever is close and cheap as I'd be boarding ship and eating lavishly the next afternoon.

Have fun!

there are plenty of nice hotels for a single night precruise.

Most of the hotels right near FLL offer airport shuttles. so the trip to an airport are hotel is free. The next morning, many offer shuttles to the pier for a small fee per person, but DH and I generally just take a taxi (quicker and easier and on our schedule). Maybe $15 fare from airport are hotel.

Other times we have stayed on 17th. that is convenient to shopping and the port, but fewer of those hotels off airport shuttles.

I have gotten some terrific deals on Hotwire and Priceline. By consulting betterbidding.com, I can generally predict which hotel I'll get on Hotwire or on Priceline's express deals. You may want to take a look at those websites.

What date?

I really wouldn't make a hotel decision based on the shuttle. The airport, cruise port and the best hotels in the area are all within a couple of miles of eachother and a very inexpensive cab ride to travel between.

There are several nice hotels in the Southeast 17th street area. Also there are many by the beach that are good and only a short distance further. I have personally stayed at the embassy suites, Renaissance, Hyatt pier 66 and the Riverside hotel. All of them were great, and a less than $20 cab ride to the airport and cruise port.

The embassy suites has a free breakfast and free evening happy hour. The Riverside has character and is in a fantastic location on las olas blvd. The pier 66 has an amazing resort feel with a luxurious pool. The Renaissance had nice rooms, a pool and it's practically walking distance from the port. That's all the advice I have.

I'm sure you'll find one you will enjoy. Good luck!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

We are going Oct 12th on the Oasis.

I think I might try Hotwire or Priceline. I am sure what I can save some $.

Thanks for all the advice. I didn't realize how close it was from airport to port. So if we stay near either one $20 cab ride should get us either way.

We always stay at Embassy Suites. The rooms are wonderful and Huge. The happy hour is fun, and the Breakfast is fantastic.

We've found that the "free Shuttles" fill up quickly and you end up waiting and waiting for transportation. It was less than $10.00 for me from the a/p to the hotel and about $12 from hotel to the ship. Well worth the money. No waiting in line.

Have fun and you will LOVE the Oasis OTS.

I'm personally a fan of the fll airport sheraton. Free shuttle to hotel from airport. Shuttle to cruise port is $10 per person. Nice pricing and upgrading to the club floor gets you free snacks all day, appetizers at night and buffet breakfast I the morning.

Use Priceline. Bid 4* downtown and you will get the Renaissance on 17th Street right across from the port. Plenty of stores to pick up last minute items. Walgreens right across the street. You should be able to get the hotel for less than $90 depending on time of year. Start at $60 and be patient.

We love Embassy Suites! The rooms are very large, the breakfast is wonderful, the pool is beautiful, etc. There is a shopping center with inexpensive restaurants and a Publix supermarket behind the hotel.

We took a cab from the airport to the hotel, and it was about $15 including the tip. Couldn't have been easier!

The hotel offers a shuttle to the pier for $7 or $8 pp. (I forget the exact amount). Or, you can take a cab for about $15 total

Another vote for Embassy and a taxi, our taxi was about 10, on last cruise in April

Archived