Live from the Spirit

margbem

Well, here we are, back on our beloved little sister. She is lovely and clean but looking a little shabby in places now. It doesn't matter a jot! Very friendly staff, some more than others! Cruise director is Simon Gillespie, a jovial (bit too much so at times!) English guy, aided by Paul Anderson, guitarist, who we have met before and who is very nice and an excellent musician. Captain is Stigg Betten and Hotel Director is Teresa Haughey. Bar manager, Lajos Bozso and chef Roderick De Guzman, Maitre D' is Gary Roberts. Mostly strangers to us.

Embarkation in Venice was very quick. We dropped our cases off at 11.15am then went for a walk and returned at 12.45pm when we checked in, sat in the lounge and had eats and drinks til 2pm when we were shown to our suite.

Sailaway was wonderful. It can't be anything else in Venice! No sign of the promised canapes, though and the drinks were not flowing as freely as last time we left Venice.

Dinner last night was excellent and the poured wines were a Sauv Blanc from Chile which was unremarkable and an excellent Italian red which we can't remember what it was! We ate with some American friends who I met on our roll call and had a lovely evening.

Today we have been in Ancona. Not a lot to see here and the port is very industrial. We have visited the cathedral and a few churches. It was very hot this morning but is now cloudy and cooler. Looks like rain! We head off later for Kefalonia, arriving on Tuesday.

We are eating in restaurant 2 this evening where the menu is 'Tasting'.

For those interested in the dress code we have 3 resort casual, 6 elegantly casual nights and the one formal optional night. We have brought the tux! It will be interesting how many others have too!

Stamfordian- I loaded the cases with English chocolate biscuits which I will quietly give to Paul to share with the staff! Amazing how heavy they are!

Will post again later in the cruise..

Margaret

Hi Margaret. Good to hear all is well so far. Just don't break the ship before we board in Nov, will you?

Did the OBC from the referral go through to your account, BTW?

We have the credit, yes, thanks, but this time it is from an earlier referral, as you have to sail before me to activate our link. We have a cruise booked for next year so yours will give us credit for that one!

Margaret, have a wonderful cruise.

Keith

Thank you!

We had a lovely sea day yesterday, with super, hot, sunny weather. The Captain's reception was last night and, believe it or not, we shared a hosted table with both couples who we had linked up with on our roll call.

Our meal in Restaurant 2 the other night was fabulous and we had a bottle of Condrieu Chapoutier from the premium list which was amazing too.

The poured wines at dinner have definitely improved and the champagne is drinkable this year! Last year it was awful. Same Nicholas Feuillatte blue label but much better.

Our only gripe so far is that the TEA IS COLD!!!! This is terrible for us English folk. We had to ask for boiling water at breakfast as you could hold the first attempt in your hands! Other people have commented also that the coffee is not hot.

Been in Cephalonia today. We visited the caves and the Melissani lake then had lunch waterside in Fiskardo. The marina was open and we swum in the cage. The current was very strong, so it was like one of those swimming pools for excercise! My other half kayaked so he is now resting!

Will post again later in the week.

Thanks for everyone's good wishes.

Margbem

I am really enjoying your posts.

We will be on the Spirit from Venice to Barcelona, Oct.15-Nov. 10th. I think it probably is very much the same itinerary as yours so ,therefore, I am quite interested in hearing about everything.

I don't think the weather will be exactly the same as what you are experiencing. I hope it is still warm and sunny but I know that it can be a little dicey that late in the season. I don't expect to be able to swim! But then I wouldn't do that anyway.

Please keep posting about your activities, recommendations, suggestions, anything that you have found to be extra special. Have you requested any special menu?

Thanks again for taking the time to report "Live from the Spirit"

Shirley

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you!

Our only gripe so far is that the TEA IS COLD!!!! This is terrible for us English folk. We had to ask for boiling water at breakfast as you could hold the first attempt in your hands!

Margaret - this is always Mrs S's first job once on board - Staff Tea Training! Problem is that so many other nationalities simply don't know how to make "proper" tea. Wafting some warm water over a tea bag is simply not the traditional way!

As we are not supposed to use full names on CC (for some arcane reason) let me know your suite number or email me at grumpy dot old dot man @ btinternet.com and I'll let you into the secret of getting piping hot tea all the time.

The reason for this circuitousness (circuitry?) is that it involves you speaking to particular waiting staff and telling them you want tea "the way Mrs xxxxxxx showed you". It definitely works because when we got back on Spirit in Venice in July, crew who had been on Spirit with us on crossing last December remembered! With your suite number I'll get a message to someone to contact you!

This was one of Miss W's big gripes,, no leaf tea..OMG, at worst you do the infuser at best the free leaf in the pot

next is the silk bag

then paper Oh nO:D

then there was the bag that came beside the hot water cup... (um nooooo)

now if someone can teach all how to make a machiato both my offspring will ne happy :)

Margaret - enjoying your travelogue and I agree the sailaway from Venice is unforgettable. I experienced it a couple of weeks ago on a Seabourn (step)sister line.

I've always been able to get a good cup of tea at 4pm in the Observation Lounge, but I guess if you want it with breakfast that is a different story. My recent beverage issue on Seabourn has been the quality of the coffee.

Is the management on your cruise restricting the number of nights you can dine in Restaurant 2/Veranda? In May on the Legend there was a party that attempted to eat there every night until they were finally told that others needed the opportunity. Just wondering if those occurrences brought about a policy change.

Keep up the good reports.

johnny

I will be awaiting your reports we are on Spirit from 27th Ocober Athens to Barcelona. Do you know if the same staff will be onbaord or will they have changed by then?

We were at school with a Stuart Gillespie, he would now be early 50 ish. He was a dancer at school, Just wondered if he had taken to the sea :)

Margaret - this is always Mrs S's first job once on board - Staff Tea Training! Problem is that so many other nationalities simply don't know how to make "proper" tea. Wafting some warm water over a tea bag is simply not the traditional way!

As we are not supposed to use full names on CC (for some arcane reason) let me know your suite number or email me at grumpy dot old dot man @ btinternet.com and I'll let you into the secret of getting piping hot tea all the time.

The reason for this circuitousness (circuitry?) is that it involves you speaking to particular waiting staff and telling them you want tea "the way Mrs xxxxxxx showed you". It definitely works because when we got back on Spirit in Venice in July, crew who had been on Spirit with us on crossing last December remembered! With your suite number I'll get a message to someone to contact you!

Thanks for your kind offer, but things have improved on the boiling water front!! Tea is now hot. Everything else marvellous. Wish we didn't have to get off!

Thanks for everyone's responses - they are much appreciated.

If anyone is wondering about the internet, we have a Europa sim card, purchased in the UK which uses a mobile phone signal for 2 euros a day. It is great whilst in port, although not useable whilst at sea, and you have to be careful not to open huge attachments or you use your data allowance up quickly, but great for emails and surfing the net. It fits in the ipad.

Back to the cruise! Food is still wonderful and the service brilliant. Shuttle buses today up into Corfu town were free and every half hour. Yesterday we went to Olimpia from Katakolon. Our plans were thwarted when our promised Katakolon Express bus never turned up! Don't bother to book with them as they are obviously unreliable. We rented a car from Avis for 35 euros for the day. No problem getting to Olimpia. And a fabulous experience there. It makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck!

Rock the boat show last night certainly rocked, as we had to head for a nearby island to get out of the wind to be able to hold the deck barbecue and the show. We dined in the restaurant as we didn't fancy our food being blown into the sea at the barbie!

Dining tonight with the cruise booking lady who is very nice. We have already put our money down for a future cruise deposit.

Going to Kotor tomorrow and really looking forward to the sail in. The weather is gorgeous and very hot.

Off to deck 5 forward now for a little sit in the hot tub before another round of Trivia!

Margaret - enjoying your travelogue and I agree the sailaway from Venice is unforgettable. I experienced it a couple of weeks ago on a Seabourn (step)sister line.

I've always been able to get a good cup of tea at 4pm in the Observation Lounge, but I guess if you want it with breakfast that is a different story. My recent beverage issue on Seabourn has been the quality of the coffee.

Is the management on your cruise restricting the number of nights you can dine in Restaurant 2/Veranda? In May on the Legend there was a party that attempted to eat there every night until they were finally told that others needed the opportunity. Just wondering if those occurrences brought about a policy change.

Keep up the good reports.

johnny

Haven't heard of that going on but we have only eaten there once so far.

Haven't heard of that going on but we have only eaten there once so far.
In the spring of this year on the Pride they told us the same thing but would put us on waiting list. They never called back but we made a point to call between 4 and 5 on the day we wanted to go. We got in every time as people change mind at last minute or they don't get as many resesrvations as they thought. The trick was to call them, not wait for a call.

In the spring of this year on the Pride they told us the same thing but would put us on waiting list. They never called back but we made a point to call between 4 and 5 on the day we wanted to go. We got in every time as people change mind at last minute or they don't get as many resesrvations as they thought. The trick was to call them, not wait for a call.

Yes Nancy,that's the trick.

I have never had a problem getting any reservation for a dining venue on a ship.

Whilst I still have a signal (Vodafone Albania, thank you!) here is tonight's menu.

Foie gras creme brulee, toasted brioche bun, truffle cream

White plum tomato soup, basil foam

Forest mushroom ravioli, tomato confit, garlic cream sauce

Rhubarb sorbet, champagne splash

Pan seared halibut fillet, spaghetti squash, cocotte potato, dry sherry sauce

Slow cooked fillet beal tenderloin, pumpkin mash, chanterelle, truffle madeira jus

Crisp pears and apricot bundles

Sounds wonderful.

We won Trivia again today. Got a torch to add to our Balmain pens from the other day. The only thing I have to admit is that there are only 2 teams! We are a dedicated Brit team of 6 and then there is Del who started off with a full team but now is on his own apart from people who tend to join him just because they happen to be there when it starts! So we're not that good really!!

Will post again soon.

Yesterday we went to Olimpia from Katakolon. Our plans were thwarted when our promised Katakolon Express bus never turned up! Don't bother to book with them as they are obviously unreliable. We rented a car from Avis for 35 euros for the day. No problem getting to Olimpia. And a fabulous experience there. It makes the hairs stand up on the back of your neck!

We had the same experience with Katakolon Express earlier this month. I called them the day before we arrived in Katakolon and was given very explicit directions on the meeting point. But, alas, they were a no show. They tout that "Rick Steves" recommends them, but I wonder if he knows about these shenanigans. We ended up following a crowd to the train station for the train that is no longer in service. However, they offered a coach service as a replacement. I wish we had looked into the rental car option!

We had the same experience with Katakolon Express earlier this month. I called them the day before we arrived in Katakolon and was given very explicit directions on the meeting point. But, alas, they were a no show. They tout that "Rick Steves" recommends them, but I wonder if he knows about these shenanigans. We ended up following a crowd to the train station for the train that is no longer in service. However, they offered a coach service as a replacement. I wish we had looked into the rental car option!

Sounds like a nice day on the ship for me while everyone else gets off :D

Archived