Oh dear! What Next?

Sandielle

Cruise Weekly, 17 Sep 2013

As far as medical emergencies go, this must have made the Captain a little angry.

The Thomson Spirit required the assistance of the Coast Guard while in Strangford Lough, off the coast of Northern Ireland, after a female passenger suffered a nosebleed.

Despite routine medical assistance from the onboard doctor, the passenger insisted the problem was sufficient enough to have ruined her cruise and she wanted to get off...now.

After the matter continued to escalate, the doctor reluctantly agreed and called for the Coast Guard, who met the vessel, transporting the woman to Dublin Airport.

The woman was then moved on to Dublin Hospital by ambulance, where the

nosebleed was quickly treated and stopped.

Cruise Weekly, 17 Sep 2013

As far as medical emergencies go, this must have made the Captain a little angry.

The Thomson Spirit required the assistance of the Coast Guard while in Strangford Lough, off the coast of Northern Ireland, after a female passenger suffered a nosebleed.

Despite routine medical assistance from the onboard doctor, the passenger insisted the problem was sufficient enough to have ruined her cruise and she wanted to get off...now.

After the matter continued to escalate, the doctor reluctantly agreed and called for the Coast Guard, who met the vessel, transporting the woman to Dublin Airport.

The woman was then moved on to Dublin Hospital by ambulance, where the

nosebleed was quickly treated and stopped.

Incredible, there must be more to it, to be sure.:D

I bet she gets more than a nose bleed when she gets the bill :eek:Be nice of whoever made this situation known could do the "follow up" and let us know the outcome in dollars kerchink, kerchink, kerchink :rolleyes:

Would be interesting to see if an Insurance Company would pay for this one - they could make her "pay through the nose" excuse the pun - interesting mmmm:p

Edited by dizzy1948

I'm thinking that with such an expensive detour, unless the Doctor on board was prepared to state it was an emergency (life or death) that you'd need to have contacted the Insurance company first before proceeding. They may not pay.

I'm thinking that with such an expensive detour, unless the Doctor on board was prepared to state it was an emergency (life or death) that you'd need to have contacted the Insurance company first before proceeding. They may not pay.

I'd agree, the original story sounds like the lady was very odd and that it wasn't an emergency at all. This website though has a somewhat different version - from this one it does sound like it was quite nasty.

Maybe she was on some sort of blood thinning medication (e.g. warfarin). The link to the second report sounded much more serious and that it was the doctor who ordered the evacuation, not the lady herself. Any bleeding that can't be stopped is serious, even if it is "just" a nose bleed, especially for someone who is a little older.

Maybe she was on some sort of blood thinning medication (e.g. warfarin). The link to the second report sounded much more serious and that it was the doctor who ordered the evacuation, not the lady herself. Any bleeding that can't be stopped is serious, even if it is "just" a nose bleed, especially for someone who is a little older.

Yes, that was my thought. I forgot about females and heamophilia.