Oh dear! What Next?

Sandielle

Seems to be a big difference form the way the situation was portrayed in the two stories. The second one is more believable so I recant my no insurance wish and hope all goes well.

Hindsight is great but it was just a bit of fun.

I hope that people take notice how important it is to have travel insurance that will cover such activities.:D

To be precise, females can have haemophilia, but it is very rare.:) They have to inherit the 'faulty' gene from both parents. For obvious reasons, females rarely survive long past puberty.

And the male of that relationship would also be haemophiliac so that would be a good pointer for future problems. Surviving each month, well as you say, that would be impossible.

I do wish the media would be a little more accurate and not go for the attention headline. I think those days are long gone.

The point about warfarin is also an excellent one.

I do wish the media would be a little more accurate and not go for the attention headline. I think those days are long gone.

Some media go for the most valuable angle, i.e. which buys the most dollars, since it works. :rolleyes:

Not unique to the media though.

Some media go for the most valuable angle, i.e. which buys the most dollars, since it works. :rolleyes:

Not unique to the media though.

That's so true - you definitely can't believe all you read in the newspapers or see on TV for that matter. They seem to use whatever makes the best story for the ratings.

If she is in her 70s, it is quite likely she could be on Warfarin. Hope she was insured - I have a friend whose husband is on Warfarin and it costs heaps for insurance especially as he's in his 80s. They flew to Norfolk Island for a week and told me they didn't bother with insurance. Luckily he was OK, but it was a risk I wouldn't be prepared to take.

That's so true - you definitely can't believe all you read in the newspapers or see on TV for that matter. They seem to use whatever makes the best story for the ratings.

If she is in her 70s, it is quite likely she could be on Warfarin. Hope she was insured - I have a friend whose husband is on Warfarin and it costs heaps for insurance especially as he's in his 80s. They flew to Norfolk Island for a week and told me they didn't bother with insurance. Luckily he was OK, but it was a risk I wouldn't be prepared to take.

Yes, very risky although Norfolk Island is still very Australian in a lot of aspects (not sure about medicare).:D

Yes, very risky although Norfolk Island is still very Australian in a lot of aspects (not sure about medicare).:D

Not sure about hospitals there. :D

(Actually, they do have a facility, but anything serious would have to be done on the mainland.)

• 1 year later...

I had a little time on my hands and was browsing the site and came upon this. With regard to Norfolk Island I can shed a significant amount of light on Norfolk Island, being the CEO of the Hospital. Norfolk is a self governing external territory of Australia and as such do not come under the Australian tax laws. We are governed by our own laws for the most part and have our own legislative Assembly. Medicare, the PBS or Social Security do not cover Norfolk Island and as such we have our own health insurance scheme. The Hospital is a 24 bed rural remote hospital with 3 Doctors on staff and whilst we can deal with many things, major trauma or illness must be medevaced to Australia or NZ. Travel insurance is an absolute must as a medevac costs approx $55,000.00 which must b paid up front if not insured. We do not come under the State/territory Healthcare Agreements but funded through the Norfolk Island overnment and a fee for service basis which means that medical treatment must be paid for and claimed back from the insurers.We often have Ozzie pensioners presenting their pension cards thinking that they are covered. Hope this helps.

With regard to Norfolk Island I can shed a significant amount of light on Norfolk Island, being the CEO of the Hospital.

What a small world, stumbling upon your post in an old/revived thread.

We just booked a trip to Norfolk Is to attend the Country Music festival in May this year. We are so looking forward to visiting the island.

Cheers,

Neil

Edited by mr walker