Questionable upgrade from the fairy

lolane1

I was just notified that Norwegian "Upgraded" us from a midship balcony (BA) to a Family Balcony (B2). Before I was midship and now I'm aft! Whaaa? Checking the size of the room, photos, and description, I see no difference except now I'm in a less favorable location.

Why is this considered an upgrade??? Not happy. What am I missing? There are only two of us traveling.

No, I did not book a guarantee. I BOOKED and PAID FOR a midship balcony. Please don't guess. I am miserable enough.

Sorry if my question sounded flippant, that was not my intention. I have no doubt that you are miserable. I would be as well.

I'm curious to know how this occurred, and how you were notified? Is there perhaps some issue with the cabin you booked, and therefore they need to move you elsewhere last minute? Something doesn't make sense if you did not book a guarantee.

If you didnt book a gty then you are leaving out something here. BA to B2 technically is an "upgrade" but and could not be done without your consent. NCL cant just randomly change people cabins if you booked a specific one.

Sadly, a B2 is a higher category than BA, and it is considered an upgrade.

I was just notified that Norwegian "Upgraded" us from a midship balcony (BA) to a Family Balcony (B2). Before I was midship and now I'm aft! Whaaa? Checking the size of the room, photos, and description, I see no difference except now I'm in a less favorable location.

Why is this considered an upgrade??? Not happy. What am I missing? There are only two of us traveling.

Contact a PCC at NCL and see if something can be worked out. Call a Norwegian Cruise Line Personal Cruise Consultant at 866-234-7350.

I don't believe of ever hearing of anyone who "had" to accept an upgrade on a guaranteed room.

I would definitely call NCL and question this - especially since you booked and paid for a specific cabin. Please let us know how it turns out.

what specific cabin did you book?

We booked 9618 (BA) and were moved to 9144 (B2). Notification of the upgrade was from our internet agency (one that I have used many times) at 8PM tonight telling us that Norwegian has given us a complimentary upgrade. We came home too late to call the internet agency but just called Norwegian. She laid blame on the internet agency and said, Yes, indeed our room has been given away. I am not sure who is to blame. Norwegian suggested that we call tomorrow and have a conference call with the agency. Norwegian also said that only two BA's are left - ones right next to the center elevators. There is also one room left on the 10th floor but not sure of its location.

I have been near the center elevators on Princess and never heard hall noise but not sure of of the Gem. Any help about this would be appreciated.

Final payment is due in a couple of days.

Crying real tears but hoping things can be worked out.

I dont think that you would have any noise issues with 9144 or from the elevators so I wouldnt worry about that part of it.

Your online booking site must have some kind of clause that allows them to accept an upgrade on your behalf so I would think it's their "fault" and not NCL. I would definately call them tomarrow and tell them you are not happy with the reassignment. Since you are before final payment I would think they would try to work it out rather than lose the booking.

We booked 9618 (BA) and were moved to 9144 (B2). Notification of the upgrade was from our internet agency (one that I have used many times) at 8PM tonight telling us that Norwegian has given us a complimentary upgrade. We came home too late to call the internet agency but just called Norwegian. She laid blame on the internet agency and said, Yes, indeed our room has been given away. I am not sure who is to blame. Norwegian suggested that we call tomorrow and have a conference call with the agency. Norwegian also said that only two BA's are left - ones right next to the center elevators. There is also one room left on the 10th floor but not sure of its location.

I have been near the center elevators on Princess and never heard hall noise but not sure of of the Gem. Any help about this would be appreciated.

Final payment is due in a couple of days.

Crying real tears but hoping things can be worked out.

we were in 9136, i believe, two years ago in a B2, there were four of us in the room

it was actually nice being close to the aft, the great outdoors is just two flight up. getting snacks was a breeze.

bliss and the main dining room were aft as well

it was a great location for us, well except that the kids club was forward...

we used the the stairs more and therefor got to eat more pretzel rolls

i hope it all works out for you, but please have fun no matter where you are located. The GEM is a great ship and the crew always goes above and beyond.

let us know how it all works out!!

i hope things work out for you.

Both cabins are basically the same except that the B2 cabin a Pullman bed off the ceiling.

Same thing except that you're on the other side of ship.

If there are 3 of you, you'll find it better if the Pullman bed off the ceiling is used instead of the sofa bed - you will have better floor space but you'll need to go under the Pullman bed to get to the balcony - better than going over the sofa bed!!

Believe me - been there done that.

if you want the other cabin location, better call your travel agency ASAP. they may have accepted an "upgrade" on your behalf. they may have even initiated (for example if they had another client who wanted a midship cabin or a ccabins together or such, they might have moved you to get the other client's business). If they deny doing it, ask for a conference call with NCL, so they cannot both weasel out by blaming one another.

if they want to force an upgrade on you at least try to get them to give you a good up grade. depending upon the ship, maybe aim for an aft balcony or an oversized balcony or a minisuite.

The family balcony has a larger balcony that can fit more than 2 people comfortably. To my knowledge the room itself is the same. '

I would agree though, I do not think that moving to aft is an upgrade either. I don't think I'd move to aft for any room, as the last time I cruised I could barely stand to eat in the restaurants aft. There is a lot of movement aft.

When you booked did NCL or your booking agent ask you if you would accept an upgrade? Mine asked me and I said only if it was a mini suite or higher. Also was your original cabin a handicapped accessible cabin, NCL can and will move you in that case if someone needs one and none are available.

I am in a BA midship and would not want another B category cabin anywhere else except maybe an aft facing cabin. Good kuck.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4

Sounds like the issue is with the TA and not NCL? NCL usually calls to confirm an upgrade and talks to you in advance, unless an emergency requires changing the room. I think you will find that NCL called your TA and offered the move. Make this the TA's issue and make them fix it.

Your original BA is quite far back in the row of cabins, the B2 is not that much farther back. It will be fine. Let us know what happens.

Archived