How can one find out if a cruise ship is US Coast Guard certified?

BoaterMax

1) Can a USCG certification be obtained on the fly, basically by calling into a US port and undergoing an inspection?

2) What is the process for a cruise ship to get certified by the United States Coast Guard?

3) If Equasis shows that a ship was inspected in a U.S. port, does that mean the ship is USCG certified?

ummmmmmm

A cruise ship can not load passengers in a US port, until it passes US Coast Guard inspection

the USCG inspection is largely built around the SOLAS International Requirements for (cruise) ship standards.

Can a USCG certification be obtained on the fly, basically by calling into a US port and undergoing an inspection?

recently a 'new' cruise line began operations between Miami and Bimini ... their first trip was delayed 4 WEEKS as they worked to pass USCG inspections.

In US ports the Coast Guard inspect ships as soon as passengers have left and next passengers are not allowed on board until the Coast Guard says 'OK'. I don't know if this happens every time before a ship leaves port or it is a surprise inspection.

Once, many years ago our ship found out they were going to be inspected and the crew was smoking their pot on the open crew deck which was below the deck we were on. You could smell the pot smoke coming up!

Wow! Was this on a major cruise line?

yes a mainstream one.. I wanna say Carnival but do not quote me. it was a couple of years ago

and of course when ships have engine problems the CG, when possible comes out and determines whether or not the cruise can continue safely.. like when EN had her issue and was down to one, the CG said she was fine although she limped along at a much slower pace and a port was canceled.

Wow! Was this on a major cruise line?

One example-December 1994-CUNARD QE2. We were on the ship from Southampton to NY. The ship had undergone a refit in Europe but it wasn't finished when we left Southampton. There were workers all over the place. Some people had a MISERABLE trip. We had a ball even though it wasn't EXACTLY what you would expect on a luxury cruise ship. Everyone was given their fare back plus a cert for a free cruise. The ship was held in NYC by the Coast Guard for 2 days which shortened the next Caribbean cruise and a lot of people cancelled. The ship finally left after all items on the check list were fixed but sailed minus a lot of passengers.

interesting information at

the best cruise line dot com

and

http://www.cruising.org/regulatory/issues-facts/passenger-safety-security/ship-safety

and

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/

Examination Contact Information

Annual Exams

The Coast Guard performs annual examinations to ensure foreign passenger vessels continue to maintain all the systems the Coast Guard previously examined during the ICVE in proper operating condition and that the flag Administration and RO, if applicable, have performed annual renewal surveys as required by SOLAS Chapter I, Regulation 7. Inspectors should focus on the vessel's fire fighting, lifesaving, and emergency systems and should witness a comprehensive fire and boat drill. In addition, inspectors should examine the vessel for modifications that would affect the vessel's structural fire protection and means of escape, that were completed without approval by the vessel's flag Administration or review by the MSC.

Periodic Exams

The Coast Guard performs periodic examinations to ensure vessels are being operated in a safe manner. This examination should focus on the performance of officers and crew, with specific attention paid to their training and knowledge of the ship's emergency procedures, fire fighting, lifesaving systems, and performance during the drills. Since the overall material condition of the ship should not have appreciably changed since the annual examination, inspectors may randomly sample inspection items identified for examination. Inspectors may vary the scope of the examination depending upon the material condition of the vessel, the maintenance of the vessel, and the professionalism and training of the crew.

It's my understanding, the CG Inspectors might question any crew person regarding safety issues. They could ask any sailor or bartender or dining steward certain safety questions and they are well expected to answer correctly.

Safety Training is a constant on all the cruise lines.

Never too much safety training.

I am curious to all the questions from the OP on certification fuel usage concession rates

maybe they are starting their own cruise line:confused:

Haha, no, we're a non-profit looking into the feasibility of giving an older cruise ship a new life as an ocean platform for a semi-permanent community (http://www.seasteading.org).

Thanks everyone for the answers! Really wish there were some database one could check regarding the USCG certification of a ship.

Haha, no, we're a non-profit looking into the feasibility of giving an older cruise ship a new life as an ocean platform for a semi-permanent community (www.seasteading.org).

Thanks everyone for the answers! Really wish there were some database one could check regarding the USCG certification of a ship.

Maybe this is a 'dumb' suggestion but have you contacted USCG to ask?

actually the USCG Certificate is required by US law to be displayed in a location where the pass' can view it.

I have found them on several cruise ships typically near the 'service' or purser's desk. It is in a frame and hanging in a pass' accessible area. On smaller vessels it is often hung in a window of the pilot house, facing out so the pass' can view. {I don't look for them, but because I know what they are they catch my attention ... most folks do not notice them}

If you ASK a responsible crew member they should be able to show it to you

and if you want to get technical

http://cgmix.uscg.mil/psix/

The Port State Information eXchange (PSIX) system contains vessel specific information derived from the United States Coast Guard's Marine Information Safety and Law Enforcement System (MISLE).

I'm going to make a big guess that a NON PROFIT, live aboard community that carries no "paying" passengers would be pretty much exempt from a lot of Coast Guard regulations other than things like amount of life jackets, maybe life boats, fire extinguishers and general safety equipment. I need those on my 16 foot jet boat on the Colorado river.

SOLAS rules are primarily for COMMERCIAL, passenger enterprises. I am sure you can split fine hairs both ways but if registered outside the USA and not spending a lot of time in US ports, the Coast Guard would have very little impact.

If you are looking to PURCHASE an older cruise ship, having a Coast Guard certification may be like a kind of "warranty". But I just bet a non US registered PRIVATE ship is not bound by a lot of the same regulations.

I'm going to make a big guess that a NON PROFIT, live aboard community that carries no "paying" passengers would be pretty much exempt from a lot of Coast Guard regulations other than things like amount of life jackets, maybe life boats, fire extinguishers and general safety equipment. I need those on my 16 foot jet boat on the Colorado river.

SOLAS rules are primarily for COMMERCIAL, passenger enterprises. I am sure you can split fine hairs both ways but if registered outside the USA and not spending a lot of time in US ports, the Coast Guard would have very little impact.

If you are looking to PURCHASE an older cruise ship, having a Coast Guard certification may be like a kind of "warranty". But I just bet a non US registered PRIVATE ship is not bound by a lot of the same regulations.

reading between your lines are you making reference to M/V FreeWinds??? (no? google it)

SOLAS applies to ALL commercial vessels but the application of those rules is usually up to the flag state. In the US, the rules apply to vessels regardless of flag that want to do commercial business here ... perhaps why FreeWinds, and certain other ships, do NOT land in US ports.

these are not necessarily low end ships btw ... WINDSTAR visits what US ports???? But, WINDSTAR ships (the 4 masters anyway) no longer pass SOLAS as codified in the US and so ... no loading pass' in the US.

A privately owned vessel - a yacht - that does no commercial business while visiting a US port, and is not US flagged, is not subject to commercial inspection.... a visiting boat flying Cayman flag in not subject to inspection for commercial purpose and SOLAS compliance, but IS subject to USCG inspection for other US laws and regulations as soon as it enters US waters . . . if that yacht wants to load charter pass' in Miami ... different story .. now it is a commercial vessel

If that yacht loads US pass' in St Martin (have you been watching 'Below Decks').. US(CG) has no jurisdiction unless the boat sails under US flag.

detail point . . .

Due to the problem of drug transportation by boat/ship, there are a number of standing treaties and other agreements between the United States and other countries, extending to the US and USCG in particular certain powers of the Flag State . In simpler terms a 'yacht', flying the Flag of X might be stopped and subject to boarding and inspection by USCG because the country X has granted US(CG) that authority. That the master of the vessel is not aware of this treaty is the problem of the master.

Sometimes folks realize my job was a wee bit more complicated than they envisioned . . . the Captain of a CG ship is the one on scene responsible for proper application of these rules/treaties/agreements

And in regards to SOLAS regulations, that is a major contributing factor to why so many older passenger vessels are ending up in Alang. This being one reason why the Norway was scrapped - though she was historical, the cost of repairs from the boiler explosion combined with necessary modifications and upgrades to comply with newer, more stringent SOLAS regulations was the final nail in her coffin. Had newer regulations not gone into effect, she might have been repaired (though the Norway did have some significant fuel consumption concerns, among being no longer competitive to the newer ships coming into service). Sitmar's Fairsky (1984) is also being scrapped. She was not that old of a ship to meet the scrappers, but again, couldn't meet SOLAS regulations without multi-million dollar modifications, and like the Norway, she also had steam boilers, and would have cost a fortune to convert to diesel propulsion of any sort, whether it be direct drive or gear drive. Converting to diesel-electric would likely be even more costly, either with fixed power units, or with azimuth pods. Bottom line is that older ships can have some severe drawbacks that can make them prohibitively costly to modernize/maintain.

Haha, no, we're a non-profit looking into the feasibility of giving an older cruise ship a new life as an ocean platform for a semi-permanent community (www.seasteading.org).

If you are really asking this as the beginning of your due diligence investigation before a major purchase, the lawyers & the bankers will require what I said . . . so go ahead & write via snail mail for the info.

And in regards to SOLAS regulations, that is a major contributing factor to why so many older passenger vessels are ending up in Alang. This being one reason why the Norway was scrapped - though she was historical, the cost of repairs from the boiler explosion combined with necessary modifications and upgrades to comply with newer, more stringent SOLAS regulations was the final nail in her coffin. Had newer regulations not gone into effect, she might have been repaired (though the Norway did have some significant fuel consumption concerns, among being no longer competitive to the newer ships coming into service). Sitmar's Fairsky (1984) is also being scrapped. She was not that old of a ship to meet the scrappers, but again, couldn't meet SOLAS regulations without multi-million dollar modifications, and like the Norway, she also had steam boilers, and would have cost a fortune to convert to diesel propulsion of any sort, whether it be direct drive or gear drive. Converting to diesel-electric would likely be even more costly, either with fixed power units, or with azimuth pods. Bottom line is that older ships can have some severe drawbacks that can make them prohibitively costly to modernize/maintain.

Wasn't it the same reasons Rotterdam V was finally removed from HAL's fleet? She was a much loved ship that many bemoaned leaving HAL.

I've noticed it's been years since Windstar ships have entered a U.S. port. It's likely been more than 5 or 6 years, it seems. We saw her boarding/disembarking in Barbados several times.

ahhhhh - new perspective to the question

as you peruse the "used cruise shop" listings, you'd like to get a 'CARFAX' from USCG on anything that looks promising.

As you already know there are inspection records available. A certificate is only good for one year and when a company strips a ship to sell I'd say with 99% confidence that the ship would no longer meet SOLAS or USCG regulations. In any case a full inspection would be required b4 the ship could load pass' for hire in a US port.

What you really need is an Admiralty or Maritime Lawyer on your search team. There are probably used cruise ships that have never visited a US port and therefore would never have had a USCG inspection.

Archived