Another Coffee Question

Mickeyc5

I searched the coffee threads and didn't find this so if I just overlooked it please be gentle;-/ DW and I are sailing on our first Princess cruise and will each buy a coffee card. I'll go to IC every morning to get 2cups of fresh brewed to take back to the cabin. The question is can I purchase or supply large insulated mugs for those 2 coffees?

I searched the coffee threads and didn't find this so if I just overlooked it please be gentle;-/ DW and I are sailing on our first Princess cruise and will each buy a coffee card. I'll go to IC every morning to get 2cups of fresh brewed to take back to the cabin. The question is can I purchase or supply large insulated mugs for those 2 coffees?
I don't see why not. The brewed coffee is unlimited for the length of the cruise so it shouldn't matter what size mug/cup it's in.

The question is can I purchase or supply large insulated mugs for those 2 coffees?

On the Coral in July when purchasing a coffee card we could purchase an insulated Princess mug for $5 (regular price $7.50). They didn't display it so you'd have to ask for it. Or you can bring your own coffee mug or like my wife bring an insulated glass for her cold coffee drink.

I bring two travel mugs. It's easy to grab the two mug handles together

with one hand, leaving the other hand to fumble with the door card-key.

I don't usually wear my cruise card around my neck like a dog, but that

is the one time it is handy to do so.

I bring two travel mugs. It's easy to grab the two mug handles together

with one hand, leaving the other hand to fumble with the door card-key.

I don't usually wear my cruise card around my neck like a dog, but that

is the one time it is handy to do so.

WOOF WOOF. I wear my card. But it's still easier to use my own mug. :D

Sorry- but here's another coffee card question (and soda card too)- is there a price difference between buying it before the cruise and on the ship? Do they charge the 15% gratuity on the $31 on board, while it is only $31 before the cruise? Seems like the soda card includes the 15% either way, but what about the coffee card?

On the Coral in July when purchasing a coffee card we could purchase an insulated Princess mug for $5 (regular price $7.50). They didn't display it so you'd have to ask for it. Or you can bring your own coffee mug or like my wife bring an insulated glass for her cold coffee drink.

OR...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-NEW-LARGE-PRINCESS-CRUISE-MUGS-COFFEE-CUPS-CERAMIC-MULTI-FLAG-DESIGN-/161108418433?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2582cf5f81#ht_29wt_906

Sorry- but here's another coffee card question (and soda card too)- is there a price difference between buying it before the cruise and on the ship? Do they charge the 15% gratuity on the $31 on board, while it is only $31 before the cruise? Seems like the soda card includes the 15% either way, but what about the coffee card?

The pre-paid $31 coffee card includes the 15% tip & the card cost $29+tip onboard so you save a couple of dollars by paying in advance. This is the only thing I'm aware of that is less expensive in advance. Although if you have enough OBC 'purchasing' onboard it's free.

Your 2 coffee cards can be "free" onboard if you use your OBC to purchase them or if Elite , exchange your 1 free Mini-bar setup for 2 Coffee Cards :)

With several sources of OBC , TA , Princess ,Group amenity , Military and Shareholder , everyone should end up with "some" OBC $$.

The pre-paid $31 coffee card includes the 15% tip & the card cost $29+tip onboard so you save a couple of dollars by paying in advance. This is the only thing I'm aware of that is less expensive in advance. Although if you have enough OBC 'purchasing' onboard it's free.

Your 2 coffee cards can be "free" onboard if you use your OBC to purchase them or if Elite , exchange your 1 free Mini-bar setup for 2 Coffee Cards :)

With several sources of OBC , TA , Princess ,Group amenity , Military and Shareholder , everyone should end up with "some" OBC $$.

Don't kid yourself or others, coffee cards are not free. Exchanging one thing for another isn't free and using your OBC isn't free either as once you've spent the OBC it isn't available to spend on something else.

I think the better description is "no additional charge" which admits there was a charge to begin with.

Don't kid yourself or others, coffee cards are not free. Exchanging one thing for another isn't free and using your OBC isn't free either as once you've spent the OBC it isn't available to spend on something else.

I think the better description is "no additional charge" which admits there was a charge to begin with.

I prefer your description than to say it's 'free' because it is not truly 'free'.

Even with a considerable amount of OBC we always have a balance due because we use it for other things. There may be some who prefer to use OBC for a coffee card for "no additional charge". ;)

Yes you can. :)

Poor carencpa, the original poster. They're making her crazy. It is obvious that this lady is not an experienced Princess cruiser and all the talk about OBC from multiple sources can be very confusing.

You've hit that one on the head - LOL. Just like jumping into the deep end of the pool on the first day of swimming lessons, with sharks (or is that snarks) to boot.

We are on a B2B in November, if we buy the coffee card on the first leg will this still be ok on the second leg or do we have to buy another?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The coffee card is suppose to have the ship & cruise number added when purchased. How that procedure is followed and then enforced has varied.

In July we booked a 14 day cruise that could be booked as a b2b. The barista filled out the card with the 1st cruise's number. We continued to use our coffee card on the 2nd cruise without any problems getting brewed coffee. They rarely looked at the card & maybe seeing the preceding cruise's # realized we were on a b2b.

Others may have different experiences but this has been mine. If I'm on a cruise that can be booked as multiple cruises I bring a copy of my reservation. Then if there's a problem with using a card on a b2b (even if booked as 1 longer cruise) I can try to get the PSD to authorize receiving brewed coffee. I doubt if it would ever be necessary but I prefer to be prepared just in case there's a problem. ;)

We are on a B2B in November, if we buy the coffee card on the first leg will this still be ok on the second leg or do we have to buy another?
It's my understanding that the punches are good on any cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee is good only for one cruise. I believe you would need a 2nd card for the 2nd cruise but you can use leftover punches for either brewed or specialty coffee.

OK...newbie question here. People keep saying that if you have a coffee card, you can get fresh brewed coffee at the International Café.

I am almost afraid to ask...but...what is served in the buffet/dining room?!?! Tasters Choice instant?!? :confused:

The free coffee on the ship is prepared from concentrate. It's fine for the vast majority of passengers although some refer to it as "swill." Taste is very subjective so try it before spending your money.

Thank you! :)

My mom is probably going to get the coffee card anyway, so she can get her iced coffees...also lattes, cappuccinos etc. I was just curious about the "fresh brewed coffee" that everyone mentions.

Concentrate doesn't sound very good...but truth be told, it's probably been the same thing on all of my cruises...!

We have always got the coffee card, it's well worth it, while its valid you can get Premium teas, hot chocolate, freshly brewed coffee unlimited. If you carry it over to another cruise you can only use what punches are left and fresh brewed coffee.

I will make sure when we purchase it that we get the full 14 days.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It's my understanding that the punches are good on any cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee is good only for one cruise. I believe you would need a 2nd card for the 2nd cruise but you can use leftover punches for either brewed or specialty coffee.

Need to disagree on this, Pam. If cruise is sold as "legs" , your coffee card is good for the entire length of time you're on board. You will not need a card for the 2nd cruise, since so many people buy these cruises as one only.

Thank you! :)

My mom is probably going to get the coffee card anyway, so she can get her iced coffees...also lattes, cappuccinos etc. I was just curious about the "fresh brewed coffee" that everyone mentions.

Concentrate doesn't sound very good...but truth be told, it's probably been the same thing on all of my cruises...![/quote]

Not if you've cruised with HAL. The coffee machines in the buffets are serviced with coffee grounds.

BTW - my coffee supplier, Java Coffee And Tea, tells me that there are different grades of coffee syrups. Judging by taste, Princess uses the lowest grade.:p

http://www.javacoffee.com/

Need to disagree on this, Pam. If cruise is sold as "legs" , your coffee card is good for the entire length of time you're on board. You will not need a card for the 2nd cruise, since so many people buy these cruises as one only.
Good to know. Thanks. I've never bought a coffee card so I haven't experienced using it.

Good to know. Thanks. I've never bought a coffee card so I haven't experienced using it.

Supposedly the coffee on the Royal is different from the concentrates on the other ships. We will soon find out. Meanwhile, I have already packed a good supply of Via.

Archived