Tell me about Target?

Froufie

I am in Canada, Fredericton to be excat. ours opens Nov 16th, I haven't heard too many positive things about the ones from my friends out in Western Canada.. I guess we will all have to make our own option when we get the chance to shop there

Here to report back on my morning visit to Target!

Of course the store was super busy as it opened last tuesday.....had lots of fun looking around - and yes I SPENT SOME $$$ lol.

I found the clothes to be of a 'cheaper' quality but okay for trendy stuff - yes I saw lots of tights and cardigans which might come in handy.....not impressed with any of the jewellery, purses or shoes.

Got some stuff I needed e.g. hangers, lysol wipes, dental floss, new shower curtain liner for kids bathroom, I was so excited to see the new makeup lines: sonia kashuk and pixi - got a sk concealer and blush - loved the HUGE selection of various travel sized items (got a new travel toothbrush and some kleenex packs)... but my best find was my new light up/battery operated light up makeup mirror - which i will be packing for my upcoming cruise! http://well.ca/products/conair-plastic-led-mirror-in-white_80883.html - $25.00!

I was surprised to see some food aisles - nothing much - they were still stocking some of the shelves - but I did walk thru the housewares aisles - and was stuck in the travel section for a while examining the packing cubes :D:D

I think their clothing looks cheap and is of poor quality. Name brand items like packaged underwear that is the same thing there or at Macy's for a lower price at Target would be the obvious exception. Men's underwater for example.

I don't shop there often, but when I do it's for various housewares. I think the last thing I bought there was a set of Libby drinking glasses.

I like the new Canadian Target stores. They are similar to the old Zellers stores when they were bigger and newly opened.

Nice and clean and the clearance prices on seasonal items are great. I got a new pair of water shoes last week for under $7.

Clothing wise they are good for some cheap trends or casual basics.

I love the home decor stuff and will be searching there for when we buy a bigger home.

I don't care for Walmart. The only items I go there for are some dog treats that I can't find in other stores.

Target to me is the same as WalMart: cheap-looking and poorly made clothes and shoes, but good for diving in for commodities (toilet paper, bathroom items, paper towels, garbage bags, laundry items). I find the stores poorly laid out and organized. I guess if I was a "person of Target", I'd figure it out and find it OK...

I love Target, and I hate Wal-Mart.

Same here. I barely ever step foot in Walmart. It's like a giant dollar store and just a little comparison shopping will prove you can get the same prices at other grocery or drug stores without the nasty and disorganized mess in the Walmarts in my city. They also have a horrible workplace environment and drive down the living wages where they're located. I won't support that kind of corporate greed. *steps off soapbox*

I really do love "Tar-jay" because it is one-stop shopping for many quality items for home, health and beauty. Where I live the stores are bright, spacious and clean so very easy to navigate. Rarely do I or anybody I know spend less than $100 when we go into Target. So many cute and affordable items for the whole family! I've bought a few of the designer brands there (on sale) the past couple of years but notice they don't do those kind of collaborations anymore. I think H&M edged them out of that market.

I have a Target credit card which I pay off each month so I do not get finance charges. I also fill prescriptions at Target which gives you another 5% for a day coupon when you will 5 Prescriptions. This means you basically get 10% off a day of shopping. The best thing is that even gift cards and Apple devices are discounted. I bought my iPad for 10% off on the weekend it was released with the Target card plus the 5% coupon (I save them until I know I am going to do a lot of shopping). This year we went to Disney World, and I started buying Disney Gift Cards at the 10% off for about 6 months before going away. When we arrived at Disney, I had a stack of $50 gift cards which I only paid $45 for. We had a total of $1500 but only paid $1350 This saved us money at Disney.

I wish they sold RCCL gift cards there. I would buy them to pay for my cruise!

As to the store, My wife has actually bought a lot of nice tops to wear to work (she is a nurse but does not wear whites). We buy all of the groceries that they sell there as the prices are better than anywhere else. Their meat is not as good though. All their steaks have a marinade solution in them. As to other stuff, I find their prices to be quite acceptable, and with the 5% or 10% off they are great.

I don't very often go to Target for a couple of reasons main one being the clothing. I generally will wear an XL for comfort, I don't like tight clothing. However the sizing they have is so off kilter. For me to get a t-shirt there that is comfortable I have to get a 3X. Compare that to a t-shirt I bought somewhere else that is an XL and there is no difference really. So I don't and won't get clothing there.

When I turned 30 my parents gave me ten thousand shares of Target. I still have them. We have a two storey Target close by; I love it! Depending where you live, each store is unique.

Happy shopping

M

This is so true. I have probably 4 or 5 Target stores nearby. One is really good. Three others are good. I only go to the last one if I have to. It just doesn't have the same variety or selection as the rest of them. It could be because it doesn't have a Pizza Hut so that I can't get breadsticks too though :)

Hint for those new to Target.

Check out the clearance shelves. They are located throughout the store. On the little red clearance sticker will be a puny number (1 pt font) 15, 30, 50 or 70, in the upper right corner. That is the percentage off. Somewhere online is a calendar of when things get marked down. Found it--

http://thekrazycouponlady.com/2013/01/13/target-clearance-schedule-how-to-read-the-clearance-tags/

Just got a new sportswatch for $8.49, cheaper than buying it onboard.:p

About 20 years ago we had a Target Clearance store, Smarts. Got lot's of the kid's clothes there.

Target.com shipping is free, regardless of purchase total, if you use a Target credit or debit card.

You will also find alot of clearance stuff on the end caps of each aisle. I have friends who "cruise the end caps" for deals on a regular basis. They have kids in college and love to send care packages made up of what they found.

Ha! Just lurking, sitting with my Kindle kn my Target/Gilligan & Omalley pj's. They are the most beautiful pale teal with black/white floral paisley print. I have already envisioned coffee on our Noordam balcony. So soft and fairly smoothe if folded after drying. Their clothes seem to be in "collections" I may pick up the solid coordinating robe. It was a fun find.

Blessings,

Gail

I used to drop in frequently when they carried an Isaac Mizrahi collection on a regular basis. The items made of natural fibers - cotton and silk or silk blend were very good values and well made. To me, the synthetics looked cheap. Then Isaac left for other companies. I missed the Mizzoni(sp) special collection, but the one piece that remained looked cheap. I stopped in to see the Philip Lim collection, but didn't buy. I liked the print. but it was so heavily advertised, I would feel like a walking billboard. I didn't take the time to look at the cotton items.

I LOVE Target - especially when they have their 'guest designer' lines. I recently picked up two gorgeous dresses by Kate Young for under $80 total for both that I can't wait to wear on my next cruise. One is a black and white floor length backless gown, and the other is a red one-shoulder gown with a high-low hem. I check out their website at least once a month to see what cute, trendy and inexpensive things they have. High quality? Not usually. Inexpensive, cute clothes? Definitely!

I love target for snack items, wine (in my state they carry Middle Sister, my favorite), and household goods. Clothing not so much, as most things don't fit me ( they do not carry petites) and many of their things, especially shoes, are of poor quality. I have bought some cute purses and accessory times and sometines underwear. Some targets have grocery sections, and I have gotten good deals there.

Target is my favorite place to shop for household items, cosmetics, & basic groceries. We have a Super Target that is a full grocery store, the only section that seems to be lacking is produce section. They have the best beef, Sutton & Dodge, that I will buy if we want steak, etc.

As far as clothes, I rarely buy anything there. I will watch for sales on their crew neck t-shirts ($5.00!) to wear at the gym but that's about it.

My husband knows that hell will be freezing over & pigs will be flying before I ever step foot in a Wal-Mart again.:D

Sherri:)

LOVE Target!!!!!! Especially their guest designers. Just snagged a Phillip Lim purse that I love. The Jason Wu stuff was great and dont get me started on their Missoni line!!! I also loved the FEED line they carried over the summer which donated a portion to feed children.

Archived