Are the airlines in Australia pricing us out of the market.

I've been looking at flight pricing to connect with cruises for the next few months.

During this year the airfares for short domestic flights have increased considerably.

No longer do there seem to be any cheapies. For us it seems we have to add another $500.00 on to our cruise fare just to get us to and from the ship on a flight that is only 1hr and 20 minutes.

Yet we can fly at the same time to Perth for $448 for two people, a flight time of 4 hours.:confused:

I wonder if our domestic airlines are all in on the deal pushing these prices up?

Have you noticed increased airfares from your city to board your ship.

You Sydney people don't know how lucky you are... :)

Jill:)

I've been looking at flight pricing to connect with cruises for the next few months.

During this year the airfares for short domestic flights have increased considerably.

No longer do there seem to be any cheapies. For us it seems we have to add another $500.00 on to our cruise fare just to get us to and from the ship on a flight that is only 1hr and 20 minutes.

Yet we can fly at the same time to Perth for $448 for two people, a flight time of 4 hours.:confused:

I wonder if our domestic airlines are all in on the deal pushing these prices up?

Like you I have to fly to Sydney to board the cruiseships.

As soon as I book my cruise I'm then on the lookout for "specials" from Qantas or Virgin. There is also Tiger flying from Coffs Harbour to Sydney but as they only have 1 flight per day and I'm worried that it could be delayed or even cancelled I don't consider them.

Even though I have FF points with both Qantas & Virgin, I'm happy to pay the $79-$85 fares to Sydney thereby accumulating more points for my flights to Perth each year to visit my family.

I've just booked and paid for my flights next February to meet the cruiseship. I've even looked at booking for next April for that cruise but there hasn't been a special for that month yet.

Gae

Here in NZ we have Grab a Seat .Its very good if you can fly at the times they have available , otherwise for a specific date and a specific time...its full fare.

At least with Grab a Seat they show how many seats are left at the give away prices.:D

Jill that is correct.

Airfares have gone very expensive in the last few years. BNE to SYD and MEL are for sure. at short notice also.

Does any of your cruises clash with people from the Car Racing events or Schoolies?

Jill that is correct.

Airfares have gone very expensive in the last few years. BNE to SYD and MEL are for sure. at short notice also.

Does any of your cruises clash with people from the Car Racing events or Schoolies?

No not particularly it seems whether we fly into Gold Coast airport or Brisbane, either don't offer any deals. Although flying into Gold Coast is always more expensive than into Brisbane.... tourist pricing I suppose.:rolleyes:

Edited by Gold Coast Cruisers

I'm always astounded at the credit card booking fee they charge - and it's EACH!!! :eek:

How they can justify charging $7 each at Qantas and $7.70 at Virgin I do not understand??

ICCC should be looking into this rip-off!! What do others think?

Gae

I'm always astounded at the credit card booking fee they charge - and it's EACH!!! :eek:

How they can justify charging $7 each at Qantas and $7.70 at Virgin I do not understand??

ICCC should be looking into this rip-off!! What do others think?

Gae

And once again if you were booking a flight within the USA you wouldn't have a credit card charge fee:) However we have to pay fees for every travel booking we make in Australia.:mad:

Jill

We recently booked our flights from Melbourne to Sydney return. We paid about $345 for 3 of us total return. Tiger had a sale & Jetstar price match by 10%. So about $55 per person each way including taxes ect.

We are coming back to Sydney on a Sunday but the Monday is labour day in Melbourne so it worked out that we could have an extra day in Sydney rather than fly on Sunday afternoon which is $$$ the savings will pay for the hotel.

You basically need to workout what flights you want and when you see a sale quickly book.

And once again if you were booking a flight within the USA you wouldn't have a credit card charge fee:) However we have to pay fees for every travel booking we make in Australia.:mad:

Jill

I feel the credit card fee (usually 1.5% ?) is minimal. On the flight to Perth that you mention it is $6.72.:)

I think domestic air travel is inexpensive these days. I remember having to do a return trip Syd-Mel back in the late 80's and it was over $800 :eek: That's a lot of money in todays dollars & there was no GST then. That was in the days of the two airline policy and NO competiton.

Of course it depends on timing to get the cheaper fares - time of year, time of week, time of day.

I can often pick up a Virgin or Qantas flight Syd to Mel or Bris for maybe $139 or $159 (inlcuding luggage). I think that's pretty good. Haven't flown to GC recently but often got Jetstar one way for maybe $119 or $129 - I can't drive there for that.

I don't let cc fees worry me - it's a cost of doing the transaction as I see it. What's the other option - drive to the airport and pay cash? Send them a cheque? - can't remember the last time I wrote a cheque.

Lastly, yes I agree it is good to live in Sydney and cruise from here. That said, for our upcoming cruise we have to fly to Singapore to get the ship :)

I think domestic air travel is inexpensive these days. I remember having to do a return trip Syd-Mel back in the late 80's and it was over $800 :eek: That's a lot of money in todays dollars & there was no GST then. That was in the days of the two airline policy and NO competiton.

I remember the high price I used to have to pay to fly Brisbane - Sydney for business in the 1980s. I think the fare was close to $500 each way. As you say, money was worth a lot more in the 1980s.

Try booking flights from Perth to WA towns!!!!!!! It is costing more to fly my grandsons from Esperance to Perth 700 kms (ish) 1 hr 10 mins - than it is for them to fly Perth to Melbourne - 3 hrs and about 2000 kms (ish). Fly in Fly outs to the mines have upped the prices for us. (Not them personally - it's the "boom") Then there is the booking fee - which can range from $7.50 per person to $11.50. So yes, the prices have gone haywire. :eek:

Edited by dizzy1948

I don't think air fares are expensive, compared to what they have been, and the cost of air travel is.

There's the fairly modern joke about the taxi fare costing more than the domestic air fare as well...

and sometimes the airport parking can be more than the flight cost:)

Try booking flights from Perth to WA towns!!!!!!! It is costing more to fly my grandsons from Esperance to Perth 700 kms (ish) 1 hr 10 mins - than it is for them to fly Perth to Melbourne - 3 hrs and about 2000 kms (ish). Fly in Fly outs to the mines have upped the prices for us. (Not them personally - it's the "boom") Then there is the booking fee - which can range from $7.50 per person to $11.50. So yes, the prices have gone haywire. :eek:

Thats because they can only get so many bums on seats in those planes so its always going to be more expensive than a big jet that holds 200 plus people doing the Sydney to Melbourne run.

Ok here's a challenge.

Find your airfare from your city to Sydney 09 November 2013 and return from Sydney 23 November 2013. Remember to include the price of one checked bag and lets see what everyone comes up with. This is for two adults travelling.

Qantas includes checked baggage (Sky Scanner) $321 for two adults

OUTBOUND - 09 November 2013

09:00 MEL Melbourne Tullamarine Qantas QF418

10:25 SYD Sydney Kingsford Smith 1h 25

RETURN - 23 November 2013

14:00 SYD Sydney Kingsford Smith Qantas QF439

15:35 MEL Melbourne Tullamarine 1h 35

Just looked at VIRGIN as they are usually $10 less than Qantas and they have their Saver Fares (includes luggage) at $79 per person each way so a total of $316 for 2 passengers for dates 9 Nov & 23 Nov.

QANTAS for the same dates are $85 per person each way = $340

Edited by gaechann

Ok here's a challenge.

Find your airfare from your city to Sydney 09 November 2013 and return from Sydney 23 November 2013. Remember to include the price of one checked bag and lets see what everyone comes up with. This is for two adults travelling.

Qantas $86 each way per person including luggage.