Cruise Insurance with air?

Bases5

How do we buy travel insurance if we book a cruise a year in advance. I need to buy ASAP so pre existing is covered. ( my 82 year old dad with health issues lives with me)

I can't even book air that far in advance. Do I guess at the cost for air with extra $ cushion.

Do I buy separate polices.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

You purchase the insurance for the cruise now.

When you purchase the air, you call the insurance company to add that coverage, then pay the additional premiums.

Before you buy, do your homework. Most policies have time limits to add additional coverages (48 hours after air purchase to add to policy) to maintain your pre-ex exclusion.

You forget to notify them, you'll be SOL.

I booked my cruise in September 2012 and my airfare for that cruise today. When I purchased the insurance (a couple of days after booking the cruise), they told me to use an estimate of what the airfare was to be. (Turned out my estimate was within $5 of the actual price.)

If you are using one of the sites to compare policies, would suggest you call and speak to one of their reps. They will advise you as to what is suggested.

I have done both... estimated the airfare, and also added costs later (airfare, hotels, etc.)

You purchase the insurance for the cruise now.

When you purchase the air, you call the insurance company to add that coverage, then pay the additional premiums.

Before you buy, do your homework. Most policies have time limits to add additional coverages (48 hours after air purchase to add to policy) to maintain your pre-ex exclusion.

You forget to notify them, you'll be SOL.

Excellent advice.

Keith

Speak with the folks at

www.TripInsuranceStore.com

to compare different types of policies.

NOTE: You ONLY need to purchase MINIMAL coverage to "start the clock" and thus cover any pre-existing conditions.

If the deposit is $500 for two, just insure that amount.

You'll have the same "time window" (typically 14 or 21 days, but it varies, so check!) to ADD coverage as you make additional non-refundable payments for the cruise, or add air tickets (through the cruise line or separately).

Ditto for any excursions. Just call them and add the coverage for those when you pay for these additional costs.

The insurance is a "one time" charge, based upon the total costs covered.

No need to pay for coverage for the entire cruise/airfare *now*, if all you've paid for is the deposit.

BUT CHECK WITH THE INSURANCE VENDORS (or broker) to make sure you are following the terms of the specific policy you purchase.

And then get it in writing!

GeezerCouple

Archived