Gem Canada/New England 9/14-21

Big Al B.

What would you say was the average age of the passengers?

I can't answer for the OP but I took this cruise last September and the majority of passengers were definitely older than on my previous cruises. I would say average about 50-60 with many quite a bit older. That was also the first cruise I have taken when school was in session so that may explain the older demographic.

What would you say was the average age of the passengers?

Have done 2 fall NE/Canada cruises..(CCL & NCL)..both times I would say 50-60+ is a good average for majority of pax..with some younger w/kids and some older...(many less kids than on our other itineraries when school is in session) Just my observation...

To be honest, we didn't participate in the organized staff activities because of the port intensity of the cruise. However, I didn't hear anything about that program. I have a feeling it isn't done anymore, or wasn't on this itinerary.

I'd agree that the average age seemed to be in the 50-60. I am 70 and I saw a lot of older folks as well as younger :). We didn't see all that many children around. Most of them seemed to be pre-school age. Again, I think many of the families with small children take most of their meals in the Garden Cafe as opposed to the MDR's. It was also a bit chilly for swimming.

I submitted the review last evening.

We were also on this cruise. We are mid-50's, though I'd stay the majority of passengers were 65+++. I agree there were very few children.

The Garden Café was usually 3/4's full during evening meals. We were extremely disappointed in the MDR food. This is the first time EVER in almost 30 years of cruising that we opted for the buffet over the MDR. We went to the MDR for the first 4 nights and the food was just not up to par. Wish we had not went that many nights. From meeting and chatting with fellow passengers it seemed dissatisfaction with the MDR was a common topic.

One of the pools appeared to be heated, the one with the slide, as people were in it on several occasions. I did stick my hand in and it felt warm. We used the hot tubs, but never the pool.

I just submitted my review. I'll be glad to try and answer any questions.

Thanks for the review...can you please tell us more about the ports --what did you do...

Also..how was the weather...?

PS--not looking forward to NYC port embarcation..:o--how was debarkation --any better ?

The buffet also filled quickly at breakfast, especially early. I went up a couple of times about 15 minutes after the posted opening time and seating was already getting limited. As to the MDR food, we didn't have a problem to be honest.

Halifax: DW and I just walked along the Harbor Walk to the Maritime Museum. (We had been here several times before). Our friends (7) took a van tour ($50 an hour) to Peggy's Cove. They stopped at a lobster pound and the Titanic cemetary. Tour was about 4 hours and they felt it was worth the money.

St John: We rented two vans from Enterprise (there were 9 of us) and went to St Martin's. We ate lunch at Seaside Restaurant and then drove the Fundy Trail before returning to pier. Cost was about $80 per van.

Bar Harbor: Again, a place we had been to so we just took one of the free LL Bean buses and rode through the park. Our friends took the 2 1/2 hour Ollie's Trolley tour and said it was worth it.

Boston: Again we rented a couple of cars and drove up to Rockport for lunch. (as other places, we had done Boston). In retrospect, I wouldn't recommend this unless you are familiar with the area. One of our friends was from Mass and getting to Rockport wasn't bad, but getting back to the pier was a bit of a mess. Signage is not good on the roads.

Newport: We took the Grand Mansion and something tour from the ship. Visited The Elms, which was very nice. Our friends did the Breakers and Ocean Walk and also liked it. Both of these were ships tours.

Debarkation was much less hectic. We were on the bus and on our way by 11:00 and got home in quick time.

The buffet also filled quickly at breakfast, especially early. I went up a couple of times about 15 minutes after the posted opening time and seating was already getting limited. As to the MDR food, we didn't have a problem to be honest.

Halifax: DW and I just walked along the Harbor Walk to the Maritime Museum. (We had been here several times before). Our friends (7) took a van tour ($50 an hour) to Peggy's Cove. They stopped at a lobster pound and the Titanic cemetary. Tour was about 4 hours and they felt it was worth the money.

St John: We rented two vans from Enterprise (there were 9 of us) and went to St Martin's. We ate lunch at Seaside Restaurant and then drove the Fundy Trail before returning to pier. Cost was about $80 per van.

Bar Harbor: Again, a place we had been to so we just took one of the free LL Bean buses and rode through the park. Our friends took the 2 1/2 hour Ollie's Trolley tour and said it was worth it.

Boston: Again we rented a couple of cars and drove up to Rockport for lunch. (as other places, we had done Boston). In retrospect, I wouldn't recommend this unless you are familiar with the area. One of our friends was from Mass and getting to Rockport wasn't bad, but getting back to the pier was a bit of a mess. Signage is not good on the roads.

Newport: We took the Grand Mansion and something tour from the ship. Visited The Elms, which was very nice. Our friends did the Breakers and Ocean Walk and also liked it. Both of these were ships tours.

Debarkation was much less hectic. We were on the bus and on our way by 11:00 and got home in quick time.

thanks! we also have done this before..but do have 2 private tours booked..one at Bar Harbor..how bad was tender problem..worried about timing........

Also...how was the weather...?

We're going on this cruise on Saturday.

As far as Bar Harbor....where do you get the LL Bean Shuttle....and where does it go.

Otherwise, we'll do Ollie's Trolley.

The buses go from the Village Green. It is straight up the hill about 2-3 blocks from the pier. We took bus 1 to the Visitor Center, then the Loop Bus (4) around and back to the Center. Took Bus 1 back to town. Here is a link to the bus routes and the stops. We just rode and looked (already have pics). One consideration is that when you get off at a stop to look around, you add about a half hour to your time since the bus doesn't wait, but just continues on its route. http://www.exploreacadia.com/

thanks! we also have done this before..but do have 2 private tours booked..one at Bar Harbor..how bad was tender problem..worried about timing........

Also...how was the weather...?

I think they said to allow 45 minutes for tendering, I would do more. I think they were having some equipment problems because they took one of the tenders out of the water.

Our weather was perfect, clear skies, temps in the 70's everywhere but Halifax where it was high 60's.

What time did you get to the Manhattan pier on embarkment day? How long did it take you to get on the ship once you were there?

For disembarkment did you self walk your luggage or what time did start to leave the ship?

I think it must have been a bit before 2 when the bus pulled up at pier. We got onto the ship at a little after 3. About 15 minutes before lifeboat drill. The first part of the terminal lines (entrance to security) was one line for both NCL and Carnival. Also, we had to stand in the NCL line and wait for at least 15 minutes while their computers "did a report". Our biggest problem was the traffic getting to the pier (over an hour from Lincoln Tunnel exit).

Disembarking was fairly quick. We didn't walk off. The day before they give you a timeline of colors (walk offs, Latitudes priorities, and then a series of colors which are 15 minutes apart.) The first color at 9 and last at 10. You pick up your own tags at Guest Services. We were required to be out of rooms by 8 and had used tags for the second departure. We were out of the terminal by 9:45.

Archived