Topkapi Palace

We arrive in Istanbul at 4 pm on a Monday and are there overnight and till 4 pm Tuesday. I have read that Topkapi palace is closed on Tuesday, and closes at 7 pm Monday. Could we get a highlight view between 5 and 7 on Monday? Also, I have read that if we do a ships excursion that sometimes places that are closed to the public are open for ships tours. Does anyone know about this - is it a fact? Thanks for any info.

Istanbul is one place where cruise ships definitely are able to make special arrangements to visit sites that are normally closed. At least, that was the case when I was there with Princess a few years ago and I have read several posts since then confirming it is still true.

On the other hand, if you get to Topkapi by 5pm and have two hours there, I would think that is probably enough time to see most things. Topkapi is large and there are a number of different areas, some more interesting than others. The areas I liked were the Treasury (of course, with all the jewels), the kitchens, the gallery with portraits of the sultans, and the Harem (the best bit, to me).

We arrive in Istanbul at 4 pm on a Monday and are there overnight and till 4 pm Tuesday. I have read that Topkapi palace is closed on Tuesday, and closes at 7 pm Monday. Could we get a highlight view between 5 and 7 on Monday? Also, I have read that if we do a ships excursion that sometimes places that are closed to the public are open for ships tours. Does anyone know about this - is it a fact? Thanks for any info.

Hi Josie

Amen to all cruisemom says. We were in the exact same position as you in 2011 and hired a guide to go round the Topkapi Palace. The Harem (best bit) had a last admittance of 5 pm so if you go on your own (and there's no reason at all why you shouldn't) make sure you don't turn up after 5 pm, and ideally a few minutes before. If you want a preview of it this is what we saw there

All the best, Tony

• 2 weeks later...

IF the ship offered a tour on Tuesday, I'd consider that because IMO 2 hours for Topkapi is not nearly enough. But if its 2 hours for not at all, go for it and go directly to the harem, when you finish there you can use the rest of the time for maybe one other feature that interests you. I'm thinking late in the day, it should not be crowded, that's a good thing!

• 2 weeks later...

We spent four hours doing Topkapi and the Harem. It was great. You can skip some of the exhibits and cram it into two hours. The Harem is great, but we didn't think it was any better than the rest of the museum. You don't need a guide, except a guide might be better to cram four hours into two. We did the audio guide, but that might slow you down.

I wonder if the 7:00 is when they stop admitting new visitors versus when you may have to leave. Some sites will give you an extra 30-60 minutes after they stop admitting new visitors.

I have the brochure that was given to us for the audio guide. It says that in Winter Season the hours for the Main part of the Palace is 09:00-17:00 (hours of ticket sale 09:00-16:00hrs.

The Harem

Hours of Operation 09:00-16:30hrs Hours of ticket sale 09:00-1600

Summer Season

Main Part of Palace

H of Opn 09:00-19:00 Ticket Sale 09:00-18:00 hrs

Harem

H of Opn 09:00-17:30 Ticket Sale 09:00-17:00 hrs

I would interpret this to mean that admittance would only be when ticket sales are available. I think when the hours of operation are done you would be rounded up and told to leave.

We were at the palace in late September and that was still Summer.

Archived