Alcohol Confiscated - Caught !!

cruisesusie

The funniest is the people who are miffed when the corkage

is five-times the cost of their three-dollar wine at walmart.

I somehow doubt these people are a demographic that princess

hopes to attract.

Harsh but probably true :rolleyes:

No wanting to be controversial, but I just don't get it why are so many people getting so hot under the collar about such a piffling amount $15 as a proportion of the cruise cost is nothing, if you can't afford a bottle of wine maybe Pablo is right. The argument about wine quality is laughable this is a mass market cruise line not a luxury line and as such their offering isn't bad in any standard restaurant you will pay 200% more for a wine you can purchase in the supermarket.

Yes we bring wine on-board for guzzling on our balcony and before we were elite we used to order gin and tonic for our cabin, now we swap it all to gin and tonic.

Rules are rules in my opinion obey them or change providers - or as some appear to think - I don't like that rule so I'll lie and cheat to get my own way. I wonder why our world is becoming self centred and dysfunctional. What scares me is some of those openly boasting about their smuggling techniques are parents and grand parents so what of the next generation

Cantwaitfornextcruise,

I really like your post. When it comes to rule of private companies or even rule of law, I think we can deal with those we disagree with in a few different ways. The first being that if you disagree with a private company's rules or restrictions, don't patronize that company. Secondly, if you really think that company should change that rule or restriction, work constructively toward getting them to do so. This may or may not work, but at least you've given it your best shot. But, to break the rule, try to find sneaky ways around the rule and complain when your plan is foiled is childish. After all, we are not talking about unjust rules that effect society, such as segregation, women's suffrage or apartheid. We are talking about alcohol. Live with the rules, work to change them or take your business elsewhere.

Cantwaitfornextcruise,

I really like your post. When it comes to rule of private companies or even rule of law, I think we can deal with those we disagree with in a few different ways. The first being that if you disagree with a private company's rules or restrictions, don't patronize that company. Secondly, if you really think that company should change that rule or restriction, work constructively toward getting them to do so. This may or may not work, but at least you've given it your best shot. But, to break the rule, try to find sneaky ways around the rule and complain when your plan is foiled is childish. After all, we are not talking about unjust rules that effect society, such as segregation, women's suffrage or apartheid. We are talking about alcohol. Live with the rules, work to change them or take your business elsewhere.

Thank you I anticipated getting flamed, I just find this whole subject saddening that adults would spend so much effort planning to break the rules

Enjoy your cruise we did that same itinerary in Jan/ Feb and loved every moment

Edited by cantwaitfornextcruise

The funniest is the people who are miffed when the corkage

is five-times the cost of their three-dollar wine at walmart.

I somehow doubt these people are a demographic that princess

hopes to attract.

Oh! They would rather hope to attract the elitist, patronizing and condescending demographic?

I'm unfamiliar with the new policy. Help, what is it?

No new policy......basically you can't take booze on the ship, it's been this way for years so I don't see why all the smugglers on here are moaning, the wine on board is cheaper than any restaurant I've been to.....I buy a 35ml bottle of spirits a few buckets of beer for the cabin and that does me, you want more than that you need rehab!!! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm unfamiliar with the new policy. Help, what is it?
You're still allowed to bring unlimited wine aboard. You're allowed to bring one 750 ml bottle per adult passenger for free. What's new is that you're supposed to have all of the wine in your carry-on luggage and that Princess will charge the $15 corkage fee upfront for any bottles after the one free one per adult passenger.

The new policy doesn't affect us much because we were already paying the corkage fee for the bottles we carried to dinner. Where it will have an impact on us is that we will no longer able to bring a larger box of wine for enjoyment in our cabin. We'll now have to bring a couple of bottles instead.

What are the chances of clearing the pier and ship entry with wine and/or liquor in a carry on bag at the Ft. Lauderdale embarkation port?

Wine would not be a problem. Anything over two bottles (assuming another adult is with you) may well be charged $15/bottle. The liquor will be a problem and if they see it on the scanner (chances are excellent) they will take it.

Cantwaitfornextcruise,

It is nice that you follow the contract to the letter. I am sure Princess is very happy. Unfortunately Princess does not always do the same for the contract they wrote in their favor. Then the government gets involved in a court of law. An action that they are not all that unfamiliar with.

I'm wondering if any of you people complaining about Princess's "greedy" mark-up on wines in the dining room ever even go out to a restaurant when you're at home.

Santa Margherita Pinot Grigio:

local Italian restaurant of mid-range quality/ambiance: $57

Princess: $41

$57? I would look for another place. Massive over charging. In Australia we would report them to Dept of Fair Trading. Not being a smart alec here, just factual.

In USA I know our Yellow Tail wines are very popular, we can buy them in the supermarket for $8, even at my golf club restaurant I can buy a bottle for $14. I can only imagine what it would cost on Princess or a US Restaurant.

On Princess, we normally go for the Chilean Wines for around $25.

Edited by NSWP

You're still allowed to bring unlimited wine aboard. You're allowed to bring one 750 ml bottle per adult passenger for free. What's new is that you're supposed to have all of the wine in your carry-on luggage and that Princess will charge the $15 corkage fee upfront for any bottles after the one free one per adult passenger.

The new policy doesn't affect us much because we were already paying the corkage fee for the bottles we carried to dinner. Where it will have an impact on us is that we will no longer able to bring a larger box of wine for enjoyment in our cabin. We'll now have to bring a couple of bottles instead.

Won't they just charge you for the say four bottles box? Have you spoke to someone that connfirmed "no box"? So much more convenient for the cabin.

Won't they just charge you for the say four bottles box? Have you spoke to someone that connfirmed "no box"? So much more convenient for the cabin.

From what I have read, Princess does not like boxes because they are harder to detect when placed in checked luggage.

With a pair of shoes on top, at x-ray, they look like a shoe box.

In France we can buy wine for only a few €€€ which cost £££ in the UK some are not comparing grapes with grapes.

Rules are rules, it's clearly printed on the boarding pass and luggage tag what the allowance is if people don't like it spend your hard earned cash with a company who suits you better.

The smugglers cost us all cash at the end of the day, Princess is a business which wants a $$$ bottom line to generate for Carnival Corp and will do what it has to get achieve this, as indeed all businesses will do, so basically I don't want to subsidise the cheats

Tea and water drinkers? As far as I can recall, there are no specific limits on their consuming of said beverages. If one doesn't like the wine/ alcohol policy, protest with your wallet and take your business elsewhere. Yes, I do follow the rules because that's the right thing to do. If Princess or others do not, that is on their heads, not mine!

Tea and water drinkers? As far as I can recall, there are no specific limits on their consuming of said beverages. If one doesn't like the wine/ alcohol policy, protest with your wallet and take your business elsewhere. Yes, I do follow the rules because that's the right thing to do. If Princess or others do not, that is on their heads, not mine!

I have. I haven't cruises with RCL since they changed their rules and we're definitely doing more land trips now or booking with cruise lines that have drink packages. I get tired of people who drink water with dinner or have a bill of $50 at the end of a cruise lecturing me about "Smuggling" when my onboard bill is $1,000 > Who's really cheating Princess?

I have. I haven't cruises with RCL since they changed their rules and we're definitely doing more land trips now or booking with cruise lines that have drink packages. I get tired of people who drink water with dinner or have a bill of $50 at the end of a cruise lecturing me about "Smuggling" when my onboard bill is $1,000 > Who's really cheating Princess?

May I clarify we don't drink water at dinner, we have wine, our favourite pre-dinner venue is vines, and post dinner any venue with a game show and trust me my husband would swap our on-board accounts in a heart beat, is that a deal, we all live differently but cheating is cheating in any language.

But I do agree I don't wish to subsidise anyone else's live choices I choose what charities I donate to.

Just returned from the CB. We put a few water bottles in our checked baggage with Bacardi white in it. Just in case that got confiscated - we also pre-ordered through guest services a bottle of Bacardi to be delivered to our room. Our bags came unopened - and nothing confiscated. I also had written right on the bottle with a piece of tape on it " Rum ".

We drank all of it, as well as ordered every day drinks on-board.

Let the Flaming begin:p:D

Cheating Princess by only drinking water? I hope your comment was tongue in cheek since drinking alcohol is something that many people don't do at all for religious, health or personal reasons. Hydration is something we all need and water is the most common way to get it. I do drink wine and mixed drinks, in moderation, and have no problem with paying for it when I do.

Perhaps someone who is a bit more technically minded than I am can explain how the x-ray machine works on liquid in a plastic container.

Now, I know that the metal lids/caps or foil on bottles will show up when scanned, but say red wine in a plastic bladder or container, with no metal attached.

What say you?