how soon after final payment is room assigned?

TVanTuyl

I paid Monday my final payment for my November cruise, the last day that I could pay for it is this Saturday but I was hoping by paying it earlier I may get my room assignment sooner (I booked a balcony guarantee), but its been a few days ... what is the typical timeframe for room assignments? After the (roughly) 60 day prior to cruise date final pay date time frame? Does that make sense lol

• 1 month later...

Shogun - really? How could they not have you assigned by the morning of the cruise. Amazing!

Maddle

PS - this isn't quite a zombie thread, but I am waiting for my own assignment.

Edited by Maddle

It's all based on supply and demand. When you book or pay for a cruise or your Captain's Circle level has nothing to do with it. It's computerized based on demand for specific categories and demand for those categories. You could be assigned tomorrow or find out at the pier when you check in for your cruise. You may or may not be "upgraded." Most "upgrades" are the same category in a different location. The computer will decide the location so be careful what you wish for.

It sounds like the ship was full and they were waiting for no shows or extreme last minute cancellations for a stateroom to open up.

That's what I mean - they were ON THE SHIP! What if no room opened up? How can that be?

Waiting until check-in I can understand - but "come on board! There's always room for one more" does not seem like a reliable business model.

Pam - I think you are right, it's all done by some load factor algorithm.

Maddle

That's what I mean - they were ON THE SHIP! What if no room opened up? How can that be?

Waiting until check-in I can understand - but "come on board! There's always room for one more" does not seem like a reliable business model.

Pam - I think you are right, it's all done by some load factor algorithm.

Maddle

Don't freak out based on what that other poster said. He always has some outlandish story that never actually happens in real life to other people. You'll have your assignment before you board, although it's not uncommon to have to wait until you're pierside and have the porters look it up for you and label your bag tags there.

Twice we've found out our cabin assignments on the way to the ship. Once was when we flew to Seattle for a few days before an Alaskan cruise. The other time was also for an Alaskan cruise. We received our cabin assignment while on the land portion we were doing before the cruise.

Don't freak out based on what that other poster said. He always has some outlandish story that never actually happens in real life to other people. You'll have your assignment before you board, although it's not uncommon to have to wait until you're pierside and have the porters look it up for you and label your bag tags there.

Thanks. Not freaking out. I've booked GTY before, and I know it is a roll of the dice. I'm a good six weeks out before my cruise, and the Flash sale is still going on. I know I have to wait. I don't expect much of an upgrade anyway because the mini- and full-suites are all booked.

I just happened to reboot this thread because I was looking over my search results, and here's Shogun waiting in the lobby of the ship for a bed. I just HAD to say "really? how can this be?"

Maddle