LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Sorry about not replying about bringing wine on board. I carried 4 bottles of wine on board clearly visible in an open Vera Bradley bag. I had expected to pay a corkage fee on the 2 extra bottles but no one said anything. They were openly brought to the dining room (one per evening) to our table, and except for the Crown Grill, were never dharged for a corkage fee. It was very pleasant to drink my favorite wines that I never found on board.

Meridian Bay had a number of Inaugural items. Drinking my morning coffee from my inaugural mug as we speak. On another matter, our disembarkation while not the best, surely wasn't the worst.....:):):)

Bob

p.s. I just submitted my review. Also posted it here on the main Princess board as well.

Bob,

What, where is Meridian Bay?

Thanks!

Made of a metal, which is magnetic; probably light guage steel.

Neither aluminum nor stainless steel are magnetic.

Magnets are only attracted to ferrous metals which contain iron or steel. As GeeDunk stated, magnets are not attracted to stainless steel and aluminum. The exterior of the cabin walls are thin sheets of steel with an outer covering.

If the Royal's conductive-metal (to get the discussion away from "magnetic properties" which doesn't matter) parts of the cabins, whether steel OR aluminium, are connected together at the seams more completely than in other ships, what is created is called a "Faraday Cage" which y'all can look up in Google if interested.

A Faraday Cage is very good protection against lightning, electromagnetic interference, radio signals and yes, Wireless Ethernet. Static electricity and radio will travel on the outside and not get in.

If this is what's happened, it is going to be rather difficult (read: expensive) to correct to allow WiFi from hallway transmitters to better penetrate the rooms.

On the bright side, it'll be safer during thunderstorms! :D

Rick

too geeky by half

Edited by sminfiddle
etaoin shrdlu

would love to hear if anyone has done the ultimate ship tour on the royal princess

We did this tour on the Royal's TransAtlantic just a few weeks ago. It was fascinating, lasted almost 4 hours & we toured all the "back allies" in depth. They did not take us into the Medical Center as there were at that time too many sick patients & we didn't tour the laundry as the laundry was extremely busy with 3-4 days behind work! We were given as gifts: personal stationery, an Aqua blue galley apron, a plush velvet/terry bath robe, pictures from almost every venue visited. One photo taken with Captain Draper in the bridge, he signed.

Sign up at the Pursers' Desk as soon as you board. I believe they charged about $115 each but it was well worth the price. They did 2 tours on this cruise & each tour took 12 passengers only. Hope you get to do the tour & enjoy!

Judy

would love to hear if anyone has done the ultimate ship tour on the royal princess

We did the UST on the Royal and it was $150 per person. Very similar to the one we did on the Diamond a few years ago for the same price. The bridge on the Royal is far advanced in technology over the Diamond however.

• 4 months later...
Thank you and everyone else for there insight on your TA on the Royal.

You keep saying not to book a M deck cabin in the aft or mid aft. Well we were upgraded??? to M508 from A127. Hoping that we are under the carpeted area, and not under a serving station as you. If you have a chance to peek in this cabin, or see where under the HC it is located, it would be greatly appreciated.

Enjoy the rest of your trip.

Lynn

Lynn - you posted that you had been upgraded on Royal to A127. Did you actually cruise in that cabin? I am trying to figure out which balcony cabins on Royal Princess are connecting. Do you recall if there is an inside door that connects the cabin to A129? Thanks!

Lynn - you posted that you had been upgraded on Royal to A127. Did you actually cruise in that cabin? I am trying to figure out which balcony cabins on Royal Princess are connecting. Do you recall if there is an inside door that connects the cabin to A129? Thanks!

Yes, there is a connecting door. Same with 211 and 215. The opposite port side cabins are the same. There are also 4 sets of connecting cabins on Aloha in the aft section.

According to the Cruise Atlas from Princess for 2014 -2015, the diagram shows that A127 and A129 have an inside connecting door. Did you also look on- line at the ship's diagram to confirm? Or better yet, call 1 800 PRINCESS and ask one of the agents just to be sure.

Thanks Pia for the info!

Ann, I am looking for first-hand confirmation by people who've actually been in the connecting rooms. My mother-in-law has talked to Princess, but the agents she has talked to haven't known for sure if the room connected by the balcony or an inside door. Also, the diagrams for the Royal that are currently on the Princess website don't show connecting rooms or even which cabins will accommodate 3 or 4 people.

Thanks!

Edited by SusanL10
misspelling

Thanks Pia for the info!

Ann, I am looking for first-hand confirmation by people who've actually been in the connecting rooms. My mother-in-law has talked to Princess, but the agents she has talked to haven't known for sure if the room connected by the balcony or an inside door. Also, the diagrams for the Royal that are currently on the Princess website don't show connecting rooms or even which cabins will accommodate 3 or 4 people.

Thanks!

I understand Susan. I do hope that you can find someone who has been in either cabin and can tell you.

Thanks Pia for the info!

Thanks!

Susan, I have no first hand experience but I took this screen shot for you. It is of the Royal Princess. The only inside connecting balcony rooms seem to be forward on Aloha and Baja decks only.

23mlbt2.png

My mother-in-law has talked to Princess, but the agents she has talked to haven't known for sure if the room connected by the balcony or an inside door. Also, the diagrams for the Royal that are currently on the Princess website don't show connecting rooms or even which cabins will accommodate 3 or 4 people.

Thanks!

Princess does not know whether their own ship has inside connecting doors? :eek:

Susan, I have no first hand experience but I took this screen shot for you. It is of the Royal Princess. The only inside connecting balcony rooms seem to be forward on Aloha and Baja decks only.

23mlbt2.png

Inside connecting balconies? I believe OP wanted to know about connecting doors in balcony cabins. Insides may have connecting doors, but they definitely don't have balconies. ;)

..,Also, the diagrams for the Royal that are currently on the Princess website don't show connecting rooms or even which cabins will accommodate 3 or 4 people.

Thanks!

If you do a mock booking and enter 3 (or 4) passengers, only cabins that can accommodate 3 (or 4) will be shown. The only way I know to find cabins with inside connecting doors is to look at the Cruise Atlas as the "NEW" deck plans no longer show that detail :(

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Inside connecting balconies? I believe OP wanted to know about connecting doors in balcony cabins. Insides may have connecting doors, but they definitely don't have balconies. ;)

What I meant by inside was that there is a door connecting the rooms inside the rooms, not that they are inside rooms, LOL. The screen shot shows her the rooms she wants to know about. :)

Edited by gr82cu2