LIVE from the Royal Princess - 30 days, Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale - 9/27 - 10/27

Pia1913

Welcome aboard the Royal Princess as we begin our 30 day cruise from Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale. I realize there are still some unanswered questions, and I would appreciate if you’d give me a day or two to become acclimated to this HUGE vessel.

Our eventful/uneventful nonstop flight from Miami (Wednesday nite) was sort of interesting. There were lots of CC passengers; 7 couples in our immediate group. We boarded on time, but the captain announced we would be delayed to due the fact that the engines had to warm up. He said the plane had been at the gate for several hours and they were cold. So why didn’t they start the engines earlier? OK. Engines running. Then, another announcement: we will be delayed further because he was waiting for the Log. Where was the Log coming from; Europe? By this time we were already an hour late when, you guessed it: another announcement. This time there was a problem in the galley. It seems, “ladies and gentlemen, that we have a power outage. No we can’t take you to Europe without food,“ said our Captain. Heck, at this point we would have liked another aircraft. Our 6:20 PM flight finally departed at almost 8:00 and we did make it to Barcelona only one hour later than anticipated. AA used a very old plane with very little overhead storage and the kind of menu that they used to give you free on regular domestic flights. Would you believe they ran out of wine? We didn’t sleep at all, so at the hotel Mike took a nap and I went out to “buy” money at the ATM. Of course I also went to the market to buy wine. Only one Sauv. Blanc available at 4.70 euros, and no Pinot Grigio at all. They had a Spanish white wine for one euro, so risk taker that I am, bought it. I figured I could afford to take a chance on a buck. I forced myself to stay awake and our large CC group had a wine time at 5:30 which lasted for us until past 9:00.

So here we are in our lovely Caribe deck cabin (Caribe on this ship has regular balcony; covered only) and almost totally unpacked. We were aboard at 11:35 and our bags came shortly afterward. And yes, I had a box wine in my checked baggage which arrived just fine and the two bottles in my carryon probably could have been 20. Nobody even glanced at the stuff going thru the machines.

Here’s some information:

SHIP’S OFFICERS

Captain Tony Draper

Staff Captain Tim Stringer

Hotel Manager Martin Bristow

Cruise Director Samantha Hawker-Thomas

Customer Service Jasper Wolthuis

Food & Beverage Ferdinando Vinelli

Executive Chef David McDonald

Maitre d’ Pasquale Marino (Fabio Marcotti is currently the MD, but he is leaving on Sunday)

Capt. Circle Hostess Chrissy Reid

Horizon Court and Bistro is enormous. When you think you’ve seen it all, there’s more. I never looked into the pastry shop, but after having some yummy teriyaki chicken fingers and mashed potatoes, I found there was an Asian area and a Mediterranean area. The place is so big, yet having so many different areas alleviates crowds. Plenty of seating. As we go along I will probably notice some more, but for now I don’t even want to go into the dining room.

The library is a joke. It seems as if it’s an afterthought. The tiniest one I have ever seen. Can’t say much more than that.

Crown Grill opposite library; we made res for six for the night we’re in Mykonos (October 3rd). Already very popular; wanted earlier res but had to take 7:00.

Tried to peek into Princess Live, but they were rehearsing.

Shorex desk, purser’s desk; both overly crowded. What are they giving away?

Just peeked at the IC which was empty. Most likely people think you have to pay extra. They’ll learn.

Never went near the pool decks or the fitness center. Billco, I will inquire about the fitness classes when I get up there (not until Monday because we have early shorex the next two days). Frank, the port side is facing water, lots of ferries and commercial equipment. It’s now almost time for muster, so I will end this, hope it gets posted and continue later.

Pia,

You truly are too much. After all the excitement we all went thru (of course nothing like the people who were actually on board last week) you still manage to take the time to post.

I can't decide whether or not to follow you these 12 days. Do I want to be surprised when we board? Nah, I am sure I will read every post you send. It really is like we all are starting our trip with you.

We are waiting to hear and make sure that all is good. We need to buy a few more advance tickets for Venice (Vaporetto and bathrooms). I don't think those are refundable if there is any problems, G-d forbid (and I am throwing in a couple of spits there too. The MOT's know what I mean).

Are you port or starboard? When you do get to Venice, you won't know where to look. Molino Stucky or over on the other side by Zattere. That is where I am sure a bunch of people will station themselves to watch the sail-in (is that that right saying?). Wear something bright and unique so we can give you a big wave.

Enjoy yourself and Smooth Seas!

Edited by drdaddy

I am so happy that you are on the Royal and that your cruise is underway. Glad you made it there safely and that the repairs were completed as to not effect your sailing.

I felt like that I have been going through withdraw not having a "Live Post" to read leading up to my cruise on Nov 10.

Looking forward to your posts. Enjoy the next 30 days! Have a great time!

Steve :)

Edited by dedosr

Pia, glad to see that you arrived safe and sound in Barcelona. I have NEVER looked forward to a "Live", as I have for this one. I'll be reading and re-reading every single word.

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your busy days to "feed" those of us who will join you in Venice.

Bon Voyage

Stan