Beverage Package Price Increase On Board

pmfm

Always good to read the fine print ;)

* All prices in USD are subject to change without notice.

Sorry, but if celebrity cared at all about their customers they should have given folks the opportunity to buy the package at the old price or given them notice before the cruise of the change so they had the option of buying ahead or busting on board. Fundamentally, they just decided to take advantage of passengers sailing when it was apparently implemented which, yes, was their right, but just terrible customer relations, IMHO.

How difficult would it have been to make an announcement that effective with any cruise starting after xx/xx/xxxx, the prices will change to...... Which would have given folks time to decide what they wanted to do.

Edited by ghstudio

Sorry, but if celebrity cared at all about their customers they should have given folks the opportunity to buy the package at the old price or given them notice before the cruise of the change so they had the option of buying ahead or busting on board. Fundamentally, they just decided to take advantage of passengers sailing when it was apparently implemented which, yes, was their right, but just terrible customer relations, IMHO.

How difficult would it have been to make an announcement that effective with any cruise starting after xx/xx/xxxx, the prices will change to...... Which would have given folks time to decide what they wanted to do.

Can you image if they notified everyone of itinerary changes, price reductions, price changes on offers?!?!

Everything is subject to change....

Cruise contracts are filled with clauses and supported by laws that the average passenger doesn’t know about.

It's up to the cruise line’s discretion to notify you or not. Is that right!?!? No!!! .. but that's what they can get away with....

Can you image if they notified everyone of itinerary changes' date=' price reductions, price changes on offers?!?!

Cruise contracts are filled with clauses and supported by laws that the average passenger doesn’t know about.

It's up to the cruise line’s discretion to notify you or not. Is that right!?!? No!!! .. but that's what they can get away with....[/quote']

I Said its in their power....but it would have been easy to do a relatively simple email or even post a note on their web pages...or where you sign up for packages.....giving some advanced warning and giving passengers a choice.....they did none of those. Did they have to..nope....should they have done some advanced notice...that's your call. BTW, celebrity managed to send a good note to us about using vouchers on our upcoming cruise before the cruise.....if they can do that, they can also send out an email about other changes to expect on a cruise.

Just wait until celebrity decides to actually add the fuel surcharge and just says effective today.....

Edited by ghstudio

Can you image if they notified everyone of itinerary changes' date=' price reductions, price changes on offers?!?!

It's up to the cruise line’s discretion to notify you or not. Is that right!?!? No!!! .. but that's what they can get away with....[/quote']

They didn't have to notify anyone, all the had to do was release the info exactly how they did but make it effective Oct. 15th, 2013 rather than immediately. Problem Solved.

We chose the standard beverage package for an upcoming cruise, with plans to upgrade to the premium package. One of the other couples in our group is doing the same thing, but they were charged for the upgrade in advance. Our upgrade is listed in our reservation, but we weren't charged. I had planned to do it after boarding, as I did on a previous cruise. I have no explanation as to why they were charged in advance and we were not, but the same thing happened when we travelled together previously. So, the process is inconsistent.

I just got off of the phone with Celebrity. Here is what I was told by the agent:

First, you need to talk to someone in the Cruise Enhancement Dept. No one else was able to help. Once I got the correct person, he was immediately aware of the situation. I was told that if I waited to upgrade until after boarding, I would be charged the "onboard price." Although, he did not specify what that amount would be, he said it would be "more" than paying in advance. My interpretation of that was that the difference would be the difference between the pre-cruise standard package and the onboard premium package. That is $241.50 per couple vs. $161.00.

So, thanks to the OP for saving me $80. Based on what I was told by Celebrity (recognizing that they don't always give correct info) I would suggest that anyone planning to upgrade (or buy a package) do it in advance. You won't be able to use an OBC, but unless you have more OBC than you will possibly use on other things, you will be spending more than necessary if you wait.

Edited by cruiserziggy
typo

Who's on first?

I have been following this thread and shaking my head. (LOL. I'm a poet and don't know it). Can there be any more confusion regarding a relatively simple issue?

How difficult can it be for Celebrity to post an explicitly clear statement regarding their new policy and attendant costs for upgrading beverage packages? Reading numerous posts of cruisers here who have gotten differing answers, as well as reading what is purported to be a post by an actual Celebrity employee that seems to contradict stated Celebrity policy reported by posters who actually called Celebrity direct, I have to say the issue is as muddled as it has been since the very first post of this thread. I don't think that customers should be given contradictory answers by Celebrity, nor should they be expected to rely upon a random post by a company employee on an independent cruise forum to ascertain what the new company policy is regarding package upgrades, particularly when a not insignificant financial cost can accrue to the customer for acting on incorrect information. Come on Celebrity! Post a clear statement regarding your beverage package upgrade policies and prices on your website. You probably will find your phones ringing a lot less and most likely will also significantly reduce the number of future complaints from your paying clientele.

We chose the standard beverage package for an upcoming cruise, with plans to upgrade to the premium package. One of the other couples in our group is doing the same thing, but they were charged for the upgrade in advance. Our upgrade is listed in our reservation, but we weren't charged. I had planned to do it after boarding, as I did on a previous cruise. I have no explanation as to why they were charged in advance and we were not, but the same thing happened when we travelled together previously. So, the process is inconsistent.

I just got off of the phone with Celebrity. Here is what I was told by the agent:

First, you need to talk to someone in the Cruise Enhancement Dept. No one else was able to help. Once I got the correct person, he was immediately aware of the situation. I was told that if I waited to upgrade until after boarding, I would be charged the "onboard price." Although, he did not specify what that amount would be, he said it would be "more" than paying in advance. My interpretation of that was that the difference would be the difference between the pre-cruise standard package and the onboard premium package. That is $241.50 per couple vs. $161.00.

So, thanks to the OP for saving me $80. Based on what I was told by Celebrity (recognizing that they don't always give correct info) I would suggest that anyone planning to upgrade (or buy a package) do it in advance. You won't be able to use an OBC, but unless you have more OBC than you will possibly use on other things, you will be spending more than necessary if you wait.

It is sad and becoming increasingly annoying to hear the conflicting information from celebrity. It is clear that the agent in cruise enhancement has never talked with celebrity cruises who claims to be the official voice for celebrity. Cc posted a correction to his original post and is now saying the upgrade price is unchanged which we supposedly first hear from the enhancement department. Now we have the price will be the new on board price from enhancements. Who's on first? Does anyone in Celebrity HQ actually know the policy they put in place? Do the ships understand the policy put in place by HQ? It seems like a free for all

How can a consumer oriented company be this poor at customer communications?

I wonder if Michael bayley really understands or cares about the lack of consistent and accurate information being given by his company.....I guess there is no way for any of us to know, but his record to date, as far as I can see, would not indicate he is aware of this.

Edited by ghstudio

Celebrity issues many press releases that are quickly posted on Cruise Critics. It would not have been at all difficult to issue a press release, post on their web site, and give people a chance to book before sailing. But, they handled the increase in the specialty dining prices in the same way as the increase in the on board beverage package price as I remember.

Mary Lou

Unfortunately no. In order to purchase in advance, both guests must purchase the upgrade.

It is sad and becoming increasingly annoying to hear the conflicting information from celebrity.

Does anyone in Celebrity HQ actually know the policy they put in place? .

Conflicting information to say the least :rolleyes:

I asked my TA about this, he hadn't a clue...:cool:

He called X after I told him about the increase and they said that "upgrades can be done individually in advance"

Conflicting information to say the least :rolleyes:

I asked my TA about this' date=' he hadn't a clue...:cool:

He called X after I told him about the increase and they said that "[b']upgrades can be done individually in advance[/b]"

When I recently upgraded my pick your perk, the Enhancement Lady asked me if I wanted to upgrade both. That would imply you could upgrade one.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

When I recently upgraded my pick your perk, the Enhancement Lady asked me if I wanted to upgrade both. That would imply you could upgrade one.
That's good to know. DF's only want to upgrade one in the cabin.

My DH & I are planning to upgrade before our cruise to avoid the extra fee.

Just curious, do you need to call or can you upgrade online? :confused:

That's good to know. DF's only want to upgrade one in the cabin.

My DH & I are planning to upgrade before our cruise to avoid the extra fee.

Just curious' date=' do you need to call or can you upgrade online? :confused:[/quote']

I did it during the same call as when I picked our perk, but they transferred me to Enhancements

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

• 5 months later...
Go for the Premium, we loved it, cocktails superb and upgraded wines and martinis well worth it :)

We pretty much do beer (regular and N/A), wines in the late afternoon/evenings and one of us some vodka after dinner. We're not 'top shelf' people. We have 4 port days, and the boarding day we won't be on until well after 2 or 3 p.m. I'm just not able to wrap my head around the math for the regular package let alone the premium. We don't do foo foo drinks or $tar$buck type coffees. Oh, and I like a mineral water in the morning.....nothing elaborate.

I'm going with the assumption that most of the regular beers are $6 (plus Grat.) and Carlo Rossi type wines $7? and maybe Smirnoff $8?

I can't find a current price list anywhere though, so if anyone has any insight to my thought pattern please let me know.

Years ago we would have taken the 'challenge' of defeating the package price :p but, not so much anymore :cool:

Edited by AcaCandy

We also booked with the Promotional Beverage Package and wondered about current drinks prices so if recent travellers could post a price list it would be much appreciated.

Would be helpful when deciding a

whether or not to upgrade to Premium

Thanks in advance

In particular, can a package be added mid-way thru a cruise? Or does one have to pay for every day?

Yes, the package can be purchased with as few as 4 days left in your cruise and you will only be charged for those four days, but it must be for the 4 last days of the cruise, not the first four or the middle four. If your cruise is 7 days long, you also have the option for the last 5 or 6 as well.

We also booked with the Promotional Beverage Package and wondered about current drinks prices so if recent travellers could post a price list it would be much appreciated.

Would be helpful when deciding a

whether or not to upgrade to Premium

Thanks in advance

The people that like to upgrade to the premium do so because they like to drink either better wines or better beers, high end larger sized martinis or the concoctions at the Molecular Bar. None of the special martinis at the Martini Bar or the concoctions at the Molecular bar qualify under the classic package. Also, with the classic your beers are cut off at 6.00 and wines and mixed drinks are cut off at 8.00. With the Premium, all 3 types are maxed at 13.00. If there is a wine or beer above the 13.00, you only pay the difference, plus 15% tip, whereas if you only have the classic, then any beer over 6.00, and any wine or mixed over 8.00 will be charged the entire amount.

I would wait until you get on board and then see if the upgrade is worth it to you or not. Many are happy with the classic and many others enjoy the specialty bars and higher drink levels that the premium provides for only 11.50 per day.

Also, with the classic your beers are cut off at 6.00 and wines and mixed drinks are cut off at 8.00.

Which is another reason to ask if their is a list of prices for the beers, wines and mixed drinks :)

Thanks, great price list.....:)

I don't get this though:

At the Martini Bar, social hour, prices $5.50 -- small print only for those with premium beverage package :confused::confused:

With the premium beverage package, wouldn't those be included? :cool:

I don't get this though:

At the Martini Bar, social hour, prices $5.50 -- small print only for those with premium beverage package :confused::confused:

With the premium beverage package, wouldn't those be included? :cool:

I'm still wondering about this though :confused: