Have a story on arriving at the port late and missing or almost missing the ship?

Ocean Air

It amazes me how many people arrive at the dock late running because they thought when the captain said arrive at the dock at 4:30 it applied to everyone but them.

Has this ever happened to you? Only on one cruise have I heard that a couple missed the ship. Do you know how people get home if all their identification is on the ship that sailed away?

It amazes me how many people arrive at the dock late running because they thought when the captain said arrive at the dock at 4:30 it applied to everyone but them.

Has this ever happened to you? Only on one cruise have I heard that a couple missed the ship. Do you know how people get home if all their identification is on the ship that sailed away?

I believe most cruise lines will go to missing passengers safes and get passports etc to be left with the ports representative. That way when they get to port to find no ship they can attempt to catch the ship at the next port.

Ps. I love the twain quote in your sig.

A long time ago, some folks missed our ship (Cunard Princess). Just so happened there was another ship leaving after ours, going to the same next port as us, and they were able to take that ship to the next port and caught up with us.

WOW

I wonder if that will ever happen again, with security the way it is now.

Doubt it...........unless it is a cruise ships fault with an excursion....but still doubt it.

Sea Ya

A few minutes before departure time, find a comfortable place to relax and listen to the names being called over the intercom. The staff is trying to determine if these people somehow got on board without being logged in. THOSE are the people unaccounted for and at risk of missing the ship. At almost every port you can hear these calls being made.

I've watched a few shows about cruise ships on Travel and Nat Geo channels. One featured the Oasis of the Seas. At every departure time they had people who were unaccounted for. In most cases they either just made it, or the ship actually waited a few minutes. In one case, they waited twenty minutes until the people finally arrived. The schedule to the next port was tight, and to make up for the lost time the ship had to sail faster than planned. That created an increase in the fuel consumption, which amounted to several thousand dollars extra fuel costs.

I suspect that they waited because they were being filmed and didn't want to look like they abandoned their passengers. Otherwise, they may have left the people behind. I think they cruise line should bill the late comers for any costs associated with their lateness.

Edited by boogs

We recently returned from a cruise in the Med. A couple missed the ship at one of the ports, cannot remember which, they were very lucky however as they got a lift with the pilot boat. As the pilot boat came alongside to pick the pilot up they transferred from the boat to the ship. So, they even had a trip in the speedboat and did not need to find their way to the next port.

We were on a Carnival ship in St Martin and saw the Oasis leave a young couple after waiting 45 min. Seems they had used their cell phone as a clock and because St Martin does not recognize Day Light Savings time the ship's time was an hour ahead.

Lesson for you newbies!!!!!! Do NOT use your cell phone as your clock or you may be left behind.

Edited by GTO-Girl

I believe most cruise lines will go to missing passengers safes and get passports etc to be left with the ports representative. That way when they get to port to find no ship they can attempt to catch the ship at the next port.

Of course, a substantial number of people on Caribbean cruises (the ones with the heavy drinkers who are more likely to lose tract of time) do not travel with passports - so even if the ship can get birth certificates, photo ID, or whatever from safes, it won't help them get on a flight to the next port.

When we sailed the Mexican Riviera, a couple were left in Mazatlan. They caught up to the ship later that evening. I didn't see them board (we were at dinner) but the ship slowed down while they boarded from a small boat, then back up to speed. I wondered what it cost them to hire the boat to catch the ship.

Thanks PAPCX.

I couldn't imagine what it would cost to hire someone to catch the ship at the next port..... Thinking I will keep booking my excursions through the ship.

This ALMOST happened to us in Stockholm. We were in port overnight (after spending 3 days in that wonderful city), so on day 2 of the overnight we decided to take a scenic canal boat ride. One of the stops was "Cruise Terminal" so we got off there and walked the 1 mile to the pier - completely empty (it was the cruise terminal for the ferry to Helsinki!!!). Literally, nobody was around and we had an hour to get back to the ship!!! Finally we found someone who called us a cab, but traffic was a nightmare because there was a huge road race going on. We got to the ship with about 10 mins to spare! And then when we arrived, we didn't have enough currency to pay the cab driver, and the credit card machine wouldn't work. He said he'd take Euros.... which were in the cabin safe. As we discussed this, TWO tour busses emptied and I got in back of the line, RAN to my stateroom (at the front of the ship) then back down to pay him. As we got back on the ship, the gangway was raised.

Talk about a close call! Don't do this. LOL We actually began making plans at the Helsinki terminal to catch the ferry since that was our next port of call. Ugh.

YES! Took independent cave tubing in Belize. HAL ship time 1 hr later than RCCL, our guide forgot his swim trunks, had to go to his house, we were in a minor fender bender and we still ate lunch after tubing. Very late and almost missed our ship

Bad experience but could have been worse!

We are otherwise never late for anything and love to watch people running at the port laden with bags and the ship is ready to leave

I suspect that they waited because they were being filmed and didn't want to look like they abandoned their passengers. Otherwise, they may have left the people behind. I think they cruise line should bill the late comers for any costs associated with their lateness.

I would quicker think Oasis waited because the guests were on a ship-sponsored tour. The cruiselines promise to wait for guests returning late from ship-sponsored tours, because unfortunate things do sometimes happen. They will not wait, however, for privately booked tours.

I have never heard of ships charging passengers for extra costs due to being late back to the ship. However, if a passenger actually misses a ship, the costs associated with that is the passenger's cost. Those costs can be substantial, not to mention the stress associated with missing a ship.

I would quicker think Oasis waited because the guests were on a ship-sponsored tour. The cruiselines promise to wait for guests returning late from ship-sponsored tours, because unfortunate things do sometimes happen. They will not wait, however, for privately booked tours.

I have never heard of ships charging passengers for extra costs due to being late back to the ship. However, if a passenger actually misses a ship, the costs associated with that is the passenger's cost. Those costs can be substantial, not to mention the stress associated with missing a ship.

They don't always way for late ship excursions. They will wait if they can. Sometimes, the port will not allow them to wait. The ship excursions promise to wait OR pay to get you to the next port.

On the television show the late passengers were not on a ship sponsored tour, but were on their own. The captain had no obligation to wait for them.

No, I doubt that any of the cruise lines would take such a hard line as to charge a passenger for additional operational costs associated with their tardiness. Instead, the bottom line is affected, and to maintain a reasonable profit profile, the cruise rates are adjusted slightly higher, or costs are trimmed elsewhere, to compensate for the additional expenses incurred by burning more fuel to maintain a higher speed to arrive on time at the next port. This is a standard financial process taken by any company that wants to survive.

Edited by boogs

I believe most cruise lines will go to missing passengers safes and get passports etc to be left with the ports representative....

I recently asked both Royal Caribbean and Carnival about their procedures if I missed the ship.

Per Royal Caribbean, ".... While some cruisers may have had the experience of our ships crew being able to give the port security their travel documents due to missing the ship; regrettably, this is not always the case. Typically we do not have the time to do this. We are sorry for any disappointment this response may cause you. Royal Caribbean International highly recommends bringing a photo copy of all of your travel documents, such as your passport, with you into the ports of calls in case of emergency. In addition, if you feel you might not make it back to the ship on time, or you have missed the ship, you can contact our Emergency Travel Team twenty-four hours a day for assistance. Their contact number will be located on the back of your Seapass card. ... "

Per Carnival, "... If you miss the ship, we will try our best to obtain your passports, but sometimes that's not possible. We will, however, notify the port agent so that he/she can assist you either rejoining the ship or going home. ..."

Either way - it's a pricey and/or frustrating position to be in. We learned our lesson this time, but actually had one other incident. We got stuck in Jamaica on a Carnival ship-sponsored tour some years back as the bus broke in the middle of nowhere. Ended up getting into police cars and sped to the ship about 45 mins late. As we were running (about 14 of us) up to the ship people were actually yelling rather nasty stuff down at us from their balconies. Was not a fun event, but in this instance the ship arranged the police car ride and held the ship since it was their excursion. It was very stressful. But, these things happen I guess.

ALWAYS - and I mean ALWAYS have a copy of your passport, a credit card, and a calling card or cell phone with a sim card that will work in the country you are in when leaving the ship. We have been sailing Oceania quite a bit lately and they provide a local agent phone number for each port in the daily program - can't remember if other lines do that - but either way, if they do - write it down and take it. We didn't in Stockholm (where we almost took the ferry to Helsinki) and regretted it immensely.

I recently asked both Royal Caribbean and Carnival about their procedures if I missed the ship.

Per Royal Caribbean, ".... While some cruisers may have had the experience of our ships crew being able to give the port security their travel documents due to missing the ship; regrettably, this is not always the case. Typically we do not have the time to do this. We are sorry for any disappointment this response may cause you. Royal Caribbean International highly recommends bringing a photo copy of all of your travel documents, such as your passport, with you into the ports of calls in case of emergency. In addition, if you feel you might not make it back to the ship on time, or you have missed the ship, you can contact our Emergency Travel Team twenty-four hours a day for assistance. Their contact number will be located on the back of your Seapass card. ... "

Per Carnival, "... If you miss the ship, we will try our best to obtain your passports, but sometimes that's not possible. We will, however, notify the port agent so that he/she can assist you either rejoining the ship or going home. ..."

You made the same comment on the PASSPORT COPY thread, and I'll make my same reply here:

This is typical legalese insisted upon by the company lawyers to cover the cruise line in case they don't perform that courtesy. During a Q&A session with Captain Nicholas Pagonis on Celebrity Constellation a couple of years ago, someone asked what would happen if they missed the ship. The captain explained that retrieving passports was ALWAYS attempted. He said that in about 70% of the instances the passports were found in the safe and turned over to the port representative. He also mentioned that they do not go through drawers, suitcases, or personal belongings if a passport is not in the safe.

You made the same comment on the PASSPORT COPY thread, and I'll make my same reply here:

Yes.

There are a few posters who continue to unintentionally mislead others by stating that, in the event that you miss the ship, the cruise lines will retrieve passports from the cabin safes and leave them with the port agent. They do not state that cruise lines will attempt to do so, but that they may not be successful.

Even you, in your followup post, stated that one captain said they were successful only 70% of the time.

I don't know what your issue is, since the two largest cruise line, the Captain on another cruise line (per you), and I are all saying the same thing.