Explore4 and Price for Cruise

Funsun60

Hoping for some clarification. We have booked a cruise for next October that is eligible for the Explore4 promotion. After following some comments on this board, I have written to HAL asking for clarification, i.e. are the Explore4 cruises priced higher than the same cruise without this option, and if the price is reduced prior to final payment, can we ask to have the reduction passed on to us. So far, I have not received a response.

However, on another booking site I found our cruise offerred where you could either opt in or opt out for the Explore4. If you opted out, the cost of the cruise was $1600 less. I don't think this option to opt in/out was offerred on the HAL booking site, unless I missed somthing.

Hopefully, HAL will respond to our inquiry to explain this in a satisfactory manner, otherwise it seems like a potentially false advertising promotion to say you are getting a "bonus", if in fact you are paying for this "bonus" by an increased fare.

We are new to this whole area of cruising (only have cruised twice before), but I find this promotion a little off (unless I am misunderstanding something). I don't think we would drink $1600 worth of beverages, especially as this cruise has many port visits, so I would prefer the upfront option to have a reduced fare rather than Explore4, if in fact this is possible.

Any thoughts?

If your fare drops prior to final payment, you will, in most cases, get that reduction honored.

I am not aware of any indication the Explore4 was free. Were you expecting it to be free?

My question: can one then opt in/out of the Explore4 on the HAL website? I don't expect something for nothing, but should one not then get the option about what one is buying. On this cruise, the Explore4 was automatically included (as far as I can tell..advertised as offerred only on select cruises), which I guess I viewed in rather an naiive fashion as a promotion, rather than an additonal cost as this was not clearly indicated. The Explore4 information states "FREE...." on the promotional page. If you can direct me to the small print where it is explained that higher fares apply, I would be most appreciative. By the way, we did not choose this cruise on the basis of the Explore4. We would have booked anyway.

Unless I understand, you can have that option on the web site where you found the option offered. Did I misunderstand?

If you do not get an e-mail response from HAL, how about calling HAL, attempt to book on the phone and refuse the Explore4 option. See what happens. You can always 'stop' the booking at some point along the way but will get an answer whether they will or will not accept your reservation without forcing you to take Explore4.

We received the explore 4 free on our cruise to Alaska. It is the same cost with or without. If it is offered as a free incentive it will be. We are going during the most expensive time of the year. That may be why.

Were you able to compare the cost for and without Explore4 anywhere but with HAL?

Many here have commented it is costing a lot to get that program.

Isn't the only way to know for sure is to find a site that offers a price including it and compare to price if not having the program?

IF HAL only prices the cruise including the program, you don't know what you may be paying for it.

Do I have that totally wrong? Sorry if I do. :o

Unless I understand, you can have that option on the web site where you found the option offered. Did I misunderstand?

No misunderstanding. That is why I was questioning why HAL does not allow this option on their website. I still have not heard back from HAL..will give it some more time and then I will call. I am not complaining about the Explore4. I am questioning if HAL is being totally transparent with the offer, and why another website gives 2 prices for this cruise depending on whether you elect to include the Explore4. We are not overly big drinkers..on our last HAL cruise for 18 days our bar bill was around $800-$900 (not including the liquor that we had preordered for my husband for the room). If in fact there are 2 prices for the same cabin type and same cruise, based on whether you have the Explore4, HAL will be making money from us for sure.

No misunderstanding. That is why I was questioning why HAL does not allow this option on their website. I still have not heard back from HAL..will give it some more time and then I will call. I am not complaining about the Explore4. I am questioning if HAL is being totally transparent with the offer, and why another website gives 2 prices for this cruise depending on whether you elect to include the Explore4. We are not overly big drinkers..on our last HAL cruise for 18 days our bar bill was around $800-$900 (not including the liquor that we had preordered for my husband for the room). If in fact there are 2 prices for the same cabin type and same cruise, based on whether you have the Explore4, HAL will be making money from us for sure.

I know our September cruise went up shortly after Explore4 was added - so it would make sense that there should be two prices. Not everyone wants it and it won't be a lure to everyone. You make a valid point.

I called HAL when the Explore 4 was first announced about whether or not I got it on my August 2014 Alaskan cruise that I had booked in March. I was told that since the price was now higher, I could keep my current reservation without Explore 4 or pay another $800+ to include the package. She then added, "Keep watching the price, they'll probably go back to the old price after mid-October when the promotion ends." Since the Explore 4 wasn't worth $800 to me, I passed. Since then, I have booked another cruise through my PCC that automatically gave me Explore 4. I am planning on rebooking when the price goes down and giving up the Explore 4 package.

I called HAL when the Explore 4 was first announced about whether or not I got it on my August 2014 Alaskan cruise that I had booked in March. I was told that since the price was now higher, I could keep my current reservation without Explore 4 or pay another $800+ to include the package. She then added, "Keep watching the price, they'll probably go back to the old price after mid-October when the promotion ends." Since the Explore 4 wasn't worth $800 to me, I passed. Since then, I have booked another cruise through my PCC that automatically gave me Explore 4. I am planning on rebooking when the price goes down and giving up the Explore 4 package.

That sounds like a good plan. I will still follow up with HAL just to see what they have to say, and then depending on their response, will watch for price decreases and then rebook with no Explore4.

Thanks everyone for your comments and I will report back after I hear from HAL. I guess this is all just part of the "fun" of planning a cruise.

We booked our TA cruise with an internet agency about a month prior to the Explore4 promotion. When it was announced, I checked with our agency and found it had already been added, with no additional cost. The only thing that changed was instead of 2 Pinnacle dinners, we receive only one. That was a perk offered by our agency but dropped when Explore4 gave us one. The cost of our cabin category now is the same as it was when we booked.

We booked our cruise with a TA about 2 months before explore4. We paid 15% less than the fare showing on HAL site and got $100 OBC from our TA.

We then got the explore4 package added for no charge or change when it came out. Experiences will vary I suppose.

I've been doing dummy bookings with an online TA and it shows the different promotions and sales offered for the same cruise. I noticed when the Explore 4 is offered, the cruise price is consistently much higher. On this TA site, you can book the same cabin category on the same cruise for much less if you don't book the Explore 4.

I did a screen shot so you can see what I see when I do the dummy booking on the online TA site and see the different rates. I just select which rate I want and then select my cabin. Clearly, the price is much much higher for the Explore 4 than without.

explore4copy_zps08f028ac.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

HAL confirmed that if the price dropped on our reservation, we would need to give up Explore4 to request reduced price. We cannot request to have Explore4 removed now from our booking. So far the Explore4 is still attached to our cruise on the Prinsendam. Hopefully, it will drop off as a "free" offering over the next several weeks and then hopefully, cabin price will also be reduced. We will wait and see.

HAL confirmed that if the price dropped on our reservation, we would need to give up Explore4 to request reduced price. We cannot request to have Explore4 removed now from our booking. So far the Explore4 is still attached to our cruise on the Prinsendam. Hopefully, it will drop off as a "free" offering over the next several weeks and then hopefully, cabin price will also be reduced. We will wait and see.

Hmmm. Looking from a different perspective. Since my earlier post, we have booked a 15 day Statendam cruise in Nov 2014. We were not allowed to get a lower price if we didn't want Explore4. But, and it is an important but, IMHO, the cost of the same cabin this year to next, is only $400 more than the last minute bookings for this year's cruise. So a 15 day cruise, with $100 per day beverage deal, 2 dinners in Pinnacle, etc, we are getting, essentially for $400. Doesn't sound like a bad deal.

And, we booked this 13 months out. The SB and SA category are GTY only, which seems to indicate they are selling out. So, a), don't expect a price decrease, and b) there doesn't seem to be an issue of forcibly including the Explore4 package.

Our February cruise had a price drop that was worth more than the Explore4 package this week, so our cruise consultant removed the Explore4 package and gave us the price drop. We had no trouble getting this done.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wise choice Candiaccruiser, as the package is only worth $75 per person on Caribbean cruises.

Price drop = Priceless :cool:

Lots of different experiences. We booked on board with the FCC in April for a cruise next October - a guarantee, and we got some OBC, as well. When explore4 started, we asked our TA to check for two cruises we had booked, one did not qualify, but the October one for next year received it with no price change. We did lose $50 in OBC - but the cruise is for 42 days, so it seemed a no brainer to take the promo and lose the OBC!

I don't know if it's because we paid too much, :eek: or if it's because we went through a great PCC, but this week we got a reduction in price for next year's cruise and kept our Explore4.

I don't understand why some are having so much trouble with it. I fully expected to be told we would have to choose between the price reduction ($200/pp) or the Explore4, but we didn't.

Like I said, maybe it has something to do with how much we paid, and we're still paying a lot more for our cruise than some others are. :confused:

We were in the midst of booking a seven day Alaskan cruise yesterday, when the price dropped - it was the Great Canadian Sale. Some of the categories dropped in price, but would no longer include Explore 4, while others stayed the same & still included the Explore 4. The most bizarre was the inside category that actually went up in price, but the Explore 4 dropped off.

After much thought & calculation based on the first seven days of our last year's 22 day cruise, (I actually added up the drink charges) we determined that the Explore 4 was not a good deal for us & we went with a category that had a lower price and no Explore 4 package.

During our first 7 days we spent $283.85 on drinks/specialty coffees under $7.00 between the two of us. The price of the cruise dropped by $273.00 each person which is $546.00 between the two of us. If our habits remain the same (no reason they shouldn't) we will have saved $263.00 by taking the lower price.

But yes, there is a definite cost for this & it is not beneficial to everyone to be sure, I think it's something that each individual will have a different 'answer' to - and as well, will depend on the length of the cruise too.

finding it curious that people that do not work for the cruise lines or travel agencies believe they know exactly what is going on with the explore4 -- really -- I think not -- there is way to much variance based on the conversations -- :p

Archived