Hawaiian Cruise- Air Temps?

Highlander1

Thinking of a Hawaiian cruise but am concerned about air temps on sea days giong to and from California. Looking at March -April timeframe and would we be better off out of San Diego or LA as compared to San Francisco.

I'd rather spend a couple extra days in San Fran than LA, but if the weather crossing the pacific is colder, we will go out of LA/SD. Thanks for any experience or thoughts.

We have gone out of LA three times, always in April. Each time is different. You can count on the first few days as being on the chilly side. On the chillier mornings we spend time in the solarium, then head out once it warms up. It can also be windy. Of course once you are closer to the Islands it warms up. But regardless of the weather, we have always enjoyed this trip. In April 14 we are trying the trip out of S.F.

Thinking of a Hawaiian cruise but am concerned about air temps on sea days giong to and from California. Looking at March -April timeframe and would we be better off out of San Diego or LA as compared to San Francisco.

I'd rather spend a couple extra days in San Fran than LA, but if the weather crossing the pacific is colder, we will go out of LA/SD. Thanks for any experience or thoughts.

It's cooler for the first few days until you cross over the Tropic of Cancer at approx. 23 1/2 degrees N and sail into the tropics. Ditto on the return. Not to worry it's not cold. The 3 times we crossed we had some choppy seas north of the tropics.

Never boarded in San Diego, but since SD is only a few degrees south of LA don't believe there would be much difference. Princess does not sail from San Diego, that would be another line.

Never boarded in San Diego, but since SD is only a few degrees south of LA don't believe there would be much difference. Princess does not sail from San Diego, that would be another line.
There is a difference between LA and SD weather. Heck, I'm right in-between and our weather is more like SD than LA. The local TV stations give you five different weather forecasts during each segment. I can go 10 miles inland and the weather is very different. But that's neither here nor there. What makes sailing out of CA relatively cold and possibly rough the first day of so is the California Current, a very strong, very cold water current that flows from the Gulf of Alaska to Baja California. To sail to and from HI, you have sail across it.

Sailing from SF is spectacular, far more than LA or SD. It's also a more interesting city as well. But it's also cooler and rainier.

gingi13. Are you sure about the date you set sail? I am sailing out of LA on October 6th to Hawaii. We only return on October 21st. Sorry, just thought I'd ask in case you have flights booked. Have a wonderful Cruise!

There is a difference between LA and SD weather. Heck, I'm right in-between and our weather is more like SD than LA. The local TV stations give you five different weather forecasts during each segment. I can go 10 miles inland and the weather is very different. But that's neither here nor there. What makes sailing out of CA relatively cold and possibly rough the first day of so is the California Current, a very strong, very cold water current that flows from the Gulf of Alaska to Baja California. To sail to and from HI, you have sail across it.

Sailing from SF is spectacular, far more than LA or SD. It's also a more interesting city as well. But it's also cooler and rainier.

I agree with Pam. We have taken 3 Hawaii cruises--2 from SD and 1 from LA/San Pedro, all in April.

We go in April because the humidity in HA is lower, for me. The sailing over isn't too bad once you are past the first day both ways. However, the at sea weather was different on all three sailings.

Pat

I did this cruise once. Round trip out of LA in December.

I will never do it again. We had the roughest seas I have ever seen. It was so rough that sea water would splash up on our balcony, and we were on the Aloha Deck.

It turned out that the first two days out of LA were chilly, but at least we were able to use the balcony, the rest of the way we didn't dare go out there. We had the same weather on the way back.

Once in the Hawaiian Islands we were able to enjoy nice weather on our balcony, but crossing the Pacific was like being on a roller coaster. We were told that the middle of an ocean is much more susceptible to conditions like this, whereas cruising along a coast much less so.

Maybe we were unlucky, but we have been afraid to book any cruise since that crosses an ocean.

Hi All,

We are leaving on the Star Princess on October 20th and are getting ready to pack. Any idea on temps for the 4 sea days over and the 5 sea days back? Thanks

Pack a sweater, good both in the air conditioner and outside. Also needed if you plan to go to Haleakala Crater in Maui.

We sailed out of SF last November. The weather in SF was cool but not bad. The weather on the ship was cool the first couple of days and then it was wonderful. On the way back we had a couple of colder days (pretty much nobody wanted to brave MUTS at night due to the cold wind one night) but it really wasn't bad at all. No rough seas for us and not rain or high winds.

The only real bummer was disembarking in SF and remembering that it was winter! We disembarked 2 days before Thanksgiving. The difference between Maui weather and SF weather was pretty big.

Last April my DH and I took the 14 day cruise from LA roundtrip to Hawaii. We are from Arizona so the weather seemed rather cool to me until we got to the islands. If we do it again, I think I would like to try to go in October and see if its any different. It was a fantastic cruise other than a bit in the low 70's I'd guess.

Last April my DH and I took the 14 day cruise from LA roundtrip to Hawaii. We are from Arizona so the weather seemed rather cool to me until we got to the islands. If we do it again, I think I would like to try to go in October and see if its any different. It was a fantastic cruise other than a bit in the low 70's I'd guess.

Guess what, it's always just about the same... If you are looking for a Caribbean type cruise... Not on this one... If you can handle a couple of chilly and possibly rough days, them you will havea great cruise. October can be just as unlredictable in October as it is in April...

Archived