First time to GC

Rich&Cathy

'must do' or 'best' I ignore ... but popular stuff in Grand Cayman

one of the best beaches in the world - Seven Mile Beach

World class SCUBA and snorkeling by boat or from the shore

Sting Ray city

Turtle Farm

SHOP - this is the land of NICE jewelry shops and you MIGHT find a deal IF you KNOW your prices. (There is a Pandora shop and in March I found the prices to be dollar for dollar the same as my local jeweler ... I saved tax) Do not expect to find knock off jewelry or cheap silver. You MIGHT find a deal on a real Rolex or Movado

I'm thinking you have not read much here and I'll let that go for a first time visit (1 post) ... put there is a TON of information here if you read back

WARNING ** WARNING ** WARNING

Once you get on Grand Cayman EVERYTHING is VERY expensive. This country has a very high standard of living and a very strong economy. Their dollar is 'fixed' to the US dollar but not "equal". On the street you will see the US dollar worth 80 cents CI.

Your $20 US is $16 CI

Most places, especially, bars and restaurants, will show prices CI. AND they will add gratuity automatically too.

Soooooo - when you look at a menu at M'ville expect to pay 35% more that what you see: 20% for currency conversion and 15% tip . . .

here's a sample menu (snack) for my fav' place on GC ... My Bar at Sunset House:

http://sunsethouse.com/images/Menus/Restaurant%20Snack%20Menu%20Nov%20%2010%208_5X11%202011.pdf

Example

Chicken wings - $10CI

can of Bud - $4CI

Pina Colada - $7CI

++++

but reviewing my bill from a cruise on RCL last week that's no worse than the ship prices is it?

The days of cheap drinks on a cruise or in the islands are LONG LONG gone!

++++++++++

I walk to Sunset House

Shore dive then have lunch

100_0119_zpsd727fca8.jpg

100_0129_zps1e515da8.jpg

I have been searching through ideas for Grand Cayman. I love the water and would prefer a beach day, but I sometimes feel that if we do a beach day we will miss island history and sites. I do not snorkel, but my husband does. We have had friends say the scuba diving is beautiful, but we have not ventured into it. We both are open to anything, sting rays an option, turtle farm an option, or just some beach time. We look through shops but we are not much of the travel to shop kind of people. A perfect day for me would, be hit the beach for a few hours, maybe do turtles or sting ray and then have a nice lunch..... Does this help any?

We will be in GC on the Carnival Legend this month. Is there anything that is a "must do" or something that is highly recommended?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Probably the most well know and most popular thing to do in Grand Cayman is Stingray City. Not a bad thing to do for your first time in GC! :)

LuLu

~~~~

since you don't snorkel or dive

I recommend sting ray city followed by lunch at Paradise or Guy Harvey's

(google can get you menu)

then walk a bit ... all the stores are within a couple of blocks of the tender landings.

PLEASE don't go to M'ville or Hard Rock ... what a waste if in Cayman . . .

If I had to pick one thing, it would be the stingrays. These are not your ordinary rays you pet at the local aquarium. You go about 5 miles out into the ocean to a large sandbar area. You get in the water and its about waist high. Very clear water. Then the rays show up - they are huge!! The guides will get one, and let you hold it for pictures. These are wild animals so you have to behave in the water - no splashing around acting crazy. You have to watch where you step so as not to step on one. It was one of the best things we did on our entire cruise.

I give another vote to Stingray City, it was awesome when we were there. On our cruise next month we are going to take a tour of the island, do a little swimming and shopping. Should be a fun day.

Swimming with the rays does not interest me, but it seems the most highly recommended thing to do.

This will be our 2nd trip and I was wondering if any of you had done a tour. I prefer seeing the side of the islands that one would not see straight off the cruise ship.

We snorkeled @ the port several years ago, rather rough for me, but we enjoy living history, etc.

Any recommendations or tours would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Sailing

I know its more expensive but we stuck to the ship owned excursion. Good thing...when our little boat was heading back in we were going extremely slow. They said the guy at the dock told him to slow down because another boat was having trouble and we couldn't dock yet. Once we got back to the port we didn't have a lot of time to spare. I would've hated to be on a private excursion and the same thing happen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

I recommend the stingray sandbar too. It seems to be the "in" thing to do while in Grand Cayman. It's definitely a "different" experience than you would get in any other port swimming with the stingrays. They are not in a closed in pen and are located out in the ocean in their own habitat. The place is amazing and so is the experience. They are not your typical smaller stingrays you normally see like in the zoo. These things are HUGE. :)

IMG_7704-M.jpg

IMG_1289-M.jpg

IMG_1322-M.jpg

IMG_7715-M.jpg

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

If you arrive by ship, you will likely anchor offshore and tender in to this port. We walked around the pier shops awaiting our privately arranged Sting Ray City / Coral Gardens tour with Native Way at noon. There were 13 folks on our tour. We boarded a small van which took us to a boat awaiting us at the Yacht Club. Our boat could comfortably hold 50 people. It took about 20 minutes to motor out to the Coral Gardens reef where we donned mask, snorkel, fins and optional snorkel vests (which made my wife very happy). The snorkel vests provide buoyancy and can be inflated to a level that is comfortable for you. There were no lack of pretty fish here. We then motored 5 minutes out to Sting Ray City, a sandbar in the ocean where the water is only 4-feet deep. Even though the place was crowded, we had a great time. Stingrays with 2-to-4 foot wingspans were in abundance and very tame. Boat captains were catching them and passing them around for everyone to view and hold. Plenty of squid was available for feeding. We were happy to have been on a private tour ($35 each, plus tip). Some double-decker boats were absolutely jam-packed with passengers. Squeals pierced the air every time a stingray glided a wing against someone's leg. We spent about 1.5 hours between the two locations. Plenty of time. It was a very memorable and fun experience. Highly recommended! Bottom line: Grand Cayman is gorgeous! Stingray City will be the highlight of your visit.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

Detailed info on excursions we've taken in over 20 Caribbean ports.

I prefer seeing the side of the islands that one would not see straight off the cruise ship.

Our first time in Grand Cayman we did a self-driven island tour around the east end and up to Rum Point. One of my favourite port days. Navigating the island is easy, if you can get used to driving on the left. Cayman Auto is walking distance from port.

We did a snorkel tour through Tours Cayman and I noticed they offered island Tours. Not sure where they your exactly. I like the east/north side better than the Seven Mile/Turtle Farm/Hell tours.

I know its more expensive but we stuck to the ship owned excursion. Good thing...when our little boat was heading back in we were going extremely slow. They said the guy at the dock told him to slow down because another boat was having trouble and we couldn't dock yet. Once we got back to the port we didn't have a lot of time to spare. I would've hated to be on a private excursion and the same thing happen.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Forums mobile app

How crowded was the ship ex ? And how long did it last ?

Georgetown, Grand Cayman

If you arrive by ship, you will likely anchor offshore and tender in to this port. We walked around the pier shops awaiting our privately arranged Sting Ray City / Coral Gardens tour with Native Way at noon. There were 13 folks on our tour. We boarded a small van which took us to a boat awaiting us at the Yacht Club. Our boat could comfortably hold 50 people. It took about 20 minutes to motor out to the Coral Gardens reef where we donned mask, snorkel, fins and optional snorkel vests (which made my wife very happy). The snorkel vests provide buoyancy and can be inflated to a level that is comfortable for you. There were no lack of pretty fish here. We then motored 5 minutes out to Sting Ray City, a sandbar in the ocean where the water is only 4-feet deep. Even though the place was crowded, we had a great time. Stingrays with 2-to-4 foot wingspans were in abundance and very tame. Boat captains were catching them and passing them around for everyone to view and hold. Plenty of squid was available for feeding. We were happy to have been on a private tour ($35 each, plus tip). Some double-decker boats were absolutely jam-packed with passengers. Squeals pierced the air every time a stingray glided a wing against someone's leg. We spent about 1.5 hours between the two locations. Plenty of time. It was a very memorable and fun experience. Highly recommended! Bottom line: Grand Cayman is gorgeous! Stingray City will be the highlight of your visit.

More "Secrets of the Caribbean": http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

Detailed info on excursions we've taken in over 20 Caribbean ports.

Only problem I'm imagining with native way is the timing leaving at noon. A little late , we dock at 10. In also thinking if we book a ship shorex then that will help us to exit the ship quickly esp w 5 ships docked that day. I also don't snorkel so maybe I'll stay onboard.

Only problem I'm imagining with native way is the timing leaving at noon. A little late , we dock at 10. In also thinking if we book a ship shorex then that will help us to exit the ship quickly esp w 5 ships docked that day. I also don't snorkel so maybe I'll stay onboard.

I'm booked with Native Way for December, and we have been instructed to meet them at 10:00 am ship time for our excursion?

• 2 weeks later...
I recommend the stingray sandbar too. It seems to be the "in" thing to do while in Grand Cayman. It's definitely a "different" experience than you would get in any other port swimming with the stingrays. They are not in a closed in pen and are located out in the ocean in their own habitat. The place is amazing and so is the experience. They are not your typical smaller stingrays you normally see like in the zoo. These things are HUGE. :)

IMG_7704-M.jpg

IMG_1289-M.jpg

IMG_1322-M.jpg

IMG_7715-M.jpg

What camera do you use? The pics are amazing! I would run out tomorrow literally to buy it for my cruise next week.

What camera do you use? The pics are amazing! I would run out tomorrow literally to buy it for my cruise next week.

It's an Olympus Tough camera. Mine is the 620 model, but they have more updated ones available as well. I love my camera. It does all kinds of neat things like pano shots and even has a tilt shift feature...which I love.

Pano:

PC170053-L.jpg

Tilt shift:

P5140531-L.jpg

P5150540-L.jpg

Archived