Dress Code Question

Huxley'sCruisers

We have only (in recent years) cruised on NCL, so the dress code is new for us. We are going on a 13-night Adriatic cruise at the end of the month, and I'm trying to plan. Here is the dress code per Celebrity's website:

"Smart Casual & Above" attire includes:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire includes:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

My questions are: If gentlemen's shirts "must have sleeves" does that mean they cannot wear short-sleeved polo shirts in the evening to dinner? They must be in a "dress shirt" or long-sleeved sweater? Or does it just mean no "tank tops"? Can women wear sleeveless dresses or blouses?

On designated formal nights, if we are not in cocktail dresses or dressy pantsuits (but are still nicely dressed - my mom almost never dresses up and really doesn't own a single dress!), and men are in suits without ties or nice khakis with a blazer, will be we allowed in the MDR? Also, how does the policy apply with children (we are traveling with 2 young girls)? Can they wear "playdresses" or must they be in fancier clothes?

Many thanks!

Based on what you described, you should have no problems on Celebrity. But beware, there will be some purists who are going to criticize you on this thread. Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you for the helpful reply. I have no issues in dressing up, and even my mom, who doesn't own anything but pants, will put on a nice scarf or jewelry if that is acceptable. She was just worried that she'd have to buy some new things for the trip and that's not really in the budget right now. My dad, also, doesn't own a suit (he's in his late 80s, been retired for years and they live in California where he never needs one), but does have a few nice pairs of wool pants and a blazer, as well as some dress shirts, but I imagine they wouldn't last too long if he had to wear them every night. My husband and I both have plenty of dressy clothes, but of course he's not going to wear a tux if my dad is in a sport coat, and I'm not going to wear a gown...

If gentlemen's shirts "must have sleeves" does that mean they cannot wear short-sleeved polo shirts in the evening to dinner? No, those are fine

They must be in a "dress shirt" or long-sleeved sweater? Or does it just mean no "tank tops"? Dress shirt not required, just no tank tops

Can women wear sleeveless dresses or blouses? Yes

"Must have sleeves" means no tank tops and applies to men at all times of the day in the MDR. I saw a man turned away at breakfast wearing a sleeveless athletic style shirt. Short sleeved shirts either golf type for smart casual (think dress code on a golf course) or short sleeved shirts with tie for formal (hopefully with a jacket). Some maitre d's have been known to hand out jackets for non-jacketed men on formal night although I don't know if that is a widespread practice.

The code for males on formal nights is very simple: tux, suit, or dinner jacket and slacks. By the way a sport coat is not a dinner jacket. Of course this is the code for the main dining room only.

That is the written dress code but reality sometimes is different. No one will be turned away with a sport jacket.

Also, I have never seen them enforce no sleeves for breakfast. The cruise line is aware that people are getting up and going out for the day, often off of the ship. I personally have entered the MDR in the morning as well as blu with T-Shirts and then went immediately off the ship. I was not alone.

Edited by dkjretired

That is the written dress code but reality sometimes is different. No one will be turned away with a sport jacket.

Also, I have never seen them enforce no sleeves for breakfast. The cruise line is aware that people are getting up and going out for the day, often off of the ship. I personally have entered the MDR in the morning as well as blu with T-Shirts and then went immediately off the ship. I was not alone.

Two things:

First, I agree with you that no one will be turned away on formal night wearing a sports jacket even though it is not in compliance with the dress code.

Second, a t-shirt has sleeves and is in compliance with the dress code prohibition against sleeveless shirts. Is it smart casual for dinnertime? Maybe not. Breakfast, sure. You can't wear a "wife beater" to the MDR. ;)

Edited by BKFlowerMound

This is a list of what I am taking on Celebrity Millenium cruise from Hawaii to Sydney, Australia........

Day - Cargo shorts (zippered or button pockets handy for not loosing money/wallet), T-shirts with short sleeves, deck shoes, croc sandals (so comfortable), board shorts, swimmers, etc.

(Before the cruise I will be buying some shorts & shirts as "hawaiian souvenirs", but also to wear on the ship (during the day)

Night - Black lightweight trousers, smart casual shirts, black shoes, etc.

Formal Nights: Because we are flying from Australia to Hawaii, then holidaying in Waikiki prior to the cruise, I didn't want to lug around a suit. My wife & I travel with the least amount of luggage that is required. The reason being, we like to buy clothing overseas on our trips abroad. P.S. I am after a pair Tahitian boardshorts.

So on formal nights (I believe there are only 3 nights on our cruise) we are going dine at another restaurant on the ship, perhaps the speciality restaurants.

Have a good day wherever you are.

Leigh

"Must have sleeves" means no tank tops and applies to men at all times of the day in the MDR. I saw a man turned away at breakfast wearing a sleeveless athletic style shirt. Short sleeved shirts either golf type for smart casual (think dress code on a golf course) or short sleeved shirts with tie for formal (hopefully with a jacket). Some maitre d's have been known to hand out jackets for non-jacketed men on formal night although I don't know if that is a widespread practice.

I think it is rare that a man in a tank top would be turned away in the morning though. But I guess technically he could

We have only (in recent years) cruised on NCL' date=' so the dress code is new for us. We are going on a 13-night Adriatic cruise at the end of the month, and I'm trying to plan. Here is the dress code per Celebrity's website:

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse. Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or dressy pantsuit. Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit, or dinner jacket with slacks.

The dress code in Celebrity’s specialty restaurants, including Blu, is “Smart Casual & Above” for every night of the cruise, regardless of the evening dress code in the main restaurant.

My questions are: If gentlemen's shirts "must have sleeves" does that mean they cannot wear short-sleeved polo shirts in the evening to dinner? They must be in a "dress shirt" or long-sleeved sweater? Or does it just mean no "tank tops"? Can women wear sleeveless dresses or blouses?

On designated formal nights, if we are not in cocktail dresses or dressy pantsuits (but are still nicely dressed - my mom almost never dresses up and really doesn't own a single dress!), and men are in suits without ties or nice khakis with a blazer, will be we allowed in the MDR? Also, how does the policy apply with children (we are traveling with 2 young girls)? Can they wear "playdresses" or must they be in fancier clothes?

Many thanks![/quote']

the only thing that is a real issue is shorts for dinner at any age and tank tops on the guys at dinner in the MDR. everything else is subject to personal preference.

T-Shirt has sleeves. Tank tops or sleeveless muscle shirts dont have sleeves. Weather they will be turned away is another story. I'm not the fashion police. I leave that to others. Richard

Iancal - Yes, we like to dress for the climate & comfort. However, we do enjoy meeting people in the dining room or bar, and hearing about their travels, enjoy a few jokes, a couple of drinks. I find people no matter where they come from, or what status in life they attained, how rich or poor they are, always have something of interest to pass on, and that really is what enriches our lives.

Regards Leigh.

P.S. Where we live in Queensland, Australia, we have some coconut palm trees along our foreshore. I found one that had dropped off, so I took home, then after an hour of sawing, tearing the husk, I got to the nut inside, and low & behold, there was milk, and coconut flesh to eat, so tonight on my sweets I having fresh coconut, yummy!

Have a good day wherever you are.

We have only (in recent years) cruised on NCL' date=' so the dress code is new for us. We are going on a 13-night Adriatic cruise at the end of the month, and I'm trying to plan. Here is the dress code per Celebrity's website:

Many thanks![/quote']

Sounds like you are trying to bend the dress code to suit your purposes. I would think from what you typed from Celebrity's dress code you already know the answers to your questions and are just looking for folks to agree with your point of view. The majority of guests follow the dress code. If you are not uncomfortable not following the dress code the choice is yours.

To the OP, if you are used to NCL, there is quite a difference with Celebrity but a lot of it is about intent. It's true that most people will observe the dress code, but the biggest thing is to look like all of you took some trouble to get dressed for the evening. This is in sharp contrast to NCL, where a lot of cruisers just wear what they were wearing all day. On Celebrity, your girls will be fine as long as they are clean, neatly dressed, hair nicely combed, no flip flops. Your Mom will be fine with a few accessories to liven up her regular outfits. More men than not will wear ties on formal nights, but if your Dad wears a sportcoat, he'll get by with that. The dress code overall is nowhere near as formal as it was a few years ago, but cruisers on Celebrity look like they took some trouble to get ready for the evening, and they enjoy the ambiance that other cruisers look nice also.

Sounds like you are trying to bend the dress code to suit your purposes. I would think from what you typed from Celebrity's dress code you already know the answers to your questions and are just looking for folks to agree with your point of view. The majority of guests follow the dress code. If you are not uncomfortable not following the dress code the choice is yours.

Not at all. I was asking for clarity about the dress code because it is not clear, no matter what you may think. For men on formal nights they specify "suit" - they don't say "suit and tie" and they say "dinner jacket and slacks" but in the U.S. (according to the 3 different men I asked about this), a sport coat or blazer (I'm not talking about a strangely patterned coat or weird colors) would be considered a "dinner jacket". "Slacks" to my understanding just means pants (but not jeans), so that would include khakis as well as dressier pants/trousers. Both men are fine to wear ties, but were wondering if they would be in the minority if they do, it sounds like they won't, so I will encourage them each to pack several ties. And as others mentioned, we have the option of eating in other restaurants for formal nights, which we might just do.

My parents (and my family) always look nicely put together and like we take pride in our appearance, it was more about trying to understand what the dress code is "really" and how we can adapt ourselves (and our wardrobes) to fit with it.

I'm not sure who you asked, but a dinner jacket is not synonymous with a sport coat or blazer. Think James Bond -- those white coats he wore on many occasions were dinner jackets -- more like a tuxedo jacket than a sport coat or a blazer.

Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuxedo

Cruisestitch is correct and just as a point, jeans are permitted in the dining room except for formal nights. Whoever you asked was dead wrong.

Not at all. I was asking for clarity about the dress code because it is not clear' date=' no matter what you may think. For men on formal nights they specify "suit" - they don't say "suit and tie" and they say "dinner jacket and slacks" but in the U.S. (according to the 3 different men I asked about this), a sport coat or blazer (I'm not talking about a strangely patterned coat or weird colors) would be considered a "dinner jacket". "Slacks" to my understanding just means pants (but not jeans), so that would include khakis as well as dressier pants/trousers. Both men are fine to wear ties, but were wondering if they would be in the minority if they do, it sounds like they won't, so I will encourage them each to pack several ties. And as others mentioned, we have the option of eating in other restaurants for formal nights, which we might just do.

My parents (and my family) always look nicely put together and like we take pride in our appearance, it was more about trying to understand what the dress code is "really" and how we can adapt ourselves (and our wardrobes) to fit with it.[/quote']

No matter what you decide, I believe we'll all have a great cruise! We'll both be in tuxedos on formal night, as will the husband of the couple we're travelling with (Joelmarj). But that's really for packing convenience - one outfit, three days! (Sorry, Marjorie!) But, as many have said, and as you have indicated that you will, as long as you makes an effort, you should be fine as described, especially if your father and husband are wearing ties.

Children have a wider latitude, and sun dressed should be fine, assuming it's warm enough.

Whatever you decide, we'll have a great cruise, and really can't wait.

Andrew

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app