Quest Oct 9 Nice or Monte Carlo embarkation?

durante

Looking at the marine traffic website, Quest is still docked at Monte Carlo as as 7.30am oct 9th, but I thought that the cruise started in the port of Nice. does anyone know if things have changed or if the quest will be leaving Monte Carlo later today?

Well I hope it's departing from Nice as we are here waiting to embark! :eek:

Seriously though, it's only a matter of an hour or two's sailing from Monte Carlo to Nice, so often Quest will leave it to the morning to depart MC for Nice. It is just along the coast.

A few years ago on Quest Captain Carl took us from Nice to MC for an hour and that was just to watch a firework display.

Just a point for those booking pre cruise hotels in Nice too. The Boscolo Exedra is wonderful and not to be confused with it's sister hotel The Boscolo Plaza.....which is most definitely not wonderful. Luckily this time we are in

The Boscolo Exedra......my room is fantastic! :) The weather is also sunny.

I'm off to breakfast now and then to spend an hour shopping in Nice before hopefully embarking Quest.

Have a great trip Lottie and thanks for the note re the hotels in Nice, I have noted your advice in our files for future reference!!

Regards to everyone on board, hope they are all behaving!!

But friends who expected to disembark Quest at Nice today wrote yesterday to report that they would instead disembark at Monte Carlo and be bussed to the airport...

Apparently, Quest was struck by lightning on Monday night which, in turn, knocked out the ship's radar... "The Captain actually turned off all the ship lights and 'looked really hard out the windows', to make it into the port of Monaco during the night."

Oh dear

Lucky it is such a short road trip, Get Well Soon Quest xxxx

The comments about the Captain are interesting, I am assuming it was Captain Carl, he has always made the point that he still considers seamanship a skill and he teaches the old ways not relying on instruments to his young crew. Sounds like it is just as well he has these skills and can "drive the ship" as he calls it without relying on the technology

i read this on facebook yesterday. my friend said you could not feel it being hit at all. He went out with friends and enjoyed the night there. by train it is about 30 minutes each way. So i am sure busing people only took a few extra minutes of time.

Yes, Carl is on the ship. young crew- Carl is only 40 and the staff captain like 37 or 38.

Well I hope it's departing from Nice as we are here waiting to embark! :eek:

Seriously though, it's only a matter of an hour or two's sailing from Monte Carlo to Nice, so often Quest will leave it to the morning to depart MC for Nice. It is just along the coast.

A few years ago on Quest Captain Carl took us from Nice to MC for an hour and that was just to watch a firework display.

Just a point for those booking pre cruise hotels in Nice too. The Boscolo Exedra is wonderful and not to be confused with it's sister hotel The Boscolo Plaza.....which is most definitely not wonderful. Luckily this time we are in

The Boscolo Exedra......my room is fantastic! :) The weather is also sunny.

I'm off to breakfast now and then to spend an hour shopping in Nice before hopefully embarking Quest.

Lottie, I see you are on your way (from Monaco) and did a bit of twirl as you left to reset the instruments. I saw Quest a few times when I was on Equinox this last week and there were some pretty impressive storms around Italy and the South of France when we were there. Have a great cruise!

Phil

Hello Azamara Quest Followers -

Here is some more background information about the Azamara Quest's decision to disembark and embark from Monaco on October 9, 2013 rather than Nice.

Our ship operations team in Miami reported that the repairs to the radar system from the lightening storm took longer to repair than anticipated and the decision was made to remain in Monaco to complete the repairs. Of course, that meant that the turn-around would take place in Monaco rather than Nice.

For all guests boarding on October 9 and arriving into Nice, they will be transferred to Monaco:

§ Any pre-cruise hotel guest with transfers will be automatically transferred to Monaco.

§ There were two teams at the Nice Airport: 1 team in each terminal to assist guests to go to Monaco by motor coach.

§ There was one team on the pier in Nice waiting for independent guests to assist them on a transfer to Monaco by motor coach.

We're fortunate indeed that our Captain and his staff were at the helm when this unexpected bolt from the sky caused a change to our operational plans! Also, we were fortunate that the geography was accommodating in helping the logistical components.

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Seems like she has some more problems now at 4 am UTC. The Quest is heading for Genoa instead of Portofino. Probably some more minor problems that have to be fixed. Hope the guests on board will have some great excursions from the lovely city of Genoa instead;)

Seems like she has some more problems now at 4 am UTC. The Quest is heading for Genoa instead of Portofino. Probably some more minor problems that have to be fixed. Hope the guests on board will have some great excursions from the lovely city of Genoa instead;)

That might be unrelated. We swapped Portofino last year for Genoa because of wind/swell. Portofino is a tender port and if it's unsafe to tender, they go to Genoa.

Floris

The reason for the switch from Portofino to Genoa, Italy is weather related:

Due to forecast high wave activity ... which would limit the ability to perform the tendering operation in the Port of Portofino, the decision has been made to visit the Port of Genoa instead docking at the Ponte Doria West berth. New arrival time will be 08:00am(local) and the estimated time of departure will be 9:00pm(local).

Thank you, Floris, for your input - much appreciated!

Rest regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

The reason for the switch from Portofino to Genoa, Italy is weather related:

Due to forecast high wave activity ... which would limit the ability to perform the tendering operation in the Port of Portofino, the decision has been made to visit the Port of Genoa instead docking at the Ponte Doria West berth. New arrival time will be 08:00am(local) and the estimated time of departure will be 9:00pm(local).

Thank you, Floris, for your input - much appreciated!

Rest regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

Bill: That was great news:D I am sure they had a fantastic day in Genoa;) Sorry if I seemed to start a small fire. Not intended:o

Archived