Joggers

ellbon

Many people do not realize this. but living as a guest on deck 8 you can hear them at very weird times. This past winter i woke up from a deep sleep from 1230 am to 230 am and other days at 6 to 630.

At the time Philip took care of it.

This summer I complained again several times between 6 am and 7 am.. nothing was ever done about this. Philip said it would make it in the daily's but it never was.

i feel I was blown off. they put things in about smokers and leaving stuff on chairs for hours and it still happend. but the people on deck 8 lost sleep and no one cared.

It is a little late to blame the builder of the ship but there should be hours of no jogging. from about 11 pm to 8 am is fair.

i ama very light sleeper and i get punish daily for that.. i called my butler a lot for breakfast earlier than needed or wanted due to the joggers.

Time Azamara sets rules for joggers.

Many people do not realize this. but living as a guest on deck 8 you can hear them at very weird times.

Robin:

Always book deck 7 to get the best of the best location. No noise above or below.

if i did that i have to give up a small suite for a large one.. have thought about that! but i seem to cruise with Craig and Scott a lot and they like that cabin on deck 7.

wsih the ship builders put suites on deck 7 like on other ships.

if i did that i have to give up a small suite for a large one.. have thought about that! but i seem to cruise with Craig and Scott a lot and they like that cabin on deck 7.

wsih the ship builders put suites on deck 7 like on other ships.

If Craig & Scott take one OS, take the other one. As you know, there are two large suites aft on deck 7, 7114 and 7119. There are also two forward, 7004 & 7005. Of course the aft suites sometimes have lots of vibration at high speed (particularly on deck 6), and some people don't like the forward suites because of the view. Such a problem. ;)

If Craig & Scott take one OS, take the other one. As you know, there are two large suites aft on deck 7, 7114 and 7119. There are also two forward, 7004 & 7005. Of course the aft suites sometimes have lots of vibration at high speed (particularly on deck 6), and some people don't like the forward suites because of the view. Such a problem. ;)

I have visited the aft suites and the vibration hurts my tummy.. walked out of the MDR fro that reason.. forward if rough i would be in trouble!

wpuld ot not be easier to just stop the joggers from 11 to 8. .i mean who needs to run on deck at 630 am

Unfortunately (and I do feel for you), early morning is one of the best times to fit it in around meals (you need to jog on an empty stomach) and (more importantly) people on the track doing other things (sitting, meandering, etc.) Also unfortunately, some people are really noisy. It is possible to jog and not pound, but many people are just born pounders.

I have always wondered why ships are not designed with quiet in mind, especially for expensive suites. There's too much public space above and around the high-rent district. I guess it's all about the view...

I purposely did not book deck 8...my thought was the noise around all the public areas on deck 9. Seems there's a lot of traffic on deck 9...never even though about people jogging, but they don't really job on deck 9, it's higher up. Does that noise affect people on deck 8?

I'm sooooooo glad we booked deck 7. We were on deck 6 last time and it was quiet too. We have a different category stateroom this time.

We have always stayed on Deck 8 and not had a problem, and i am married to a very light sleeper!

However, I think from your posts you like to stay in suites around 8040 whereas we stay around 8054 maybe moving to that end would be an idea- no vibration either.

On Celebrity they restricted running above the suites on ships like Galaxy when they had her, it was not to happen before 7 as I recall. I think that is reasonable, beyond that I think the restriction is not practical - after all Azamara is a destination line so the majority of guests are getting up then (or earlier) to go on discoveries ashore anyway. Joggers also will not want to run in high heat anyway so are going to want the ore breakfast time.

Worth trying a different room though I'd say

As a retired runner due to injury the best time to run is at 0530 am ....good temperature and you can watch the sunrise. I don't see how it is fair to restrict the activities of passengers due to noise they might make jogging. Do you want to limit the time people can walk the deck also?

...and (more importantly) people on the track doing other things (sitting, meandering, etc.)

I realize I confused where you were mentioning the jogging. We almost always go on the outside deck, which, of course, is up on deck 9 with no one below. Much nicer to be outside than in a gym.

I realize I confused where you were mentioning the jogging. We almost always go on the outside deck, which, of course, is up on deck 9 with no one below. Much nicer to be outside than in a gym.

Of course, just looked at the Deck Plans (though I think it is Deck 10 you mean) - no wonder we never heard anything!!!!

I can see now why the cruise line would not put any message in the Dailies, I cannot believe any one would hear a jogger two floors away, I suspect the sound the OP is hearing is something else and they cannot say - no walking on a deck before 8!

Many people do not realize this. but living as a guest on deck 8 you can hear them at very weird times. This past winter i woke up from a deep sleep from 1230 am to 230 am and other days at 6 to 630.

This summer I complained again several times between 6 am and 7 am.. nothing was ever done about this. Philip said it would make it in the daily's but it never was.

i feel I was blown off. they put things in about smokers and leaving stuff on chairs for hours and it still happend. but the people on deck 8 lost sleep and no one cared.

It is a little late to blame the builder of the ship but there should be hours of no jogging. from about 11 pm to 8 am is fair.

i ama very light sleeper and i get punish daily for that.. i called my butler a lot for breakfast earlier than needed or wanted due to the joggers.

The Jogging track is on Deck 10, not deck 9. So there is a deck between you and any walkers, runners or joggers using the "jogging track." What you are hearing, I think, is the crew preparing the pool area, etc., or the restaurant traffic. Note the gym isn't even above any suites?

Deck 10

Quest_Deck_10_V11_12.gif

I, too, was confused as to how noise on the "running" track on Deck 10 would be the problem. In my memory, much of that track is over open space below it, either interior or exterior.

I am always very impressed with the number of people on that track in the early morning who had the energy to meet their exercise goals. But, given the width of the track, I'm not certain that runners and walkers can easily coexist without the dangers of a midsea collision. That, of course, besides the sunrise, is a good reason for runners to be on the track so early. Perhaps a lane demarkation for the speedy ones might help in supporting some track etiquette.

Finally, on a lighter note, allow me to suggest the creation of a new officer onboard: let's call him/her the Chief Jogging Officer (sorry Bill L.); and given my extensive c.v. as a runner and coach, I think I know the perfect choice for that appointment :).

Not sure how you hear joggers as the jogging track is two decks up (for obvious reasons to prevent this issue). If joggers are using the pool deck then I'd be making firm and continued representation to GR and HD until it was sorted (I've had this problem on a Celebrity cruise and this was the way I dealt with it with a satisfactory result). Perhaps it was something else? If you are booking a Club Continent Suite you just need to pick your spot. I remember you shrugging me off about booking under the toilets, but I've had no problems there, joggers or otherwise!

Phil

No Joggers, etc. on Deck 9. In decent weather, I typically walk from the gym to the Windows Cafe for coffee between 630 and 7AM. I've never seen a jogger, runner or walker on Deck 9. Just the crew, setting up deck chairs. Perhaps on cold days the smokers are hopping up and down to keep circulation moving?:)

Ahh this is one of those where I ask myself, how is it that the desires of 1 passenger (in the cabin) outweigh the desires of the person who wants to jog?

Why is is OK to tell the jogger to stop, but not ok to tell the complainer to stop?

This is just a circumstance where I just chuck it up to experience, next time book a cabin in a different area so I won't bother the person who wants to jog early in the morning. If i need absolute silence, then I don't travel and I stay at home.

A cruise ship is an environment with 24/7 activity unlike home.

I've had to take lower level cabins in the past on cruises so I'd not be located near anyplace noise could come from. I could have also decided I want a nicer room and I'll deal with the noise that comes rom its position.

Ahh this is one of those where I ask myself, how is it that the desires of 1 passenger (in the cabin) outweigh the desires of the person who wants to jog?

Why is is OK to tell the jogger to stop, but not ok to tell the complainer to stop?

Because assuming that it was a jogger that the OP heard then they should use the flippin' jogging track one deck up and not a public pool deck with cabins underneath. That's why they don't put jogging tracks on ships immediately above cabins. The Celebrity cruise to which I referred was on Century. The deck 12 Sky Suites have a public deck above which looks great to joggers except there is a sign there saying it is a quiet deck with no jogging allowed. Makes perfect sense.

Having said all this I'm still not convinced it was joggers that the OP heard. It's an odd deck to try to jog on anyway with lots of lounger chairs and other obstacles.

Phil

First off iget out of bed and have taken pictures on my cell hpoen to show Philip and the front desk. .so they are there. being woken out of a sound sleep befrpoe 7 am is just rude.

the vibration goes down to deck 8.. i know the difference from a pounding runner vs say moving deck chairs after the White Night party.

my goal on starting this thread was to get Bill to talk to mia to set rules for jogging.

guess none of you jog and pound. .also people jog at 6 pm too.. noon etc so why pre breakfast.

First off iget out of bed and have taken pictures on my cell hpoen to show Philip and the front desk. .so they are there. being woken out of a sound sleep befrpoe 7 am is just rude.

the vibration goes down to deck 8.. i know the difference from a pounding runner vs say moving deck chairs after the White Night party.

my goal on starting this thread was to get Bill to talk to mia to set rules for jogging.

guess none of you jog and pound. .also people jog at 6 pm too.. noon etc so why pre breakfast.

I use the gym, but not the jogging track. However, I suggest a practical solution if the noise from Deck 10 somehow disturbs you in your stateroom on Deck 8:

31030_sml1.gif

maybe your butler can get you custom earplugs?

I use the gym, but not the jogging track. However, I suggest a practical solution if the noise from Deck 10 somehow disturbs you in your stateroom on Deck 8:

31030_sml1.gif

Was that ironic,- or just rude? NOT ? Some thoughts should maybe never come to print.:cool:

Was that ironic,- or just rude? NOT ? Some thoughts should maybe never come to print.:cool:

I guess there is no sense of humor in Norway. Perhaps you are hearing reindeer dancing on your roof and have empathy?

31030_sml1.gif

Your nasty.:eek:

I think it is unrealistic for the OP to try and stop people from jogging two decks above her cabin. Maybe if she is such a light sleeper ear plugs would be useful.

As to her question as to why people jog early in the morning it is usually related to air temperature and I always liked to jog before breakfast. Often on a port intensive cruise we are off the ship by 8 am.

I think it is unrealistic for the OP to try and stop people from jogging two decks above her cabin. Maybe if she is such a light sleeper ear plugs would be useful.

As to her question as to why people jog early in the morning it is usually related to air temperature and I always liked to jog before breakfast. Often on a port intensive cruise we are off the ship by 8 am.

I have to agree and I hope the cruise line takes the overall balance of views into consideration in this debate when deciding if any changes are needed or not

I did see in the original post the OP said lots of guests were affected by the issue, it would be good if others who have recently been on Deck 8 posts their views.

We will feed back after we get back next month and we certainly have a very light sleeper with us

Archived