How's the Veendam These Days?

startwin

This seems to have been an issue on Veendam for YEARS.

Since HAL does not appear willing to fix the issue one would have to assume that they feel it is too expensive to fix or the repair will take too long in dry dock to repair. Nevertheless, HAL continues to sell these cabins and the front desk team continue the same old act....feign surprise at the complaint and pretend that this is the first complaint lodged with the front desk on the situation.

Starting to lose my enthusiasm now.:o A warm and stuffy cabin would be a killer for me, and the lack of public deck space is also a huge factor, given the fact that we would not have a balcony on this cruise. I might have to rethink this whole plan. Thanks, everyone, for your input.

I've been very fortunate to find some extra "mad money", and with a need to just "do it now while we can" am thinking of adding one full cruise to another. The Veendam has a perfect 15-day from San Diego to FLL through the Panama at the end of March, getting to FLL on Apr 15th. And then we board the Zuiderdam on the 18th and come all the way back through the Panama and on to Vancouver. It would be a perfect vacation for us - and possibly our last as DH's insurance costs are going through the roof.:eek: Also, it would eliminate a lot of flying for us if we don't have to fly to FLL. San Diego is just a short flight away.

I haven't booked it yet, but am very tempted. The Veendam was my first HAL ship and I have a real soft spot for her, but there have been negative comments in the past. Is anyone recently back from a cruise on her?

Just finished a cruise at the end of Aug and the ship is still in good shape. It still looks good and if you had a good time before I think that you will be happy to be onboard again.

When we were on the Veendam in August and September, they still were not using the movie screen on the aft Lido deck. According to all the crew members we asked, it has never been used, and they did not know when it would be used.

Well, I know for a fact that it has been used as we've seen it.:) When the first retreat was put in we could watch a nature movie every morning. We are very early risers and the same movie would be on at 5am every single morning of the cruise. :eek: No sound was on so no problem with that. We kind of liked watching the penguins, the dolphins and sharks etc. on screen.

We will be spending 25 days on the Veendam in December; so we will let you all know how we found it to be. :D

We were out at the Retreat from time to time during our August Veendam cruise and we never heard music or saw a movie playing. It was turned on one or two days but only displayed changed geometic patterns. It was easy to ignore as it was soundless and not intrusive to our being able to have conversation or read. I was most disappointed about the blocking of what used to be beautiful view lines.

I can't imagine why they put the movie screen at the Retreat and then never use it, or only at 5 AM. Would I want them to be blaring a loud movie and music all afternoon? No. But a really good film in the evening, say around 10 pm, on a warm weather cruise if the weather was good might be fun and relaxing. We would go to that.

I thought that I might like the retreat as it was made handicap accessible.

There are three sets of stairs, and one ramp, spaced on the four sides of the "mound" to the entrance to the hot tubs.

I thought the ramp looked steep for a wheelchair, and I wouldn't want to be pushed up/down it, especially if the ramp were wet. And it does get wet! When the ship turns, there is still some water that comes out of the hot tubs, and pours down.

There's a pretty good size puddle that appears at the bottom of the ramp, too, so it does get a little slippery in that area.

Ruth, I totally agree about the Retreat. What a waste of space. However, the aft mini-suites added above were worth it to anyone staying in one. As a solo, I hadn't had any kind of balcony in three years, when DH could no longer travel. As a solo my upsell price was also double, but it was sheer heaven to spend 35 days looking out at the sea from an aft view. And so I just didn't miss the absence of the back pool that made these cabins possible. Peter Bos was also the best captain I've ever had in over 700 days at sea.

The veranda cabins, having their own private space on the deck mean that the rest of us can't sit out there except in a few places. And the new cabins added make the atrium space quite small.

Are the deck chairs on Lanai deck really reserved for Lanai guests only?

I may have misunderstood.

As I understand it, each Lanai room has 2 deck chairs assigned to it. I don't know how many chairs are on the lower promenade deck, so can't answer as to whether all the deck chairs are reserved or not.

There is a great deal of space on Lower Promenade where there are deck chairs available for the general public. The problem with that, on the Veendam especially, is that most of those chairs are in less than desirable areas. Many, if not most, of those chairs face solid bulkhead, so there is no view.

There are some outside cabins, and some office space, in the area with a view to the ocean, so the deck chairs there do get the view.

The Maasdam has fewer lanai cabins, so there are more desirable deck chairs available to all.

There are three sets of stairs, and one ramp, spaced on the four sides of the "mound" to the entrance to the hot tubs.

I thought the ramp looked steep for a wheelchair, and I wouldn't want to be pushed up/down it, especially if the ramp were wet. And it does get wet! When the ship turns, there is still some water that comes out of the hot tubs, and pours down.

There's a pretty good size puddle that appears at the bottom of the ramp, too, so it does get a little slippery in that area.

I noticed the same thing. The accessible ramp is a very steep angle and looked dangerous to me. I never saw anyone attempt to push a wheelchair either up or down it and would be surprised if many make the attempt. :(

That whole mess was poorly designed IMO

There are two reserved deck chairs in front of each lanai cabin. While there are many lanai cabins on the promenade deck, there are also many regular cabins and deck chairs lined up there for everyone to use.

We had a wonderful cruise in May on the Veendam from Quebec to Boston. We had an ocean view cabin. We did not have to worry about air conditioning on that cruise. The service was very good. The productions shows needed work. That's one area where I noticed a big cutback--just two female dancers and a few singers in the cast.

Can anyone tell me if it is just the Starboard side with the A/C issues in the aft on Deck 6 (lower promenade).. We have a cabin booked on the Veendam to Hawaii on January 21st on the port side as far aft as you can go. Thanks!

The two cabins mentioned are on port side; I didn't check the deckplans to see how far aft they are.

Even numbers are port; odd numbers are starboard.

Can anyone tell me if it is just the Starboard side with the A/C issues in the aft on Deck 6 (lower promenade).. We have a cabin booked on the Veendam to Hawaii on January 21st on the port side as far aft as you can go. Thanks!

We were in 408 with serious a/c issues. I am not sure exactly where the other passengers' cabins were, as we happened to meet at the elevator on our deck, and all I recall is that they were aft on deck 6. There were two couples - in two cabins, but I am sorry I don't know their cabin numbers.

We had an OV guarantee - had I known about the a/c issues I would never have opted to be assigned a cabin on deck 6 aft. I would have much preferred even an inside cabin on another deck.

was originally booked in a port deck 6 OV in the aft section for 1/4/14 sailing. Discussion in this thread moved me to switch cabin locations to starboard mid-ship. while may sleep better between now and sailaway, I'm now thinking that it may be a form of Russian Roulette as to whether we will be free of a/c and plumbing problems for the 17 day voyage. I guess, from recent comments, we will be eating well so it won't be all bad- and we should see the volcano in all its glory!

Ev

We will be sailing the 3/30 cruise on the Veeendam, Panama Canal. Have enjoyed reading all the posts especially about the lanai cabins.

We sailed the Maasdam over the holiday last year and took a chance on the lanai cabin. We have always had a verandah on previous sailings and had some concerns, smaller footage, no cabin fridge etc. we have been married long enough to know how to dance around each other so we took a chance. We loved it.

There was a bit of confusion on the first day as to what chairs belonged to what cabin. There was a note in the cabin explaining which chairs were for your use, problem was the note was wrong. The deck steward worked it out and we received an apology note from the front office...nice touch!

I can appreciate Ruth's comment, we loved sitting on our deck chairs and watching the world go by. It was nice to greet our neighbors but we never felt like we were invading their space. I am prone to running all over the ship and taking in all their is to offer. DH love to veg out with his books and puzzles and the outdoor set-up worked well for both of us

Not sure about the retreat area, will have to wait and experience it for ourselves .

So, that said we have booked another lanai cabin for this cruise. If the a/c goes out we will take our pillows and go out on deck. :) If your on this cruise with us stop by for a hello, that was another plus for us, we met so many wonderful people.

Archived