Having trouble getting excited.

Supposed to be taking a 4 day Bahamas cruise on RCI. I've never cruised RCI but being on an older ship and hearing that you have to pay for steaks and things has me turned off a little. I'm also just kind of tired of the Bahamas but am going with a friend.

Someone help me get excited because I know I should be. I'm sure having two one week cruises soon after is not helping (all are listed in my siggie but a 1 week Celebrity Southern Carib and Carnival 1 week western carrib).

We're limited on itineraries because we have to sail out the 13th (doing marathon weekend at Disney and don't want to spend way more on a Disney cruise).

Tips on Coco Cay? With Carnival I usually get a cabana but I've heard that's almost impossible at Coco Cay and they're not even on the beach. :(

No need to be turned off before you even get onboard. You don't have to pay for steaks. They are on the included menu every night. Only steak from the specialty Steak House is available in the MDR for an additional charge

It is possible to have an absolutely wonderful cruise on RCI without spending money on "extras".

And, no worries about it being an older ship. RCI ships are very well-maintained, and refurbished regularly.

I think you have been hearing very negative comments--some of which [maybe all] are not true. You will have a wonderful time. The Enchantment has gone through a recent dry dock. I think she has one of the nicest pool decks. It is perfect for cruises in warm weather. I have sailed on her 3 times.

I love the "flying walkways" that go over the area they added when they stretched the ship about 10 years ago.

Have fun:)

You don't HAVE to pay for any extra food, if you don't want to! There's plenty...and steak is on the menu in the MDR.

Coco Cay is a beach day. You do NOT need a cabana to have a beautiful day! There is sun and shade....and hammocks under the trees....it's a very nice place. Just don't stop at the 1st beach...it's too crowded! Keep on walking, and you'll find a great place to hang for the day.

I do agree about the Bahamas...but that stop makes a great ship day....the majority of the folks will be off the ship and you'll have a "private yacht" feel!

I just opted to change the ship and itinerary. I think it will be worth the extra money. Opting to go with a 5 day that leaves the same day out of Fort Lauderdale that goes to Labadee and Falmouth, both places I've never been. :)

Liberty is a great ship, and Labadee is one of the nicest beaches in the Caribbean!

Enjoy your cruise!

As a sidepoint... we recently helped some n00bs go on their first cruise.

Money was extremely tight for them. They paid for their cruise, taxes, off-site parking fees, prepaid grats, etc in advance. However, things got even tighter budget-wise before their cruise. They expressed concern about additional money for add-ons and hidden charges ruining their trip.

As experienced cruisers, we sat down with them and explained that if you didn't want to spend a dime, you didn't have to and gave them a bunch of tips on ways to do things without spending money. They actually walked on the ship with about $40 (they had an emergency credit card on the room, but knew they wouldn't be charging anything to it) in cash as spending money.

They told me they had a couple $ tip for the off-site parking driver and $5 extra to give their stateroom attendant as they left the ship.

The best part is that they felt so refreshed and had a wonderful time. They didn't get to do everything they could have if they had more funds, but they did a ton of stuff regardless. They were happy, well-fed, entertained, tan, relaxed, and felt like they had a perfect vacation.

It's not the money, it's what you make of it.

Money was extremely tight for them. They paid for their cruise, taxes, off-site parking fees, prepaid grats, etc in advance. However, things got even tighter budget-wise before their cruise. They expressed concern about additional money for add-ons and hidden charges ruining their trip.

As experienced cruisers, we sat down with them and explained that if you didn't want to spend a dime, you didn't have to and gave them a bunch of tips on ways to do things without spending money. They actually walked on the ship with about $40 (they had an emergency credit card on the room, but knew they wouldn't be charging anything to it) in cash as spending money.

They told me they had a couple $ tip for the off-site parking driver and $5 extra to give their stateroom attendant as they left the ship.

The best part is that they felt so refreshed and had a wonderful time. They didn't get to do everything they could have if they had more funds, but they did a ton of stuff regardless. They were happy, well-fed, entertained, tan, relaxed, and felt like they had a perfect vacation.

I need a like button for this.

Sent from iPhone using Cruise Critic App

Coco Cay is a beach day. You do NOT need a cabana to have a beautiful day! There is sun and shade....and hammocks under the trees....it's a very nice place. Just don't stop at the 1st beach...it's too crowded! Keep on walking, and you'll find a great place to hang for the day.

cb is right about Coco Caye...ALWAYS one of our faves...keep walking until you see this:

Note the palapas in the distance!

23qyzw5.jpg

or this:

nvz2c9.jpg

I'd much rather be in a hammock under the palms than a cabana!

You'll love your cruise, as for excitement, I'm getting excited just thinking about it.;)

Supposed to be taking a 4 day Bahamas cruise on RCI. I've never cruised RCI but being on an older ship and hearing that you have to pay for steaks and things has me turned off a little. I'm also just kind of tired of the Bahamas but am going with a friend. ...snip...

I guess I look at a vacation a little differently. To me a day at sea is always better than a day slaving away at the computer. So what if you have to pay for a better steak? Just eat other foods. Older ship with less to do? Just relax on the deck and people watch. Bring a good book.

Do not like the Bahamas? Stay on the ship and enjoy what it does have to offer.

You'll have a blast on your 4 day cruise! So sad you were giving some wrong information. Quite a few nights when I sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas in July for both the three and four night voyage I had some very tasty steaks in the dining room.

Your going to have a great cruise. Below is my live review from my cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas with pictures along with menus and Compasses of daily activities!

Have a super cruise!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1881918

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

I couldn't have said this better if I'd tried. For anyone not to be excited for a cruise, I just can't imagine at all. I love cruising and have two coming up and three already in the planning stages! Another word of advice, don't listen to all the negative comments. I hear (read) so many negative comments that I've decided the complainers are just complainers in real life and must have a pretty miserable existence! Enjoy your cruise!

I guess I look at a vacation a little differently. To me a day at sea is always better than a day slaving away at the computer. So what if you have to pay for a better steak? Just eat other foods. Older ship with less to do? Just relax on the deck and people watch. Bring a good book.

Do not like the Bahamas? Stay on the ship and enjoy what it does have to offer.

I couldn't agree more! We're cruising to the Bahamas over Christmas with our daughter. She's been to the Bahamas and has no interest in getting off the ship so she's just going to stay on-board while we explore Nassau. She's looking forward to being on the ship with hardly any other passengers around!

Your going to have a great cruise. Below is my live review from my cruise on the Enchantment of the Seas with pictures along with menus and Compasses of daily activities!

Have a super cruise!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1881918

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Please excuse any errors.

The OP changed to the 5 night cruise on Liberty :)

There's a complimentary steak available every night in the Main Dining Room. Only the upgraded "Chops" steak is extra cost.

I guess that depends on your definition of steak. On our August cruise both my wife and I had one on different nights. Mine (first) was rather tough and overcooked...I asked for medium-rare because most places slightly overcook and it was much closer to medium-well. Hers was not good at all...cooked incorrectly, tough and poorly seasoned. But she wasn't famished that night so she just ate the sides and with appetizer and desert was full.

However, it was in the shape of a steak...was made of beef...and they did bring a steak knife.

DH and I do not order steak on a cruise. We buy our beef directly from a farm in a our area. We do not think any of the steaks they serve are that great compared to what we cook on our own grill. I think this is true of other cruise lines, too. [have tried carnival, celebrity and RCL]

But, having said that I feel the food in the MDR is very good. There are things I like a lot and things I do not like. [all taste is subjective]

I try to order some different things on a cruise rather than steak. JMHO

Supposed to be taking a 4 day Bahamas cruise on RCI. I've never cruised RCI but being on an older ship and hearing that you have to pay for steaks and things has me turned off a little. I'm also just kind of tired of the Bahamas but am going with a friend.

Someone help me get excited because I know I should be. I'm sure having two one week cruises soon after is not helping (all are listed in my siggie but a 1 week Celebrity Southern Carib and Carnival 1 week western carrib).

We're limited on itineraries because we have to sail out the 13th (doing marathon weekend at Disney and don't want to spend way more on a Disney cruise).

Tips on Coco Cay? With Carnival I usually get a cabana but I've heard that's almost impossible at Coco Cay and they're not even on the beach. :(

going to the liberty was a major upgrade and will worth it . thy have the ice show the flow rider rock wall and if you are a fan of 70 s music they have the broadway production of Saturday night fever you will love it good luck

Wow, thanks for all the comments, I appreciate them. I'm sure it sounded bratty to some and I'm sure we would have had a great time. I admit to cruising for ports so sometimes going to same places all the time gets repetitive to me (I totally admit to being spoiled after living in Europe a few years and now in Alaska and I'm not exactly a beach person or a sit out by the pool kind of person). But I'm feeling more encouraged and I truthfully don't eat a lot of steak. I'm not really sure what to expect on board but I'm sure it will be fantastic.

My friend has low expectations. Her only other cruise was with me in Greece on Louis Cruiselines. lol.

Archived