Magic first cruise cancelled

DISNEY FANTASY

We were lucky to see the Magic and Fantasy docked together in Port Canaveral last Saturday when we disembarked from our Western Caribbean cruise. What a difference in the size of the ships. Fantasy looked like Papa bear, while Magic looked like baby bear.

With the VGT, you can get placed anywhere within the verandah segment. We received a Category 5C - Deluxe Oceanview with Verandah

We received the same! It is actually the lowest category verandah a family of 4 can get BUT I like the location so that is no biggie to me.

If you only have three you can be assigned a Navigator verandah

We received the same! It is actually the lowest category verandah a family of 4 can get BUT I like the location so that is no biggie to me.

If you only have three you can be assigned a Navigator verandah

I am very happy with this assignment. We are 4, so I knew we would not get Navigator's Verandah, but there was the possibility of getting the solid white wall on a cat 6A verandah

I have been following Scott Sanders's tweets from DCLB who is sailing on the new Magic. I was not aware that Disney ships now have lifeguards at the family pools. Does anyone know when this new procedure started? Was it after the accident on the Fantasy or after the recent drownings on the CCL ships? I am glad to see the addition of the lifeguards, but I hope parents will still keep an eye on their little ones.

He seems to be impressed with the changes, but his balcony was not updated and still has rust.:confused:

Edited by Irene7
spelling

I have been following Scott Sanders's tweets from DCLB who is sailing on the new Magic. I was not aware that Disney ships now have lifeguards at the family pools. Does anyone know when this new procedure started? Was it after the accident on the Fantasy or after the recent drownings on the CCL ships? I am glad to see the addition of the lifeguards, but I hope parents will still keep an eye on their little ones.

He seems to be impressed with the changes, but his balcony was not updated and still has rust.:confused:

Lifeguards are not too new, I saw them on the Wonder in August and the life jackets people refer to being at the pools, i saw on the Wonder in August and posted photos of them last week on a thread.

I have been following facebook for TAs and also Disney Cruise line on facebook and Disney parks blog and another forum, all have lots of great photos.

On the internet just google it and you will get loads.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

Lifeguards are not too new, I saw them on the Wonder in August and the life jackets people refer to being at the pools, i saw on the Wonder in August and posted photos of them last week on a thread.

I have been following facebook for TAs and also Disney Cruise line on facebook and Disney parks blog and another forum, all have lots of great photos.

On the internet just google it and you will get loads.

Thank you much for the info.!:D

Spent a lot of the weekend reading up reports re Magic2.

The reports from TAs on Facebook and another smaller forum have all in the main been very very positive.

My friend who was onboard in the last two days has reported very positive reports about the improvements.

When I first saw the early information coming in I took in lot of negative tones in the comments made but that seems to be only from one source and overall the vast majority are very happy.

I have seen some future cruisers now get a bit upset re the initial negative reporting but I do think the issues quoted are very very isolated and overall this has been a very good upgrade.

I do recommend any future cruiser on the Magic googles as many sources as possible so to ease their worries.

The reports from TAs on Facebook and another smaller forum have all in the main been very very positive.

TAs were told they could not post any of their own photos on social media during the weekend cruise (Oct 25-27). That's because many parts of the ship looked terrible. Lots of work is still undone and there is construction debris everywhere.

I was supposed to be on the Oct 20 5-night cruise (which I was paying for) plus the Oct 25 2-day cruise (which Disney was paying for). When the first cruise was cancelled and I could not switch to the Oct 27 5-night cruise, I decided not to bother going to Miami for just the 2-nighter. After talking with some TAs who were on the 2-night sailing, I'm glad I made that call.

There were significant infrastructure problems during the 2-night sailing, including some staterooms on Deck 6 with non-working/overflowing toilets, water pouring out of a wall into a stateroom in the middle of the night, no power in some staterooms (one TA was taking showers by flashlight) and no hot water in some staterooms. Some cabins were not cleaned before guests embarked -- every surface was covered in fine white dust.

Many public areas have unfinished/dirty/scratched up surfaces caused by the drydock work and not yet repaired. Carpets in some public areas have visible glue and seams showing.

Karl Holz and other top executives were on the Oct 25 sailing, so they should have some idea how bad things were. The worst issues should be fixed in the near future, of course.

What concerns me is that the verandahs were apparently not touched at all, so they are still rusty and grungy. Those should have been sandblasted down to the metal, repaired and redone in drydock. Likewise the stateroom wall panels were not replaced, so they are still worn and dirty. I'm shocked that this was not done.

On a positive note, everyone loves the new kids' areas and the restaurant and nightclub re-dos get high marks.

TAs were told they could not post any of their own photos on social media during the weekend cruise (Oct 25-27). That's because many parts of the ship looked terrible. Lots of work is still undone and there is construction debris everywhere.

I was supposed to be on the Oct 20 5-night cruise (which I was paying for) plus the Oct 25 2-day cruise (which Disney was paying for). When the first cruise was cancelled and I could not switch to the Oct 27 5-night cruise, I decided not to bother going to Miami for just the 2-nighter. After talking with some TAs who were on the 2-night sailing, I'm glad I made that call.

There were significant infrastructure problems during the 2-night sailing, including some staterooms on Deck 6 with non-working/overflowing toilets, water pouring out of a wall into a stateroom in the middle of the night, no power in some staterooms (one TA was taking showers by flashlight) and no hot water in some staterooms. Some cabins were not cleaned before guests embarked -- every surface was covered in fine white dust.

Many public areas have unfinished/dirty/scratched up surfaces caused by the drydock work and not yet repaired. Carpets in some public areas have visible glue and seams showing.

Karl Holz and other top executives were on the Oct 25 sailing, so they should have some idea how bad things were. The worst issues should be fixed in the near future, of course.

What concerns me is that the verandahs were apparently not touched at all, so they are still rusty and grungy. Those should have been sandblasted down to the metal, repaired and redone in drydock. Likewise the stateroom wall panels were not replaced, so they are still worn and dirty. I'm shocked that this was not done.

On a positive note, everyone loves the new kids' areas and the restaurant and nightclub re-dos get high marks.

Interesting, firstly thank you for that first hand report.

Where you say-

TAs were told they could not post any of their own photos on social media during the weekend cruise (Oct 25-27). That's because many parts of the ship looked terrible

I have seen at least three TAs post their own photos, on social media, all were positive photos, I have seen maybe a hundred or so.

I have seen one or two negative photos, one was a verandah with 'some' flaky paint on it, hard to see how bad it was but didn't look too serious, however I would agree there should be none.

It's good management are on board and seeing any issues and working on them.

Yours is the second I have read with some negative issues but as said seen three very positive ones as well. I have a friend who was on and her reports were positive today to me.

All I say is its most interesting.

The concern is it's worried up coming magic cruisers, I have one booked in nine months, I am lucky I am not worried it will be fixed by then.

Thanks again for the first hand report.

On a completely separate note to the quoted post, ( I want to make it clear it's not coupled here) do recall that Dream and fantasy had some issues and negative posts at the start and did settle down quickly.

The ones I refer to here are on another DCL forum.

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY