Magic first cruise cancelled

DISNEY FANTASY

JustKirbo, I have to agree. It seems only the glowing reviews are considered valid to a few folks on this thread. You and I have both read the personal accounts from the same friends on FB. They are not negative people or the type to exaggerate. As a matter of fact, they are big Disney fans. So I don't take their statements of their experiences "with a pinch of salt".
Thank you for chiming in, hencoll.

I highlighted one of your sentences and completely agree! That is me. I expect near perfection - I know that perhaps that is unfair - however I have had some fantastic experiences on Disney cruises. I think that is why, although my Fantasy cruise would have been fabulous to some, it was just okay to me.... So I totally get that - and I am trying to tame my expectations a bit so I can just relax and enjoy
I'm sure much of it will be fixed in time for your cruise. I hope you have a Magical time.

It's interesting how this develops I have read both sides and contacted friends who were on the ship and posted a reply.

The comment that people expect Disney to be perfect is valid, if you pay a lot for a vacation anywhere that's valid.

However also booking a cruise just after dry dock you have to accept there may be some minor issues, and it may not be perfect.

My friend answered well saying thier expectations were there would be some snagging to be completed but overall they were not affected.

To see a photo of a little paint on one verandah and get it disproportional coverage on the first cruise post dry dock it's not representational.

I do recall the negative comments post Dream coming into service but actually it's first season was the best DCL ever had on filling the ship.

Everyone's view point is valid and is interesting, what I have posted is read snd google them all snd make your own mind up as a few are disproportionally, negative and giving future cruisers concerns which are unnessersary

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

It's interesting how this develops I have read both sides and contacted friends who were on the ship and posted a reply.

The comment that people expect Disney to be perfect is valid, if you pay a lot for a vacation anywhere that's valid.

However also booking a cruise just after dry dock you have to accept there may be some minor issues, and it may not be perfect.

My friend answered well saying thier expectations were there would be some snagging to be completed but overall they were not affected.

To see a photo of a little paint on one verandah and get it disproportional coverage on the first cruise post dry dock it's not representational.

I do recall the negative comments post Dream coming into service but actually it's first season was the best DCL ever had on filling the ship.

Everyone's view point is valid and is interesting, what I have posted is read snd google them all snd make your own mind up as a few are disproportionally, negative and giving future cruisers concerns which are unnessersary

I don't think anyone is really focusing on paint (okay well some people certain places are) I think people are more worried about the plumbing/electrical/ac issues that it seems were problematic on the Magic prior to drydock. Those issues should have been taken care of - I don't think anyone would expect those issues to happen post drydock especially because they were happening prior to.

I sailed on the 3rd sailing of the Dream - Honestly, aside from the servers being a bit confused about where the tables were... and new staff needing to learn how to manage their day to day - we did not have any issues at all. If there were things still being worked on or worked out we had NO IDEA at all. I don't expect the Magic to be a shiny new ship when I sail her - but honestly I do expect to not have a dusty room upon embarkation, and I also expect that my room be in complete working order.

I don't think anyone is really focusing on paint (okay well some people certain places are) I think people are more worried about the plumbing/electrical/ac issues that it seems were problematic on the Magic prior to drydock. Those issues should have been taken care of - I don't think anyone would expect those issues to happen post drydock especially because they were happening prior to.

I sailed on the 3rd sailing of the Dream - Honestly, aside from the servers being a bit confused about where the tables were... and new staff needing to learn how to manage their day to day - we did not have any issues at all. If there were things still being worked on or worked out we had NO IDEA at all. I don't expect the Magic to be a shiny new ship when I sail her - but honestly I do expect to not have a dusty room upon embarkation, and I also expect that my room be in complete working order.

Yes one report was a little lets say obsessed with some paint on a verandah and on deck 4 embarkation.

I was told limited aft rooms have the plumbing/electrical/ac issues that will not be acceptable to cruisers, those cabins should have not been offered to cruisers in that condition and they should have tested them.

I was told it's very limited and again some reports is it's been hyped up to a far bigger issue in a few reports.

If anyone has had a poor experience, I feel for you and respect your opinion, but reports differ and some people quote far more positive reports so it seems localised.

Funny we went on another cruise line in normal service not after a dry dock and had some dust on a table, we just wiped it and got on with it.

Funny we went on another cruise line in normal service not after a dry dock and had some dust on a table, we just wiped it and got on with it.

I think if I get to my room and it is dusty and nothing else happens I probably won't even remember BUT if my room is dusty and other things are broken/not working then it will just seem like one more thing on the list, know what I mean?

We rented a home once for a week long vacation - when we arrived it was VERY dusty and stale smelling. We cleaned and aired the place out a bit. It didn't effect my vacation in a negative way overall - but still I remember having to do it and would think twice before renting from the same person.

I think if I get to my room and it is dusty and nothing else happens I probably won't even remember BUT if my room is dusty and other things are broken/not working then it will just seem like one more thing on the list, know what I mean?

We rented a home once for a week long vacation - when we arrived it was VERY dusty and stale smelling. We cleaned and aired the place out a bit. It didn't effect my vacation in a negative way overall - but still I remember having to do it and would think twice before renting from the same person.

Agree the issues are peoples expectations are perfection but we all know day to day that may be possible and after a major refurbishment there will be issues.

Yes people will form opinions.

But it seems a few were just looking out for them, one quotes walking on the ship on deck 4 and bring disappointed it wasn't re painted, sorry that's not a fault, and saying the promenade lounge was unchanged! That's not a fault!

Yes feel sorry for the fee with serious stateroom issues, not flakes of paint on a verandah, annoying yes serious no, but with cold water.

I stayed in a five star hotel this summer and it had cold water for a while it was sorted we didn't need to complain or put photos up on the Internet, albeit cold water is hard to show!

JustKirbo, I have to agree. It seems only the glowing reviews are considered valid to a few folks on this thread. You and I have both read the personal accounts from the same friends on FB. They are not negative people or the type to exaggerate. As a matter of fact, they are big Disney fans. So I don't take their statements of their experiences "with a pinch of salt".

I totally agree!

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

Just had another person reply to my question, who was on the cruise and will cut and paste their view here for more balance.

I'm with your friend. 90% is a about right. And I spent 12 nights on the Magic this summer, so I had a very recent experience with the ship. There were some things that still needed touch up (and I do believe they will be done over time) but this reimagined ship is wonderful. From reading some reports you would think it got worse. I loved it this summer, and it just got a whole lot better!!

I talked to one of the bloggers for several hours on Saturday night. I don't want to put words in his mouth, so I'll refrain from saying who it was, but my impression was that he was mainly unhappy because he was led to believe from the promotional videos that the rooms would be gutted. Stripped down to bare steel and redone. I never got that impression from the videos, but I haven't gone back to watch to check.

I think the things that were redone were A.Maz.Ing. The aforementioned blogger agrees with that. They were done perfectly and HUGE improvements.

Cabanas is 1000 times better than Topsiders. The beds, bedding, and new shelves and plugs in the rooms are 1000 times better. The kids clubs are incredible. The AquaDunk and Twist and Spout were both super additions. The adult clubs were great.

I'll say it again, the things that were redone were wonderful. I didn't hear anyone disagree with that.

There were some things that were not finished yet. Our toilet stopped working twice, but was fixed within 10 minutes both times. I know they had the same problem across the hall, and it sounds like the whole section did. Again, they were fixed quickly, and I'm sure Disney will spend a lot of time getting to the root of the issue over the next few weeks. The media was told that someone flushed something they shouldn't have on the crossing and caused all kinds of issues.

We had none of the other problems. Our room was great. If I searched I could find scuffs on the wood, and our grout could have been touched up, and the toilet seat looked worn, but I wasn't expecting brand new everything. Even pointing those things out makes it sound like our room looked bad and it just didn't! It was gorgeous! I spent a couple of hours in the airport with Dave Marx (Passporter) who said his room was perfect and looked brand new.

I 100% disagree with the person that said TA's were told not to take pictures because of the problems. No way. We were told we could not use our pictures for commercial purposes, as they didn't want guests showing up in pictures promoting our agency without their consent. We were not told to refrain from taking pictures or keep them off our personal social media accounts. I made sure to get clarification in person before posting any pictures.

I confirmed with Ricky Brigante (Inside the Magic - I think he is who told me that, not Dave Marx, but maybe both) that the media/bloggers were not given any instructions with their pictures at all, and they were everywhere. The majority of people on the ship were paying guests (even some TA's that were paying guests) and they were taking pictures of everything.

Yes one report was a little lets say obsessed with some paint on a verandah and on deck 4 embarkation.

I was told limited aft rooms have the plumbing/electrical/ac issues that will not be acceptable to cruisers, those cabins should have not been offered to cruisers in that condition and they should have tested them.

I was told it's very limited and again some reports is it's been hyped up to a far bigger issue in a few reports.

If anyone has had a poor experience, I feel for you and respect your opinion, but reports differ and some people quote far more positive reports so it seems localised.

Of course reports are going to differ. People have different tolerance levels. I would not be happy to walk into a my stateroom after a major drydock and it looked like the pictures on the DCL Blog, I would not be happy at all.

There has been plenty of positive reports and that in no way discredits the negative reports.

Also, you keep on mentioning the Dream coming into service. I did a B2B on the second and third sailing of the Dream and we had no issues as major as those that have been reported from the Magic. There were some little service hiccups that were expected from the launching of a much larger ship. That's MY personal experience not something told to me from someone else.

Agree the issues are peoples expectations are perfection but we all know day to day that may be possible and after a major refurbishment there will be issues.

Yes people will form opinions.

But it seems a few were just looking out for them, one quotes walking on the ship on deck 4 and bring disappointed it wasn't re painted, sorry that's not a fault, and saying the promenade lounge was unchanged! That's not a fault!

Yes feel sorry for the fee with serious stateroom issues, not flakes of paint on a verandah, annoying yes serious no, but with cold water.

I stayed in a five star hotel this summer and it had cold water for a while it was sorted we didn't need to complain or put photos up on the Internet, albeit cold water is hard to show!

I think you are over-minimizing the verandah issue. There was more than just a little paint issue. The door handle was broken and there was also dry rot. If someone is paying for a verandah, they should be able to enjoy it without sitting in a mess.

One free cruise. Not 2 cuises.

The poster said 2 cruises because they got their money back in addition to a free cruise. If they use the money they originally intended to use, they get 2 cruises for the price of 1.

Of course reports are going to differ. People have different tolerance levels. I would not be happy to walk into a my stateroom after a major drydock and it looked like the pictures on the DCL Blog, I would not be happy at all.

There has been plenty of positive reports and that in no way discredits the negative reports.

Also, you keep on mentioning the Dream coming into service. I did a B2B on the second and third sailing of the Dream and we had no issues as major as those that have been reported from the Magic. There were some little service hiccups that were expected from the launching of a much larger ship. That's MY personal experience not something told to me from someone else.

Firstly please see the new post above from another cruiser on the recent Magic cruise, and an experienced cruiser who is very level in her responses.

Any issue fixed in ten minutes, someone may have out something in the toilet that they should, causing issues with pluming, perfect staterooms.

Doesn't sound like the same ship?

When referring to the Dream, you made my point, yes there were many negative posts on forums but no issues at all!

Some things I have posted have been completely taken out if context, which is actually upsetting, I have never said ignore negative reports or the favourable ones are the only ones that are valid,

I feel completely mis represented and mis quoted there!

I have said time and time again I respect all views but people should google all as there are a lot of good reports out there and one negative review getting too much disproportional airtime is working upcoming Magic cruisers too much?

Again see the post above (184) from another cruiser it puts it far more into context from a level headed experienced cruiser.

People are over relying on one persons opinions on one blog, doesn't the old comment of newspapers, bad news sells, come to mind?

Simon Cowell foes this creates lots of press to try go support his failing X Factor, his view no news is bad news!

Edited by DISNEY FANTASY

I think you are over-minimizing the verandah issue. There was more than just a little paint issue. The door handle was broken and there was also dry rot. If someone is paying for a verandah, they should be able to enjoy it without sitting in a mess.

On an ship that's 15 years old, not a new ship, just out of dry dock and you get a few flakes if paint, many other cruisers describe in words as perfect and wonderful, and a great improvement, yes there are a few flakes of paint, should there be? no, disappointing, yes! Out of proportion? Yes, one negative photo goes around the Internet, loads of positive posts and photos completely ignored as the one person has to be right!

You get shows close on broadway or the west end on one negative review, I saw Robert De Niro talking about one with Jennifer Saunders last Friday, good sales unless one bad review and the show closes down as sales stop.

This is a cruise ship DCL will sort it out but everyone should rely on one persons opinions when many others report positive comments in a level headed way.

What bothers me the most is that the Magic is being priced as a new ship. Her rates are higher then the Dream for the shorter cruises and higher than the Fantasy (excluding the inside staterooms due to no virtual porthole on the Magic). Even though the work has not been completed, this is hardly a new ship and her pricing should come down. JMO.

What bothers me the most is that the Magic is being priced as a new ship. Her rates are higher then the Dream for the shorter cruises and higher than the Fantasy (excluding the inside staterooms due to no virtual porthole on the Magic). Even though the work has not been completed, this is hardly a new ship and her pricing should come down. JMO.

Now that's a good comment, well made!

Again see the post above (184) from another cruiser it puts it far more into context from a level headed experienced cruiser.

People are over relying on one persons opinions on one blog, doesn't the old comment of newspapers, bad news sells, come to mind?

Why is that person you quoted considered a more level headed and experienced cruiser than others who have posted their experiences? :confused:

Are you not reading the posts of others? Reports are coming from more than just Scott and his blog.

Why is that person you quoted considered a more level headed and experienced cruiser than others who have posted their experiences? :confused:

Are you not reading the posts of others? Reports are coming from more than just Scott and his blog.

I think I have read about ten favourable and about four that are mixed or have some issues, Scott's is at the most negative end of what I have seen.

I like others must go with people I trust and know, I have cut and pasted a friends comments here and also another forum members response. They both are experienced magic cruisers and as said very level headed.

I find it astonishing that their comments are completely ignored whilst I have read and had empathy for people posting here who report issues, in fact you can see I read one and directly asked my friends for there responses to that post, did they agree or not, so very clear I read it and went to verify it as best I could.

I have had an open mind, but it seems others are happy to use just one source.

I think I have read about ten favourable and about four that are mixed or have some issues, Scott's is at the most negative end of what I have seen.

I like others must go with people I trust and know, I have cut and pasted a friends comments here and also another forum members response. They both are experienced magic cruisers and as said very level headed.

I find it astonishing that their comments are completely ignored whilst I have read and had empathy for people posting here who report issues, in fact you can see I read one and directly asked my friends for there responses to that post, did they agree or not, so very clear I read it and went to verify it as best I could.

I have had an open mind, but it seems others are happy to use just one source.

Who is using just one source? Comments are not being ignored, but there reports are not any more valid than the reports of other just because they are more agreeable to you. I posted that I read personal accounts from friends and they are no less experienced and level headed than your friends.

Bottom line is that we were not on that ship so we can only form our opinions from the reports from various friends, message boards and blogs. Our minds are not any less open than yours. I also find it quite insulting that you seem to believe others only use one source to form their opinions. Like you, we can all google.

Edited by hencoll

I don't understand all of "gloom & doom" over the condition of the Disney Magic. After my cruise this weekend, I'd say that while not everything was perfect, I feel that we received what we paid for and even more. This 2 night cruise was not cheap for my family of 4, but our room, the new amenities and Disney service was definitely on par with all of my previous experiences. I'd say they are 90% ready for prime time.

Having experienced it first hand, there are people that are exaggerating the issues for some reason. Sure, some rooms had issues, but mine was mostly excellent and while there were areas that needed cleaning, I also noticed that many of them were cleaned by the end of the cruise.

I'd go back again any time!

I leave on the nov.10 sailing and while I appreciate all the comments negative and positive. I will form my opinion then. Sure if I was one of the cruisers whose toilet didn't work or my room was quite dirty I would be upset. Would it last long if it was fixed by maintenance no. Each persons cruise experience is going to be different. I will share what I thought when we get back. It will be interesting what happens in two weeks and see what issues have been resolved.

I have said time and time again I respect all views but people should google all as there are a lot of good reports out there and one negative review getting too much disproportional airtime is working upcoming Magic cruisers too much?

I think I'm finally starting to get it. It seems that you have something against this blogger, so if this person says something bad, then it mustn't be true. And then you seem to also be the one who keeps coming back to that one blogger. I'm reading some concerning things from a variety of people. Not just the blogger.

Good post.

Honestly, I'm not at all worried about sailing the Magic. I know we'll have a blast. I've been on her and I love her. But I am concerned that a lot of folks had some major issues that weren't all handled in ten minutes, like your friend's toilet problem was. I think it seems that DCL didn't get all the rooms in the shape they should be in.

Also, I read that blog that you take such issue with. It was more than a little dust. That room they were in was atrocious. It was far worse than a little dust.

I think I'm finally starting to get it. It seems that you have something against this blogger, so if this person says something bad, then it mustn't be true. And then you seem to also be the one who keeps coming back to that one blogger. I'm reading some concerning things from a variety of people. Not just the blogger.

Good post.

Honestly, I'm not at all worried about sailing the Magic. I know we'll have a blast. I've been on her and I love her. But I am concerned that a lot of folks had some major issues that weren't all handled in ten minutes, like your friend's toilet problem was. I think it seems that DCL didn't get all the rooms in the shape they should be in.

Also, I read that blog that you take such issue with. It was more than a little dust. That room they were in was atrocious. It was far worse than a little dust.

Ok I must say I am now getting rather fed up on this bash which is getting personal on me.

I DO NOT HSVE ANYTHING PERSONAL AGAINST THST BLOGGER!

I have said before here they have mis posted a couple of things before but are a good source.

So what have I done here?

Respected everyone's comments, sent negative posts here to friends who were on the ship and respected TAs got their answers and cut and pasted their answers which clearly put it all into context without the dramatisation on THST blog and by his wife and posted clear evidence that counters these comments and my evidence is ignored as only one place is trusted and they must be correct on everything!

I wanted to put future magic worries at rest.

Where major pluming issues were quoted by others, I am told its action by a cruiser putting something in there THST they shouldn't and fixed in ten minutes a completely different context yo some sensational reporting.

I read the posts here referred them to friends and got their replies but that's not good enough for a few and they come back with personal attacks!,

I leave on the nov.10 sailing and while I appreciate all the comments negative and positive. I will form my opinion then. Sure if I was one of the cruisers whose toilet didn't work or my room was quite dirty I would be upset. Would it last long if it was fixed by maintenance no. Each persons cruise experience is going to be different. I will share what I thought when we get back. It will be interesting what happens in two weeks and see what issues have been resolved.

Agree!

I don't understand all of "gloom & doom" over the condition of the Disney Magic. After my cruise this weekend, I'd say that while not everything was perfect, I feel that we received what we paid for and even more. This 2 night cruise was not cheap for my family of 4, but our room, the new amenities and Disney service was definitely on par with all of my previous experiences. I'd say they are 90% ready for prime time.

Having experienced it first hand, there are people that are exaggerating the issues for some reason. Sure, some rooms had issues, but mine was mostly excellent and while there were areas that needed cleaning, I also noticed that many of them were cleaned by the end of the cruise.

I'd go back again any time!

Agree and thank you, but it seems that a few here only trust one source of information and not common sense posts like this!