3M Command Hooks & Over Door Shoe Bag

jasm8449

Has anyone used 3M Command Hooks on the cabin walls and can confirm they do not cause damage?

Any experience if the bathroom door still closes if I hang an over-the-door shoe organizer bag on the back of the door with those flat hooks it comes with?

Has anyone used 3M Command Hooks on the cabin walls and can confirm they do not cause damage?

Any experience if the bathroom door still closes if I hang an over-the-door shoe organizer bag on the back of the door with those flat hooks it comes with?

I use the 3M hooks many times on a cruise and never had them damage the walls on a ship.

Bel

We use the shoe bag over the bathroom door and hang it on the inside. The door will close. It's great to hold lots of things and keeps the counters clear.

I have 5 neodymium magnets with hooks, they hold up 25 pounds each, & take up almost no room or weight in luggage, best thing I've ever bought for a cruise, our hanging toiletry bags go on them, both of our cross body bags, anything else that we need to grab on the way out of the cabin.

Another great storage container for "S" class ships shelves over the beds are the storage boxes from Target that fold flat. When opened they exactly fit the shelves-I think 3 or 4 on each side. You can fill them with underwear, socks, pajamas, swim suits, etc. Keeps everything neat, holds a lot of stuff and easy to pull out the box you need. I also use the smaller one on the bedside table, which keeps things from rolling around and is neat. They don't weigh much and take up very little space in your luggage. I also like the over the door hooks for the bathroom door. Hang it on the outside and it is a great place to hang robes, etc.

Summit is an M (Millennium) class and has considerably more storage. I take the cubes on S-class, but no M class. I just did a 15 day cruise on the Millennium and there wasn't really even any place to use the cubes, and they weren't needed. And I'm a chronic overpacker.

I have 5 neodymium magnets with hooks, they hold up 25 pounds each, & take up almost no room or weight in luggage, best thing I've ever bought for a cruise, our hanging toiletry bags go on them, both of our cross body bags, anything else that we need to grab on the way out of the cabin.

Where did you get the magnets?

We always bring a couple of bungee cords and suction cup hooks on cruises. Bungee is great to hold the balcony door open or to use to hang items on the balcony to dry in the sea air. We also use them to strap items to a lounge chair when we leave to go to lunch, etc. Suction cup hooks will also hold wet bathing suits outside on window to dry.

Used magnets on our last cruise. Some were shaped like tacks which were great to hold papers. We also took hooks for hanging things and clips for holding other papers. Greta idea! Got ours from wal-mart and a local hardware store.

We have found the storage in the bathroom was more than enough for the 2 of us, so never needed the over-the-door things.

If you use the Command Hooks on solid surfaces such as the bathroom door, the stateroom door, the mirror, or the closet door, you should have no damage. If you use them on the walls, you might risk damage.

We take 4 suction cup hooks from Bed, Bath & Beyond: one to put on back of cabin door, one on mirror (my husband hangs up his ties), and two (my pool wear, nightgown, etc.) on closet door. Off topic a little, I also take peel & stick "Magic Squares" poster hangers cut in half to use to hang up the Captain's Club notice, a calendar I've done for the cruise, and any other info that we want at our fingertips - and a map of where we will be when we have one.

I've used some little hangers that are part waxy and part plastic. They are reusable but small so I usually just throw them out. I got them from Staples. They don't bear much weight though. I use them on the back of the door to hang our sea pass holders or my mini bag that I use in the evening to hold my sea pass, some cash, pills, and a lipstick. When your sea pass is visible on the door it is less likely that you will leave without it.

I didn't realize the walls were magnetic. I'll have to consider magnets since they are reusable where the Magic Squares really aren't. They are removable but not reusable. I would have loved the boxes for over the bed on the S-class cabin but I was at the weight limit and had to give some of my stuff to my husband as it was. Stacks of tee-shirts, etc. worked fine, and the packing "cubes" I use in my suitcase can just be stacked up there as well. If you have room in your suitcase and can stay under the weight allowance or are driving to the port, the boxes would help keep the cabinet tidy. I admit it got jumbled as the 2-week cruise went on.

I agree with Allis154 about the bathroom storage on the S-class - there is ample room. So much we didn't even use it all.

Beth

Edited by bbappel

We bring 3m command hooks and the over-the-door holder on every cruise and love both of them! We put the hooks right on the wall, following the directions exactly, and have never had a problem! The shoe holder fits on the inside of the bathroom door.

We always bring a couple of bungee cords and suction cup hooks on cruises. Bungee is great to hold the balcony door open or to use to hang items on the balcony to dry in the sea air. We also use them to strap items to a lounge chair when we leave to go to lunch, etc. Suction cup hooks will also hold wet bathing suits outside on window to dry.

I truly hope you are kidding about using Bungee Cords to hold the balcony door open. I am sure you are aware this messes up the air conditioning for the cabins on either side of you and is considered a no no.

Is the Summit an S class ship? I am interested in your target suggestion. These are the different color fabric squares that are used in entertainment cabinets - or are you talking smaller ones?

thanks for the tip.

I was just on the summit and we hung our shoe organizer over the closet door where the safe was. No issues.

I had alway heard everyone raving about the over door shoe thingy and never did bring one until our last cruise. LOVED IT. It was better than leaving items in drawers or on the counter. If you have the clear pockets you can locate what you are looking for.

Bringing an over the door shoe bag was the best hint I ever got from this site. We didn't use it only for bathroom items but also phones,camera, sunscreen, costume jewelry,etc. As suggested, be sure to get the clear pockets so you can see what's where.

• 2 years later...

I've used magnet clips for a long time. Just put them on the wall & all paper goes there. I have several of the really strong magnet hooks for hats, rain jacket, camera bag. Also used a mesh bag last trip on one of the hooks with sunscreen, etc. works great. Packing cubes for me, I just put the cube on the shelf (no need to unpack) of the Sclass ships

Edited by awhfy