Aqua class Worth the extra

chester32

Hi wondering if someone could tell me if staying in Aqua class is worth paying an extra $500.00 pp above a C3 cabin .

Have never cruised with celebrity before only on RCI but we are looking at a 17 night cruise on Solstice next year

Thanks

Hi wondering if someone could tell me if staying in Aqua class is worth paying an extra $500.00 pp above a C3 cabin .

Have never cruised with celebrity before only on RCI but we are looking at a 17 night cruise on Solstice next year

Thanks

Hi Chester,

Interesting question. In full disclosure, I've never sailed in Aqua Class, though I have dined in BLU once, on the Solstice Inaugural sailing. In case you are not familar with BLU, it's the Main Dining Venue for Aqua Class guests. We thought the cuisine was absolutely wonderful. While Aqua Class has many nice amenities, most folks appear to love Aqua Class mainly for BLU. On a 17 night sailing, you are looking at $29.41 per person per day, so that's the monetary breakdown.

If you would like to learn more about Aqua Class, here's a link to Celebrity's website : http://www.celebritycruises.com/explore/ships/detail.do?shipCode=SL#staterooms/explore/ships/stateroomDetails.do%3FcabinType=AQ&cabincls=B&shipCode=SL

Here's a link with details about BLU : http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/level3Type1.do?pagename=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes_blu&parentpage=onboard_celebrity_restaurants_cafes

Would I do it ? Yes, but I suspect you will get varied opinions. If you book, have a wonderful time on Solstice. She's a fantastic ship ! I hope this helps.

$500 is not insignificant, but as Andy points out, that's less than $30 a day to enjoy breakfast and dinner in Blu. For that many days, I would go Aqua Class.

We were in Aqua for the 14-day Eclipse Baltic cruise this summer and it was worth every penny to us. The food is very good, lighter than the MDR. For us, the quieter, more sophisticated atmosphere in Blu is a very large part of the appeal. If you tend to dine at the same time every night, you can get the same waiters and table, even, and enjoy their service and attention.

If that is a comfortable price for you, I would say go for it, but if you want the livelier and noisier atmosphere in the main dining room, you will enjoy that as well.

Either way, you are sure to enjoy your cruise!

$500 is not insignificant, but as Andy points out, that's less than $30 a day to enjoy breakfast and dinner in Blu. For that many days, I would go Aqua Class.

We were in Aqua for the 14-day Eclipse Baltic cruise this summer and it was worth every penny to us. The food is very good, lighter than the MDR. For us, the quieter, more sophisticated atmosphere in Blu is a very large part of the appeal. If you tend to dine at the same time every night, you can get the same waiters and table, even, and enjoy their service and attention.

If that is a comfortable price for you, I would say go for it, but if you want the livelier and noisier atmosphere in the main dining room, you will enjoy that as well.

Either way, you are sure to enjoy your cruise!

And to go a little off topic, how much extra did you pay for a Concierge cabin on the Solstice in which the concierge perks are pretty much smoke and mirrors. Better off with a plain veranda cabin.

I would however check frequently to check the prices of the AQ cabins, they do sometimes come down and can be the same as the Concierge cabins.

Thanks

Given the price of the upgrade, I would think twice about Aqua. Not because it's not lovely (I'm sure it is - in fact, we're sailing AQ on our next cruise), but because the main perk is Blu, an upgraded restaurant. For that same $29 a day, you could purchase the Ultimate Dining Package, which allows you to eat every meal in a specialty restaurant. Either way, you're getting a substantially upgraded dining experience - you just need to decide whether you prefer Blu or the specialty restaurants.

Thanks

Hi

We returned from Solstice, 2 weeks ago, having booked for the first time the Aqua class, we really enjoyed the Blu: the food (taste and presentation), the personalized attentions from the wait staff, the quiet room, etc.

The first day we came back, we changed the booking of our next cruise from a large A1 balcony to Aqua, paid $200 pp more for a 7 day cruise. For us it is worth it.

I would hold off, on my cruise which is 15 days, Aqua class had ranged from a little more than CC to a bit less, we were able to upgrade to a GTY suite for the same 1500.00.

The best deals were just after final payment

Look at how many specialty dinners you could have with 1000.00!

Our biggest objection to Blu, and many people do not agree with me, is that one of the joys of cruising for us is dining at a large table with new friends. DH and I eat at home alone most nights and we really look forward to dinnertime. In Blu, it was just the two of us, and although some people have said that with the tables so close together you CAN chat, that didn't really happen and most people seemed to prefer their solitude. The food and service were fine, it just missed an important part of cruising for us. And even if you make new friends onboard, you can't invite them to join you unless they are AQ too.

Other than Blu, the amenities are not worth a lot to us--we really prefer the standard balcony cabins (and their price!) Just an alternate POV

Another one of those tough questions that everyone answers differently, like how much is a balcony, or a suite, worth to you per day.

I read all the threads debating the value of Blu, and I usually end up surprised at how weak the enthusiasm is for it.

For my upcoming cruise I had every intention of upgrading to AQ. I have enjoyed it before. With suites sold out it made sense to set my sights on that again.

I watched the inventory and a AQ guarantee was much less than what I paid and I spent a day thinking about it as there were more than twenty cabins left including every hump room. And I wanted one of those.

By the afternoon they were all gone. New bookings came in probably with the guarantee low price and that was that.

Now there are two available that came back in inventory, but they are now 900 to downgrade to. I say that tongue in check as my current category SV is selling above that rate.

My advice is if you want one and they begin selling an AQ guarantee do not wait.

Aqua free water is nice and I like the tea. The relaxation room is serene.

As stated above, the main attraction for AQ guests is dining in Blu. Here is a link to 10 days of Blu menus, it will give you an idea about the food which is different from the MDR, planned to be healthier.

http://eclipse2011ta.webs.com/blumenus.htm

We enjoyed our trip on Eclipse in AQ, the experience in Blu is more intimate, the service is more attentive, and the food had more of a fresh-cooked feel. Of course, how much this is worth is up to each individual cruiser. And I have to say, some posters have written in to say that they didn't like Blu at all, so it's not for everyone.

Thanks for the replies

What I make of it is the only extra with Aqua class is Blu

But I must apologize for my original post I got the prices mixed up with a different cruise

The correct price is for a C3 cabin is $4788.00 AU and the Aqua is $6300.00 au overall difference $1512.00 so I think I will stay with the C3 cabin

Thanks again for your replies

Hi wondering if someone could tell me if staying in Aqua class is worth paying an extra $500.00 pp above a C3 cabin
Tough question to answer for someone else.

As you can see, to some it would be worth it and to others it would not.

I would ask myself what I will do with the extra $1000 if I don't spend it on Aqua Class and see which option is more appealing.

As dkjretired suggests, keep watching prices because sometimes the prices for Aqua Class drop below Concierge prices, and occasionally even below the price of a regular balcony cabin.

Also keep a lookout for any special category discount for which you may be eligible (i.e., senior, resident, military, police, etc.) as those come and go, sometimes very quickly.

The only problem with the discount categories is that taking one may mean giving up some other special offer.

For example, some recently lost their pick your perk bonus when switching to a senior discount price.

Given the price of the upgrade, I would think twice about Aqua. Not because it's not lovely (I'm sure it is - in fact, we're sailing AQ on our next cruise), but because the main perk is Blu, an upgraded restaurant. For that same $29 a day, you could purchase the Ultimate Dining Package, which allows you to eat every meal in a specialty restaurant. Either way, you're getting a substantially upgraded dining experience - you just need to decide whether you prefer Blu or the specialty restaurants.

We came to the same conclusion for us, on a future Mediterranean cruise on the Silhouette. We have cruised Aqua Class and CC class in the past. We are elite, so don't need extra cruise points either. Since the cabins are all basically the same, we decided to book a 1B ocean view and use the dollars saved to eat at special restrauants at will during the cruise. We actually enjoy the Lido buffet since it has a good variety and doing a late lunch after returning from port over the MDR on this class of ship.

we would not cruise regular S class ships without AQ & BLU-- we find MDR is crowded & a bit tight for seating for our taste....service and flexibilty at BLU is wonderful!

we are also planning fewer cruises at this point so the extra charge is worth it for what we enjoy!

But it is nice to have choices so everyone can be happy and comfy!

It all depends on your perceived value and what experience, perks, convienance and pleasures you want in a cruise.

Many are happy with a inside cabin and can't justify paying any more than they have to and can take more cruises for what those pay for a suite and the value butler.

I feel AQ is worth about $25/ day pp over a balcony on the S class, and that is stretching it for me. If I have the drink pack it is not worth as much. Plus you can get the ultimate dining pack for $29/ day pp. We all have our own opinions on values.

As others wrote they are many choices and options to satisfy everyone.

Our first cruise with Celebrity was in an Aqua class stateroom, and now he won't book anything less. I enjoyed the different cuisines in Blu, he is more of a picky eater and stuck to the New York Strip EVERY SINGLE NIGHT. Our room was right outside of the Relaxation Room so it was very quiet. IMO, I think it's worth it!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

There are also differences between Blu on different ships. There is one S-class ship I would really be hesitant to book Blu again. On that one, I will probably dine in the MDR.

Aqua Class does offer some nice amenities. Some work for some passengers. I like the water, the tower shower, and Persian Gardens. But for many, the cost is a driving factor.

Archived