When is a dress code not a dress code? On Silversea!

cruiseerf

Taking pictures of people while they are in public areas is not typically an invasion of privacy. If it were, the paparazzi would be out of business.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Again, we don't know the facts on what caused this. :)

Keith

First of all my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. Perhaps I should have used an emoticon. Second, I can't tell you how many times people have taken photos that put me in the picture without asking and I never felt my privacy invaded. And thirdly, this might move SS to actually put their money where their mouth is and either so something about the divergence in dress code requirements or live with the consequences.

First of all my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek. Perhaps I should have used an emoticon. Second, I can't tell you how many times people have taken photos that put me in the picture without asking and I never felt my privacy invaded. And thirdly, this might move SS to actually put their money where their mouth is and either so something about the divergence in dress code requirements or live with the consequences.

They take photographs of me as well .... I normally get a blackmail note shortly afterwards ....:D

SS have put their money where their mouth is. They are harvesting healthy ambiguity and as a result satisfying most of the people most of the time rather than a small vocal minority all of the time. :p

Henry, you are right.

A photos is worth a thousand words.

If one wants to make a point, a photo is very effective.

It bring home the point.

And sometimes that is necessary as in this case.

Keith

Mark K-re post 49. You are so right.

How does one bring these egregious groups into the main stream.

They think their numbers protect them, but in fact they are out of control.

Size should never allow privilege, but you can't tell these incentive groups to cool it.

Hopefully this will end soon!

Size should never allow privilege, but you can't tell these incentive groups to cool it.

Hopefully this will end soon!

YOU are dreaming. How 'bout some simple math exaggerated in your favor? In your mind (not picking on newlondon), you are a loyal SS customer sailing 50 days per year and paying $2000 per day. Kevin pays $600 per suite for a seven day cruise.....one hundred of them. No matter how you slice it, group sales will beat individual bookings from the company's perspective. What you have going for you, if you're the guy doing 50 days @ $2000/day, is the ability to wrangle a decent discount on your next booking. No emotions involved. The person doing one cruise a year with all the extras involved. That is a person I feel badly about having to live through this experience. On the bright side, it does not happen frequently.

Taking pictures of people while they are in public areas is not typically an invasion of privacy. If it were, the paparazzi would be out of business.

The paparazzi are taking photos of public figures, not ordinary citizens. There is a huge legal difference.

Maliciously photographing cruisers and publishing their pictures—exposing them to ridicule—simply because you do not approve of their attire is not only mean but very unwise.

Hi Oregon50, Notice I used the word "hopefully". I will say again, however, that despite the financial rewards to the cruise line; waiving their standards is not a good business practice.

It gives a false impression to the members of the large group and it alienates their regular customers.

hi oregon50, notice i used the word "hopefully". I will say again, however, that despite the financial rewards to the cruise line; waiving their standards is not a good business practice.

It gives a false impression to the members of the large group and it alienates their regular customers.

amen to that!

I often wonder about the nicknames. So nice to see another kitty lover :D

Cheers

Jennifer

Jennifer I love your photo -- looks so much like my Dusababy. She was not pure Siamese, didn't have that awful voice, but instead after I taught her to speak properly she was quite a lovely lady. Her mother was purebred but fell in love with a little black traveling man who disappeared soon after having his way with her. The result was twins - we adopted them both - Dusababy and her little tuxedo clad brother Milan - another handsome devil we made sure would never follow in his daddy's footsteps, taking advantage of poor innocent girls. And he was quite content after recovering from the first shocking humiliation. Two precious family members who will never be forgotten.

Jennifer I love your photo -- looks so much like my Dusababy. She was not pure Siamese, didn't have that awful voice, but instead after I taught her to speak properly she was quite a lovely lady. Her mother was purebred but fell in love with a little black traveling man who disappeared soon after having his way with her. The result was twins - we adopted them both - Dusababy and her little tuxedo clad brother Milan - another handsome devil we made sure would never follow in his daddy's footsteps, taking advantage of poor innocent girls. And he was quite content after recovering from the first shocking humiliation. Two precious family members who will never be forgotten.

I loved your little story, dusababy. My princess, Phoebe, is a Ragdoll but she channels Siamese because she is the biggest talker ever...she is such a delight.:)

Cheers

Jennifer

• 2 weeks later...
To a certain extent this has already happened with the Cloud for next year, just look at the number of charters during March, April and May.

Is there a place that lists these charters? I would chose sailings to try and avoid.

( I think I may have found them on the SS site)... Are they the 3 and 4 day charters? Are there more? Looking for the 2014 charters....

Edited by kimanjo

• 2 weeks later...
First off, let me be clear that I don't like dress codes. I think if people want to dress up, than they should be able to and look beautiful and if not....so be it.

Seabourn and Regent Country club casual is starting to look good.....

Safe travels to all!

Getting back to the original thoughts.

If only everyone had your attitude and contrary to the small vocal group on here I think most do have that attitude.

I sailed early this year on Spirit which did have a group of car sales folks and I never once felt they were being given any sort of preferential treatment. Quite the contrary to be fair, I felt the staff tended to look after myself and my partner a lot more attentively than the group members.

The only night it didn't work for me was the BBQ night which seemed to me a bit of a Carnival Line set up. I'm not into queuing for off cuts that are cold by the time you sit down.

As to the dreaded dress code, not one single person mentioned it and I personally did not wear a jacket or tie on any night although I never ate in the restaurants choosing every night to dine Hot Rocks under the stars.

Plenty of people did dress each night and looked fantastic.

I visited all the bars and the Gambling den and not a single person be they cruiser or staff ever mentioned dress codes.

Anyways we set sail this Friday and I am bringing my step daughter [26] and her partner [32] who are dressing up every night and bouncing off the walls with excitement.

When you're that age and that fit it's great to look like James Bond and his latest squeeze, I on the other hand have the physique of Danny DeVito and will as per my last cruise be casual every night everywhere. Worse still I've persuaded 2 good friends to come along as well who are Geordies and like to enjoy life. The least said about my partner the better, she had a job as a cleaner when I first met her so you can just imagine.

Thinking about it, does that make us a mini group and mean I can wander around in my vest and slippers with my hankie head cover on all day long?

There should be a lot more love and peace in the world and less dogma.

Feel the love people xxx :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

It would seem that Silversea does not regard loyalty and repeat business from returning customers as a priority. The majority of corporate group guests are unlikely to use such a luxury line again if they have to pay their own fare. Independent guests who have had the misfortune to experience the impact of some of these groups will not wish to put themselves in such a position again. So what is Silversea’s target market? Have they decided that corporate events are the most lucrative? Do they discount heavily to attract this business? Are independent passengers going to find themselves in the minority? Is Silversea going to be my preferred luxury cruise line? ……… Just wondering………….

It would seem that Silversea does not regard loyalty and repeat business from returning customers as a priority. The majority of corporate group guests are unlikely to use such a luxury line again if they have to pay their own fare. Independent guests who have had the misfortune to experience the impact of some of these groups will not wish to put themselves in such a position again. So what is Silversea’s target market? Have they decided that corporate events are the most lucrative? Do they discount heavily to attract this business? Are independent passengers going to find themselves in the minority? Is Silversea going to be my preferred luxury cruise line? ……… Just wondering………….

Well after my last cruise one thing is certain, they wont be my preferred choice.

Seabourne here I come.

Aurevoir mes amis x

Edited by beepee1967