RCL Lounge vs. Captain' Club Lounge

berylde

We have been very impressed with the Diamond Club Lounges on RCL. Service and staff usually outstanding.

Have not been to a Captain Club Lounge yet

We will be on the Constellation in March. How do the Lounges compare? Celebrity as nice as RCL?

We have been very impressed with the Diamond Club Lounges on RCL. Service and staff usually outstanding.

We will be on the Constellation in March. How do the Lounges compare? Celebrity as nice as RCL?

Celebrity does not at this time have a dedicated Elite Lounge.

However, the evening cocktails for Elites is, in my limited experience, better than either D or CL on RC.

The Elite event has a more extensive drink menu, snacks served by waiters instead of self service, and better participation by officers, very nice.

Also, the Elite breakfast has specialty coffees, smoothies, bloody marys, mimosas.

Where the Elite event is better is....it is held in a larger room (Michaels) so it is more comfortable, and not nearly as crowded. But unfortunately, it is not a dedicated lounge like on RCI, so you can't just pop in anytime for a free cappuccino. Also, there are a couple nights the event is not held on Celebrity. I believe they are the first night and the night of the Captains reception.

Where the Elite event is better is....it is held in a larger room (Michaels) so it is more comfortable, and not nearly as crowded. But unfortunately, it is not a dedicated lounge like on RCI, so you can't just pop in anytime for a free cappuccino. Also, there are a couple nights the event is not held on Celebrity. I believe they are the first night and the night of the Captains reception.

A slight correction: May be held in a number of venues. Michael's Club if the group is relatively small. Sky Lounge if crowd is larger. Vouchers used if number of Elites exceeds any single space.

A slight correction: May be held in a number of venues. Michael's Club if the group is relatively small. Sky Lounge if crowd is larger. Vouchers used if number of Elites exceeds any single space.

Thanks Orator. :). I've been pretty lucky. In my experience, it was always in

Michaels and never crowded.

Thanks for replies

Disappointed to read that Constellation does not have a dedicated Lounge. So, the evening event is held in a public bar, but where is "breakfast" served? And coffee only available a limited time?

Knowing Celebrity, I'm sure that it all works out nicely

PS:CRUISINGATOR2---Agree with you about the Oasis Lounge

The Oasis class has the best set up IMHO. Hot breakfast and lunch served with beer and wine. Add to that two levels with a beautiful view overlooking the Boardwalk and Aqua Theater.

You are describing the lounge for Diamond+ and suites, not the Diamond lounge.

The other difference is that X has shorter hours.

Thanks for replies

Disappointed to read that Constellation does not have a dedicated Lounge. So, the evening event is held in a public bar, but where is "breakfast" served? And coffee only available a limited time?

While you can only get specialty coffee during breakfast, it is better quality on X, not out of a self-serve machine like on RC.

Berylde, the breakfast is served in one of the specialty restaurants, usually, although once I a while the Sky Lounge is used for the breakfast. It's a continental breakfast, with pastries, sliced meat, cheese, fruit, yogurt, fresh squeezed juice, espresso based coffees, mimosas, Bloody Mary's. it lasts about two hours each morning.

Thanks for replies

Celebrity does not have a dedicated lounge fleetwide.....

Thanks for replies

I don't want you to get the wrong impression.

The ship selects a venue for morning and evening "events" based on the number of Elites present on a given voyage. At the time an event is held, the venue is not public, it is restricted to the event, identical to the way that RC will take over a venue as an "overflow lounge".

The only time you would miss it not being a dedicated lounge is if you are a big user of the lounge coffee machine on RC, or make a lot of requests to the Conceirge. During the "events", everything runs smoothly in the temporary lounges.

We just got home from Silhouette last week, our first cruise as Diamond-reciprocity Elites on X, and were very disappointed that the Elite HH simply didn't match up with the DL experience. As others have mentioned, no dedicated lounge (they'll reserve a public lounge for the event, Sky Bar on my sailing), more restrictive drink menu, no all day specialty coffee machine availability, fewer and less impressive snacks, and my biggest complaint, HH ending at 7pm.

Just my $.02... well, $.04 since DW felt the same way.

Edited by Dave85

We just got home from Silhouette last week, our first cruise as Diamond-reciprocity Elites on X, and were very disappointed that the Elite HH simply didn't match up with the DL experience. As others have mentioned, no dedicated lounge (they'll reserve a public lounge for the event, Sky Bar on my sailing), more restrictive drink menu, no all day specialty coffee machine availability, fewer and less impressive snacks, and my biggest complaint, HH ending at 7pm.

Add another $0.04 to that - we feel exactly the same, for all the reasons you quoted. I would also add that we may have wished to visit at the end of the day on the way from a tour/the pool deck, but the dress code prevents that. As late diners we really can't be bothered to go back to the cabin and change so early just to get a few free drinks.

Yes you are right. RCL does do it better. If Celebrity is giving out vouchers you don't get any cold or hot appetizers. On Celebrity servers bring around the appetizers if it is held in Sky or Michaels Lounge. On RCL you have to get your own appetizers. On RCL at times you have to stand in line to get your drinks from the bar. Where Celebrity brings your drink to you. Our last cruise our drinks were taken by another couple. We have only used the Diamond Lounge once. It was a great experience. The all day specialty coffee machine was great. The RCL ships that don't have a dedicated lounge don't have as many amenities. Richard

...more restrictive drink menu...

Agreed. I was a little surprised by the comment early in this thread of a bigger drink menu on Celebrity. I think Celebrity's is much more restrictive. It's a very short menu. In fact, I don't recall ever even seeing a menu on RCI. You just order your drink of choice. They'll make whatever they can with the alcohol they have.

On RCL at times you have to stand in line to get your drinks from the bar. Where Celebrity brings your drink to you.

When was the last time you were in a RCI DL? :confused: I don't ever recall having to get my own drink. They have dedicated cocktail waiters, just like on Celebrity.

Slightly off-topic, but related...

I will be Elite, cabin mate is not. He is an early riser, I am not. Will he be able to have a light breakfast and coffee while I am getting ready for the day, or do I have to be with him?

Edited by ZoeyVictoria
Oops, typo

We have just returned from Equinox , our first Celebrity cruise! we are Diamond plus on RCL.

The elite lounge evening event was in half the Constellation bar on the top deck great views,but very cold and not at all social, people sat in small groups and did not mingle like in the RCL event. It happened between 5 and 7 pm RCL is usually from 5 until 8.30. We have never had to get our own drinks on RCL there has always been a waiter.

Michaels was reserved for special guests by invitation only.

the drinks list in the Elite evening is more restricted than the diamond plus lounge but better than the diamond .

We did not do the breakfast as it was only continental unlike RCL who have a full served menu in the diamond breakfast.

In general we found Elite benefits were not as good as Diamond on RCL.

However we have booked another Celebrity cruise in February on Equinox so that will be interesting to see if things are different on a newer and bigger ship.

Edited by Lindypops

Agreed. I was a little surprised by the comment early in this thread of a bigger drink menu on Celebrity. I think Celebrity's is much more restrictive. It's a very short menu. In fact, I don't recall ever even seeing a menu on RCI. You just order your drink of choice. They'll make whatever they can with the alcohol they have.

Not true on my last Adventure of the Seas cruise in August this year! Very limited drinks (wine and beer, possibly sodas) no canapés at all.

When was the last time you were in a RCI DL? :confused: I don't ever recall having to get my own drink. They have dedicated cocktail waiters, just like on Celebrity.

Agree on the above. Even though we prefer not use the CL we have never had to stand in line for a drink on RCI. There have always been servers to handle this.

We have not tried the evening cocktail event on X as we purchase the drink package plus those type events do nothing for me as I get tired of some trying to one up each other if you know what I mean. ;)

Edited by cruisingator2

Not true on my last Adventure of the Seas cruise in August this year! Very limited drinks (wine and beer, possibly sodas) no canapés at all.

That's different. The AOS doesn't get a DL until next year. You're confusing the DL we're talking about with the nightly Diamond event held on the few remaining ships that don't yet have a lounge. On those few ships...there is no contest. The event held on ships without a lounge doesn't hold a candle to the Elite event on Celebrity.

On RCL at times you have to stand in line to get your drinks from the bar. Where Celebrity brings your drink to you.

This has been my experience also. BUT, we tend to cruise TAs and other long cruises that tend to have large numbers using the D lounge and CL. One or both of these lounges is usually overflowed into a venue with bar. When this happens, the easiest way to get drinks is usually direct from the bar. However, on a recent Equinox TA the situation was exactly the same.

As for which line has the largest drink menu, at least X has one. On uncrowded RC cruises, they might try to accommodate almost any non-frozen cocktail. However when the lounges are crowded, we have been turned down on common drinks like bloody Mary.

We have enjoyed the hospitality of both Elite with Celebrity and Diamond with RCL. Both are very similar in many respects however we much prefer Diamond with RCL due to the lower numbers of eligible passengers, This I assume, due to the slightly higher qualification requirements. On our previous TA's with Celebrity the very high numbers of elite passengers nullified the intimacy and exclusivity of the hospitality in the RCL Diamond lounge.

Is it not long overdue that Celebrity introduce an Elite+ rating, requiring 15 or 16 points and improving the hospitality on offer for this higher level?