Saving Paper on RCCL

BaumD

On a recent Brilliance cruise, I had pre-booked dinner at Giovanni's and Chops on-line. In the past, upon arriving at our cabin on the 1st day, there was a small card confirming our on-line reservation with the day and time. Nothing there.

I went by Giovanni's to make sure they had our reservation (which they did) and I was told they no longer provide the reservation confirmation cards. It's a "Saves the Waves" issue I was told. saving paper.

If they are so intent on saving paper, how come every time you walk into your cabin there is a new piece of paper on the bed:

Jewelry sale in the shops

Bingo tonight!!

T-Shirt sale

Inches of Gold

Teeth whitening

Spa specials

Special in the Photo Gallery

Depending on the size of the ship that could be 1,000 to 3,000 pieces of paper for each flyer. If they are so intent on saving paper, maybe they could eliminate some of the "junk mail".

On a recent Brilliance cruise, I had pre-booked dinner at Giovanni's and Chops on-line. In the past, upon arriving at our cabin on the 1st day, there was a small card confirming our on-line reservation with the day and time. Nothing there.

I went by Giovanni's to make sure they had our reservation (which they did) and I was told they no longer provide the reservation confirmation cards. It's a "Saves the Waves" issue I was told. saving paper.

If they are so intent on saving paper, how come every time you walk into your cabin there is a new piece of paper on the bed:

Bingo tonight!!

T-Shirt sale

Inches of Gold

Teeth whitening

Spa specials

Depending on the size of the ship that could be 1,000 to 3,000 pieces of paper for each flyer. If they are so intent on saving paper, maybe they could eliminate some of the "junk mail".

Agree!

If they really wanted to save paper, they wouldn't print out all those photo's day in and day out that they want you to buy. Now that's a real waste of paper.

Im pretty sure that paper can be "washed" and reused :)

I wonder how many people miss their reservations because of the lack of a reminder and what they do if you don't show up? Sometimes people make reservations months in advance of the cruise. Seems like this could cost them some $$$ and/or tick off some customers if they miss their date.

Tom

Bingo tonight!!

T-Shirt sale

Inches of Gold

Teeth whitening

Spa specials

It's a "Saves the Waves" issue I was told. saving paper.

Bingo tonight!!

T-Shirt sale

Inches of Gold

Teeth whitening

Spa specials

Other than the bingo the rest are all contractor operations. Chances are RCI bills the contractor for any printing done for them. All the paper recovered on the ship is recycled.

That being said, a notification of a reservation made on line should be delivered to the cabin!!!

What riles me is that they are trying to save paper, but when you buy a next cruise cert there's a cover letter with every purchased ncc. I mentioned to the loyalty ambassador that only one cover letter would suffice. I bought 3 certs and 3 corresponding cover letters.:confused:

Guest maddycat

Bingo tonight!!

T-Shirt sale

Inches of Gold

Teeth whitening

Spa specials

I completely agree with you. Stop the sale flyers. I put all of them in the trash. They should have left a message on your phone confirming your reservations.

Bingo tonight!!

T-Shirt sale

Inches of Gold

Teeth whitening

Spa specials

BaumD, You can print your order history from the pre-cruise planner of the website and bring your own confirmation!:rolleyes:

What riles me is that they are trying to save paper, but when you buy a next cruise cert there's a cover letter with every purchased ncc. I mentioned to the loyalty ambassador that only one cover letter would suffice. I bought 3 certs and 3 corresponding cover letters.:confused:

And on some ships, there is no printout at all - it is only emailed to you. :)

Not a fan of recycling, then?

I save them all and tell my stateroom attendant to please recycle every single one they can. Hopefully they do.

At least I've done my bit.

I put them all under the bin to make it easy.

But I suspect they all go in the one bag and are then (mostly) sorted in the waste room.

Paper in the US is made using sustainable practices. Paper prices are rising and ink/toner is very expensive.

IMHO Save the Waves as somebody stated is actually Save the Green.

Below are some statistics regarding paper, sustainability and environmental impact in the U.S.

Myth: Replacing print with Web-based content reduces carbon emissions.

Fact: Reading a daily printed newspaper produces 20% less CO2 over the course of a year than reading Web-based news for 30 minutes a day.

Source: Alliance to Save Energy, PC Report 2009, Swedish Royal Institute for Technology, International Energy Agency http://www.macpapers.com/aboutus/its-ok-to-print/

Myth: The electronics industry leads the way in the use of alternative resources for power.

Fact: The electronics industry uses more than 90% fossil fuels purchased from the grid. By contrast, 78% of all power used by U.S. paper mills comes from alternative fuel sources.

Source: Alliance to Save Energy, PC Energy Report 2009, U.S. EPA

http://www.macpapers.com/aboutus/its-ok-to-print/

Trees are planted and grown specifi cally to make paper. Trees that are

cut down for paper production do not come from our favorite park or

wilderness area.

When some people hear about trees being cut for paper, they might think

of their favorite oak in the backyard, neighborhood park or wilderness

area being cut to pieces. They might think of birds, squirrels and other

creatures being robbed of their homes.

The good news is that the production and use of paper are not

causing forests to disappear.

Source:

http://www.tappi.org/paperu/all_about_paper/earth_answers/EarthAnswers_GrowTree.pdf

Will we run out of trees if we continue to cut them down for paper?

No. More trees are planted every year than are cut down. This is due in

most part to the success of managed timberlands. Whenever trees are

harvested, more trees are planted to take their place. Timberlands can be

managed to produce trees and forest products forever.

Trees are a renewable resource. As long as we manage timberland and

plant trees to replace the ones cut down, trees will continue to grow and

grow and grow.

In some ways, this process is similar to growing vegetables in a garden.

We plant the vegetables and let them grow until they are mature enough

to harvest. When harvest time comes, we collect the vegetables and eat

them. Next spring, the process begins again when we plant a new crop. As

long as we continue to plant and harvest, the process goes on and on.

More trees are destroyed by fire and insects than are cut down to make paper. And, on an average, when a tree is harvested for making paper, five more are planted in its place.

Source:

http://www.tappi.org/paperu/all_about_paper/earth_answers/EarthAnswers_GrowTree.pdf

Archived