What a Rip-off

Have just noticed from Princess website that some midship inside cabins have become available (previously all sold out) for the cruise out of Brisbane on 17th December, 2013 on Sea Princess. The only thing is that the price for these cabins have shot up by approx. $600 pp on what we paid a couple of months ago. Its nice for those people wanting this cruise that they now have the opportunity to go but to be expected to pay an additional $600 pp for 11 days is a bit stiff I reckon.:)

and that how they make money, one would they the cruise line have posted that they were all sold out so they could put price up when they re releast them. was just a thought

Have just noticed from Princess website that some midship inside cabins have become available (previously all sold out) for the cruise out of Brisbane on 17th December, 2013 on Sea Princess. The only thing is that the price for these cabins have shot up by approx. $600 pp on what we paid a couple of months ago. Its nice for those people wanting this cruise that they now have the opportunity to go but to be expected to pay an additional $600 pp for 11 days is a bit stiff I reckon.:)

its all to do with supply and demand and every cruise line does the same, after final payment if the cruise is not selling well the price could drop, do people complain then....i dont think so

I dont think any one is ripping anyone off. Its quite usual and happens all the time. When the price goes back to lead in fares or above on the website it usually means that the allocation of cabins they had ,has been sold .

If you follow the Princess web site for the price changes , they can sometimes change by the hour as demand ebbs and flows.

I am not questioning that a price rise has taken place, but I am questioning the extent of that rise - almost 50% on what the price was a month or so ago and this for an inside cabin. Only two days ago I received an email from Princess (replying to my email to them about availability of cabins for some friends) and they confirmed with me that all inside cabins had been sold and the only way they could possibly get them was to go on a waiting list. And yes I do know that it is a Christmas cruise and that it is going to the South Pacific - after all (as I said earlier) I am going on it.:)

You're right. I think someone at Princess must be playing around. Before I posted originally, the Princess website was showing that 13 midship interior cabins had become available. I checked it a few times and the same info was showing. Now I see that they have all gone again. Very strange indeed.:)

You're right. I think someone at Princess must be playing around. Before I posted originally, the Princess website was showing that 13 midship interior cabins had become available. I checked it a few times and the same info was showing. Now I see that they have all gone again. Very strange indeed.:)

I saw them. I checked it out when you first posted.

We booked our Jan 2014 Sea Princes cruise in Feb this year and have final payment due tomorrow. We have had 4 price reductions on this cruise and Princess have honoured all of them. Saved over $1119.00 per person and even increased our OBC by $50..

I have noticed at different times our cabin category have been sold out yet tonight there is some still avail.

Maybe we have been just lucky !

Cheers

Johhno

We booked our Jan 2014 Sea Princes cruise in Feb this year and have final payment due tomorrow. We have had 4 price reductions on this cruise and Princess have honoured all of them. Saved over $1119.00 per person and even increased our OBC by $50..

I have noticed at different times our cabin category have been sold out yet tonight there is some still avail.

Cheers

Johhno

Unsold Travel Agent allocated cabins now being sold by the cruise line.

Supply & demand. No matter how the price fluctuates, it never goes above the original starting price. At least Princess honour the price drops - some cruise lines don't. Also there are cruisers out there who have paid the top price and could be totally oblivious of any price drops - so roundabouts and swings, IMHO :D

Oh, and cruise lines are a business not a charity - they have to make a profit so we can all go cruising again:p

Is that true of Princess?

It's certainly not true of all lines.

We booked last September at the lead price - then the price for interior dropped - then went back up to the original price stayed there for a while - then dropped again - substantially (hence our refund) and crept up again - and all the time I have been watching - and it has been for over 12 months - not just our interior cabins - but all the others as well - I've watched the lot - non have gone over the initial lead price.

Certainly cannot say for other cruise lines - never booked this far in advance before - always "winged it" and it's worked. It's only because the itinerary suited the Christmas period (at sea Christmas day and New Years Day - when all shops everywhere are closed - wouldn't want them as a port day)we knew it would be more expensive. (I do go on a bit :eek:) Hope I answered your original question in that lot somewhere :p

I have been watching the price of our HAL trip next year, I thought our cabin was on the expensive side when we booked but the itinerary was exactly hat we were looking for so went for it. I checked the price earlier this week and the price has gone up over $1600 each, we certainly wouldn't have paid that!

Hope I answered your original question in that lot somewhere :p

Yes... :-)

The main thing is you got a good deal (when the price fell) and price that worked for you.

Been struggling with that a bit myself lately... my upcoming cruise schedule is looking a bit quieter than it used to. The hunt continues... :-)

Cheers

Johhno

Fantastic that they honoured all the price drops. Just curious - Did you book through Princess directly? In Australia? Or did you have a good TA that organised the price drops for you?

Fantastic that they honoured all the price drops. Just curious - Did you book through Princess directly? In Australia? Or did you have a good TA that organised the price drops for you?

Yes using a 'Cruise Holiday Planner' at Princess direct in North Sydney.

Gave up on our local T/A some time ago as it all became too hard for price reductions.IE there will be a cancellation charge or will have to contact the Princess rep blah blah blah.

Very happy with my contact at Princess.

Cheers

Johhno

Thanks Johnno

Sounds like going through the cruiseline direct is the best option. We have booked through agents in Aus and it is so restrictive.

if you can book with a good TA they can be cheaper than the cruise line and you get some OBC if its on offer, try and get one that honours price drops but read their terms & conditions

Interesting topic. We gave just booked & paid for the Dec 17 cruise outta Brissy. We got a balcony cabin for what I thought was a pretty good deal.

I think it's more about people being happy to pay the price on offer. Our Aunty & Uncle would now like to take the cruise with us. I have been looking for them and it's suites only eft @ $6 thou + each :eek:. They are NOT travelling at this stage with. Those prices!!

Archived