Puerto Rico based ships crew

voyager89

Hello,

Just wanted to ask about the staff on board cruises based in Puerto Rico. Do most of them speak spanish? english? both? I know a lot of languages are spoken by the crew on board any ship, but I was just curious about this specific ships, since I will be on the Jewel January 8th sailing. In my previous cruise it was hard to find a spanish speaker crew member, and while I dont have a big problem with english, sometimes I really just wanted to speak to someone in my native language.

Thanks

Hello,

Just wanted to ask about the staff on board cruises based in Puerto Rico. Do most of them speak spanish? english? both? I know a lot of languages are spoken by the crew on board any ship, but I was just curious about this specific ships, since I will be on the Jewel January 8th sailing. In my previous cruise it was hard to find a spanish speaker crew member, and while I dont have a big problem with english, sometimes I really just wanted to speak to someone in my native language.

Thanks

RCI has immersion experiences cruises out of Colon that are targeted towards Spanish speakers, and it has a wonderful itinerary.

Just off a b2b on the Jewel out of San Juan. Many of the staff were fluent in several languages including Spanish, French and English. Although everyone spoke English, there was more Spanish speaking staff than on the other cruises we've taken. Some activities were held in Spanish and in English. For example, there were 2 Love and Marriage games. At major activities hosted by the Cruise Director's staff there was always at least one leader who spoke Spanish. At Karaoke there were both Spanish and English versions of songs so you can sing in your preferred language.

So, I'm a native English speaker and American so this opinion comes from this perspective, but . . .

On our Adventure cruise this past Feb. the cruise director was bilingual. Although he started out in English, there were always "Shout outs" to the Spanish speaking guests and announcements were in Spanish, as well as English. Some other languages, too. I think you will find that Spanish is considered "the second language" on most PR based cruises. Of course, if there are more Spanish speaking guests for a certain cruise, you may hear it even more, I'm not sure.

I think you will enjoy your cruise and feel comfortable. Personally I find getting to know others from other countries/cultures one of the highlights of a cruise. The staff is from all over the world. Our waiter was from Madagascar! How cool is that?

Cheers,

Koohiichan

Actually in my experiences there are more Spanish speaking crew on the cruises out of San Juan, most notably in the MDR due to the higher number of native Spanish speakers on board.

Not so on the Adventure that sails out of San Juan. We've taken some 6 cruises on the AOS and never found skewed in favor of one nationality. However, there seems to be more Philippinos in the engineering department.

I was on the Jewel earlier this month... Most all of the Cruise Staff (Activities Director, Bingo crew, those folks) spoke English and Spanish.... And many of the Guest Service staff also spoke Spanish (as indicated by the flag on their name tag.)

The rest of the crew appeared to be the multinational mix I've seen on other ships.

Aloha,

John

Archived