HAL charges Europeans and Americans different prices for the same cruise

IslandExplorer

I learned something this weekend.

To book a specific HAL cruise in the Caribbean before Xmas, I would have to pay an extra EUR 388 simply because of where I live.

I can't book it on one of those cheap American sites at all. I can book it with a local agent, or on a local site, but then I have to pay this whopping extra amount. And all the agents are charging it. There's no local competition at all.

What makes it ironic is that I live in Holland. Pfft. So much for HAL having any vestigial connection to the Netherlands at all.

Apparently this policy of "Europeans must pay more" doesn't apply to all cruise lines.

The consumer protection laws are different in North America and Europe. Europeans have much more protection in case something goes wrong on the trip. This is an additional expense for the cruise line.

As well, it's quite common to have different rates for people in different locations. They're called residency rates. It's a marketing strategy.

Interesting marketing strategy! Ask someone where they're from and then charge them a different rate.

(It reminds me of the museum in Indonesia that outrageously had two prices: one for locals and one for foreigners. How is this any different?)

What's next? Prices based on your income?

Do they think European consumers won't realize what's happening? Are they actually trying to hide this?

Why should I (or any other European consumer) book a cruise on a HAL ship when the same experience is being offered for considerably less? Only an idiot would do that.

Your first point sounds interesting, but it's difficult to see what costs exactly a cruise line would incur because of EU legislation. And how that could amount to EUR 338 per person.

I learned something this weekend.

To book a specific HAL cruise in the Caribbean before Xmas, I would have to pay an extra EUR 388 simply because of where I live.

I can't book it on one of those cheap American sites at all. I can book it with a local agent, or on a local site, but then I have to pay this whopping extra amount. And all the agents are charging it. There's no local competition at all.

What makes it ironic is that I live in Holland. Pfft. So much for HAL having any vestigial connection to the Netherlands at all.

Apparently this policy of "Europeans must pay more" doesn't apply to all cruise lines.

Years ago the Cruise lines used to offer special rates only to Floridians.. Don't know if they still do..

What I don't understand is what stops you from booking your cruise on an American site?

Your first point sounds interesting, but it's difficult to see what costs exactly a cruise line would incur because of EU legislation. And how that could amount to EUR 338 per person.

Are you sure some of the E338 isn't based on fees/taxes the EU or your country might be placing on your purchase? Just curious. And, legislation = litigation = increased costs, although I agree not likely that much.

I highly doubt anyone is trying to hide anything. It's well known in the US that prices can vary based on state of residence, for example. Age and loyalty status (which can often predict income) also influence prices. And it is a very sophisticated, if incomprehensible, marketing strategy.

I would encourage you to take your money where you feel it is most appreciated.

Also forgot to mention, when we change dollars into Euros we often must pay an extra premium in the U.S. for the privilege..

And when we are finally in Europe or any other place in the world & exchange dollars into either Euros or local currency, there are many places throughtout the same country which charge different exchange rates..

Working for International Airlines years ago we normally had the same rates, however now things have changed..

When we book shore excursions through HAL we pay more than if we booked directly with the operator, but HAL must have millions of $$ in insurance for each shore excurions Psgr..

Often Europeans get lower rates for International travel..

That is the cost of doing business in other countries..

Betty

Choose a totally diff comp and try to get on the online sites. It should work !

It doesn't ... Rates in Europe / Australia / America are all different because in part of travel agency liability insurance and consumer protection. You cannot simply sign on and pretend you are from another country to get a cheaper rate.

I feel very sorry for you. I understand those from Australia also have to deal with this.

It's easy for us in North America to try and explain it away, but if it was happening to me, it would stink.

I think if there are valid reasons for the price differences,then there should be some transparency. They should be up front why the prices vary so much. List the higher fees and taxes if that is the case.

I think you have to have a North American address if you want to book with an agency here. Maybe you have a friend or relative's address that you can use.

Again, this really pushes the wrong buttons if it's happening to you.:(

Years ago the Cruise lines used to offer special rates only to Floridians.. Don't know if they still do..

What I don't understand is what stops you from booking your cruise on an American site?

Travel Agents in the US and Canada are prohibited in selling to potential clients that reside outside the US or Canada. Unless they can show proof of residency to Holland America, other cruise lines such as Princess, Celebrity, RCI will also not allow this and if by chance it goes through and the cruise line catches they will not pay any commission not one penny or they will recall the commission that may have been paid. The only cruise lines that allow someone who resides outside of US or Canada to purchase here is Crystal, Norwegian, Disney and Regent. Also all the River cruises will also allow.

I feel very sorry for you. I understand those from Australia also have to deal with this.

It's easy for us in North America to try and explain it away, but if it was happening to me, it would stink.

I think if there are valid reasons for the price differences,then there should be some transparency. They should be up front why the prices vary so much. List the higher fees and taxes if that is the case.

I think you have to have a North American address if you want to book with an agency here. Maybe you have a friend or relative's address that you can use.

Again, this really pushes the wrong buttons if it's happening to you.:(

This will not quite work, I know of a case that took three things to get the commission back, library card, state issued ID card and a Kohls credit card statement, this still almost would not work and they said next time there MUST be a Utility bill.

I think it is down purely to what the market will bear.

We buy hotel rooms in various parts of the world on line-no issue whatsoever. Prices are the same whether we are booking from North America, Europe, or Australia.

We buy 7 day air/hotel packages from London to places like Greece from a UK travel company. The price for this package is considerably less than we would pay in Canada AND the UK travel insurance affords us considerably more protection that what we get in Canada. So in this case we pay less, get more protection. And we did exactly the same when we booked a South African safari. Booked it direct in SA via the web and saved a considerable amount of money. On our last trip to Turkey, Expedia air fares for air travel inside Turkey were just under $800. each. We got the same flights, same days, for $200. by booking on a Turkish site-about 10 minutes after getting the Expedia/Kayak prices. We were not asked what our country of residence was. The only prerequisite was a credit card that could be processed by the agency.

Surely any insurance, protection, etc should not exceed 1, even 2 percent. Yet we have been told by Brits and Ozzies that some of the price differences can be as much as 40 percent.

I think that cruise lines that do this are simply ripping off customers. They make lots of excuses but these excuses do not hold water.

This type of pricing is common with manufactured products-particularly luxury products. But it is becoming less now that so many people have web access and on line commerce is so common.

I think people may be underestimating the cost of increased consumer protections, etc. in Europe. Moreover, a business can charge whatever it likes as long as it doesn't violate the law and people will pay it. Email HAL and ask about the price differential. Regulations do cost businesses money and Europe has lots of them. I don't appreciate Floridians or seniors or whatever paying less than I do - but that's life. If you don't like it - try to get HAL to change it or cruise on another line - it's that simple.

We met some Ozzies on a land tour and started talking about currency, pricing, etc. They, like us, were travelling for an extended period.

The gentleman told me that they will not buy cruise vacations on certain lines because of this discriminatory pricing. HAL was one that he said practiced this pricing but there were others. He told me that some cruise lines do allow him to book with US/CAN travel agents and that these are the cruise line that he uses.

This is a much different issue that the odd residents discount.

As I recall, the ABTA, the consumer protection for UK travellers, only adds about 1 or 2 percent to the bill. It seems to me that last time we booked in the UK we had the option on not paying this small amount because as non residents we were apparently not entitled to compensation even if we did pay the premium.

Consumer protection is NOT expensive. It is not travel insurance, just insurance in case the service provider goes out of business, a dispute of product description/quality, etc.

We met some Ozzies on a land tour and started talking about currency, pricing, etc. They, like us, were travelling for an extended period.

The gentleman told me that they will not buy cruise vacations on certain lines because of this discriminatory pricing. HAL was one that he said practiced this pricing but there were others. He told me that some cruise lines do allow him to book with US/CAN travel agents and that these are the cruise line that he uses.

This is a much different issue that the odd residents discount.

As I recall, the ABTA, the consumer protection for UK travellers, only adds about 1 or 2 percent to the bill. It seems to me that last time we booked in the UK we had the option on not paying this small amount because as non residents we were apparently not entitled to compensation even if we did pay the premium.

Consumer protection is NOT expensive. It is not travel insurance, just insurance in case the service provider goes out of business, a dispute of product description/quality, etc.

It's no different than senior fare discounting or resident discounting. The bottom line is - people pay different fares for the same product. The only way to express your displeasure is to complain and take your dollars elsewhere.

This is happening since a few years, more or less since HAL opened again a salesoffice in Rotterdam. That way they probably try to protect their business in Europe.

Before that we even booked direct with HAL in Seattle against the same price and terms as the americans without any problem.

Consumerprotection may be different (maybe not that much however) , but when making reservations in the USA the money goes to the cruiseline, while in Europe it goes to the travelagent. Of course there also is the risk in change in the currency .

But the deposit in Europe often is 20% (!!), which in general often will be lost when canceling before final payment. While cancelation in the USA before final payment often is free.

I know some lines still allow reservations in the USA. Yes we also are very disappointed we cannot make our reservations direct with either HAL or our US travelagent.

Why not let the passengers make the decision whether to book in Europe or in the USA.

Without any problem we can make reservations for hotels, airlines, carrentals etc. in the USA but not for some cruiselines.

Absolutely agree that they can price the way they wish.

What bothers me are the lame excuses that are used by some suppliers to explain some of these very large pricing differences.

They must think their customers are a little dense. It is insulting.

My only hope is that consumers really punish these suppliers by voting with their feet and their wallets.

I do not mind the difference in prices so much as I mind suppliers like cruise lines actively trying to prevent or bar customers from purchasing the product in a different country.

(It reminds me of the museum in Indonesia that outrageously had two prices: one for locals and one for foreigners. How is this any different?)

It's very common for museums/national parks etc to charge different rates. I was just checking National Parks in Brazil and Argentina for my upcoming cruise and both had three different rates, one for residents of the country, one for residents of other countries in South America and one for residents of other countries.

In North America, people can get discounts on health care and child care services, sometimes huge discounts or free services, based on their income.

My son's dance lessons are half the price of what I would pay for my daughter this year, because the studio decided they wanted to attract more boys this year.

Again, for my upcoming cruise, I'm paying much less of what I would if I took a different cruise line for the same itinerary. There are several other ships doing the same itinerary at the same time. For myself and the second person in the cabin, I'm paying about 1/3 of what a different cruise line would cost. For the 3rd and 4th people, I'm paying about 10% of what a different cruise line would cost. Because of the type of cabin I chose, I'm paying 20% of what a different cabin would cost on the same cruise. But, I'm paying more than some other people on my cruise because I want a window.

Maybe I'll get an upgrade to a suite for a small cost or maybe even nothing and pay thousands less than someone who booked a suite.

Some people on cruises will pay an additional $35 per person or more for dinner, when others will pay zero for the same dinner because there was a special promotion when they booked.

There are differences in pricing on cruises (as in life) due to many factors. You have to decide what is the best deal for you.

10 night cruise, $12 per night in service charges, $120 total, local tipping habits happen (including trying to get the 15% bar gratuities removed), charge $120 more to make up for it, plus the EU/Aussie consumer protection costs (providing EU/Aussie cruisers with enhanced trip issue benefits, search for norovirus) and voila, it costs $300 more than North American consumers.

Sorry, but you can't say it doesn't occur. Just look at some of the posts of service charges or cruise reviews.

I want to make clear that this policy is apparently just for HAL and a couple of other cruise lines. Not the whole industry.

Also, this higher price had nothing to do with exchange rates, taxes, fees, tips, flights, extra services, etc. I factored that all in. It was simply a higher price for the same product. I checked several sources and situations to see if it was a fluke. Nope, it was across the board. (Of course, the actual amount would vary.)

As some posters put it, it's simply the case that cruise lines and their agents in Europe are charging what they can get away with. Unlike flights and so on, there is still money to be made in booking cruises.

And they can get away with it. Europeans aren't shocked by high ticket prices because of the almost obscene level of luxury and service offered on these cruise ships. You just don't see that in Europe at all. On my last cruise they put on a magnificent all-you-can-eat luxury brunch that I believe is simply not available in Continental Europe, anywhere. Even if it were available in the Netherlands, they would have to charge at least 75 euros for it. So they can get away with charging more.

Some great posts here. Nice to see that I'm not the only one to have noticed this.

I really like HAL, but as a European I cannot really afford them anymore.

And, to be fair, there are occasionally some relative bargains to be found with European agents, even on HAL and Princess. The Med is filled with cheap cruises.

The way that it works is that the American booking company won't accept your booking for HAL.

This is how it was explained to me by a HAL rep: "Holland America Line and its agencies have invested significant effort and resources to work with agencies to develop effective sales programs focused on customers in the geographic areas. This will assure that Holland America Line competes as effectively as possible with other cruise lines and vacation alternatives. Holland America Line is concerned to ensure that the marketing and promotional activities of agencies located in particular geographic areas are not subject to 'free riding' on those investments by consumers located outside that geographic area."

I find the last line difficult to understand. If anyone cares to explain it, feel free.

Interesting marketing strategy! Ask someone where they're from and then charge them a different rate.

Do they think European consumers won't realize what's happening? Are they actually trying to hide this?

Why should I (or any other European consumer) book a cruise on a HAL ship when the same experience is being offered for considerably less? Only an idiot would do that.

Actually Europe is full of museums that charge non Europeans more.

Archived