Barcelona Beaches

cruisePAC

We're going to the Mediterranean next July and are embarking from Barcelona. We're going to stay at a hotel in Barcelona for a few days prior to embarkation on the cruise. During this time, we'd like to go to one of the beaches. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a fee to enter the beach?

2. Are there shops to purchase drinks/snacks?

3. What should I do about a beach towel?

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

We're going to the Mediterranean next July and are embarking from Barcelona. We're going to stay at a hotel in Barcelona for a few days prior to embarkation on the cruise. During this time, we'd like to go to one of the beaches. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a fee to enter the beach?

2. Are there shops to purchase drinks/snacks?

3. What should I do about a beach towel?

Thanks in advance for the advice! :)

1. There is no fee to enter the beach in Barcelona.

2. You'll find little shops and restaurants everywhere near the beach.

3. I'd say - take your towel to the beach :)

Enjoy

• 1 month later...
Just so you know if you have not been to a beach in the Med before you may see topless women...it is a norm there. Sometimes people are really surprised so this is just a heads up for you.

At Barceloneta beach I saw some fully naked (well except for sandals) men and at least one nude woman. I was surprised because from everything I had read, it was not supposed to be a "nude" beach. I was also surprised by the number of families that I saw letting their children change out of their swimsuits on the beach. I'm not talking about babies or toddlers but much older children stripping down to nothing in public.:eek: Guess it's socially acceptable there.

A couple of other things - the beach itself is very course sand - not pretty powder white. There are a number of charming small beachside bars/cafes. There is a nice walkway area that goes for quite a distance. You'll pass some interesting Gaudi sculpture. There were numerous Asian women selling beach massages. They can be pretty aggressive and may touch you without your permission. If you're not interested, politely but firmly tell them no. I got a foot massage from one at a reasonable price but then saw her giving a head/back massage and it didn't appear that she washed her hands at all in between - gross! There are much nicer beaches in the Med but Barcelona is a charming city. Enjoy your time there!

In Spain all the beaches are public and officially there are no nude beaches, you can be naked in any beach you want. However, I'd say when you get out of the beach itself and you are in a "urban" area the town rules apply (so you just can't be naked in a street for example).

Anyway social convention towards nudity is not as extreme as some americans believe. You won't see totally naked people in a familiar or busy beach, and those who are will be scrutinized by others. And even if nudist beaches have not an official distinction, people who want to be naked go to several areas, those are usually "suggested / announced" nudist areas or just very quite areas.

I think this formula is quite OK and it is very natural. You have to take into account that many European tourists enjoy nudist beaches, so it is matter of competitiveness. Since Spain it is quite a liberal land we'll have a lot of tourists who enjoy that freedom you won't encounter in other conservative tourist destinations.

European families have no issues at all, since like I said, there is a natural balance and division so that everyone enjoys those public spaces without disturbing other people.

Anyway, Barcelona is not a good example, since its beaches are very low quality.

As for topless, yes, it is very common. Naked children are also common. And when people change suits many just don't care and do it in front of everyone, that happens mainly with german people. Anyway, the polite reaction is to look elswhere and problem solved. Staring at someone changing in public would be considered very rude.

There are no Gaudi sculptures at or near the beaches of Barcelona, since they are artificial so quite recent and by Gaudi time that place was no more than a industrial waste land by the sea.

Never accept massages or stuff from selling men! Those people work for mafias and they are almost slaves. It is sad, but the more the people use their services the more money the mafias will make.

Edited by Elmartellama

You might want to consider taking the train to Sitges, which is a world-class beach town about 20 miles from Barcelona. The train station (in Sitges) is within easy walking distance of the beach and just about everything in this nice resort town. My only caution is that we do not recommend Sitges to anyone who is homophobic since this is a very popular resort city with the European gay community (they know the best places to go).

Hank

I almost spit out my coffee while reading this thread - thank goodness for CC!

We will be in Barcelona next July and I had no idea we could end up with naked or almost naked people on the beaches there! As much as my teenage son would love it, I am glad to know this and watch for it ;)

We will be in Barcelona next July and I had no idea we could end up with naked or almost naked people on the beaches there! As much as my teenage son would love it, I am glad to know this and watch for it ;)

Often it's the people who don't make good eye candy who are nude. Your son would more likely be grossed out by seeing people to whom gravity has been unkind.:o For them, it's natural. Generally speaking, it's North Americans who are the conservative ones.

Not just in Barcelona but everywhere in Europe you will see topless women and often nude sunbathers.

If it bothers you stay away from all European beaches.

We took at TA from Barcelona that left on Oct 30, 2013. We arrived on Oct 28 and took a HOHO bus around the city. One of the stops is near Barceloneta beach. The temperature was in the low 70s and the beach was jam packed. The other two days is was rainy and cool. There were no beach goers those days. We did not notice any "eye candy" as we drove by. :p

LOL, and you live on the "left" coast where many would say "no biggie." But here is the real news. The hang up with "topless" sunbathing is a North American issue. Many Europeans just do not have the "hang ups" with their bodies that we have in our country. Topless sunbathing is quite common in many places in Europe including France, Greece, Italy, etc. We had an English friend who acted like the "proper reserved English lady" (which she was) until she would go on vacation on the island of Rhodes. The she could not peel off her top fast enough when she got on the beach. Even Kate Middleton was seen (and photographed) topless while on vacation with her husband (the Prince). And it was not uncommon to see photos of Princess Caroline sunbathing topless.

Many years ago, when DW and I took our first trip to Nice, France we had quick a shock. We went up to the gorgeous rooftop pool at the Meridian Hotel and the pool boy took us to our chairs. The lady on one side of me was topless, and she was absolutely gorgeous. I had to hit myself to keep my eyes straight ahead....while DW tried very hard not to laugh.

Hank

LOL Hank! That must have been a true cultural experience.

If I had more up top I would be proud to show it off on a nude beach, ha ha.

I have to say, the idea doesn't really bother me. I would just have to make sure my kids didn't start gawking. And hey, you could get an all-over tan for once!

If you are concerned about your children seeing female breasts you may also like to consider the different attitude to women breast feeding in public in Europe (more so southern than northern Europe).

It is quite common to be in a restaurant with a family at the next table and a young mother opens her blouse and starts feeding the youngest family member.

On a recent train journey in Spain the woman opposite us spent much of the journey feeding baby.

Travelling to other countries is not just about seeing famous buildings. It is about experiencing and accepting different cultures.

Edited by RollieUK

If you are concerned about your children seeing female breasts you may also like to consider the different attitude to women breast feeding in public in Europe (more so southern than northern Europe).

It is quite common to be in a restaurant with a family at the next table and a young mother opens her blouse and starts feeding the youngest family member.

On a recent train journey in Spain the woman opposite us spent much of the journey feeding baby.

Travelling to other countries is not just about seeing famous buildings. It is about experiencing and accepting different cultures.

Amen!

That just would not happen in a restaurant, at least in Mallorca. I guess in a long train journey the mother has no other alternative, and the most important thing is the well being of the baby. Anyway, it is quite uncommon, and if it happens the mother will cover or try to be discreet if she can.

That just would not happen in a restaurant, at least in Mallorca. I guess in a long train journey the mother has no other alternative, and the most important thing is the well being of the baby. Anyway, it is quite uncommon, and if it happens the mother will cover or try to be discreet if she can.

Maybe Mallorca is different but it certainly happens frequently on the mainland. My experiences are in southern mainland where I lived for many years.

I am talking about the kind of restaurant where the whole family would go for Sunday lunch - perhaps not in a high end restaurant.

• 3 weeks later...

We stayed in Poblenou prior to our cruise last year and the beaches there were less busy. Just watch though as the beach on the left is nudest whereas the beach on the right (looking to the sea) was fine. There was also a beach cafe/restaurant & toilets right at this beach.

I frequently visit my Spanish friends in Seville and you do sometimes see women breastfeeding their babies in restaurants, but as already said, they do it discreetly. Surely it is something natural.

As for nude sunbathing, it is not normal to see people totally naked on urban beaches, but topless is normal everywhere in Europe. It makes me laugh as I can remember the Franco era in Spain when even bikinis were frowned upon.

I really don't see any problem with women going topless if they wish do so. What's the big deal.

Maybe Mallorca is different but it certainly happens frequently on the mainland. My experiences are in southern mainland where I lived for many years.

I am talking about the kind of restaurant where the whole family would go for Sunday lunch - perhaps not in a high end restaurant.

I don' t doubt the truth of your post RollieUK but perhaps this is a regional thing as we have lived in Southern Spain for the last 12 years, and in Mallorca for 11 years before that, and have never seen anyone breast feeding in a restaurant (or if we have missed someone doing this they must have been extremely discrete). Did see one Mum feeding in a shopping mall recently but sadly she felt obliged to apologise to everyone who passed! I should add that I was a Midwife for 20 years and am totally pro-breast feeding.

Topless bathing is the norm on all beaches - although mainly with northern European visitors rather than Spanish nationals - but in most areas nude bathing is strictly limited to designated (usually secluded) beaches.

Edited by campolady

Often it's the people who don't make good eye candy who are nude. Your son would more likely be grossed out by seeing people to whom gravity has been unkind.:o For them, it's natural. Generally speaking, it's North Americans who are the conservative ones.

This video, a beer commercial in the USA, says it best: