Cabin temperature affect by outside temperature on Zuiderdam Sunfarer or Noordam Med

Stevero2

I am considering booking either the Zuiderdam Sunfarer or the Noordam Meditteranean in April, but am concerned that the hot weather outside might impact the ability of the ac even in an inside cabin to work effectively. I need to sleep in a very cold room. Would either cruise be a better better bet for me?

In general I have read more complaints about the Zuiderdam than the Noordam but I am sure either can have a cabin with a problem. We have never had a problem with cabin temp on any ship but others report them on occasion.

We've been on both but I am one of those folks who are always cold. I find the Crow's Nest absolutely freezing on whatever dam ship I'm on. Even my husband, who's usually warm, finds the cabin cool. We usually turn the air way down, especially since it blows right onto the bed.

Our last cruise on the Zuiderdam was the partial canal one but, for some reason, we hit an unusually cool time, especially on Canal day when it was dark, drizzly and cool. We we prepared for hot, hot, hot and got cool, cool, cool! We also, BTW, had enough insect repellant to sink a battleship and didn't see so much as a housefly!

I can't speak for the Zuiderdam, by my experience on the Noordam suggests that you will have no trouble achieving a chilly cabin. DW and I reduce the air conditioning before heading for dinner and still have to sleep under the blankets on the Noordam.

I've never had a cabin that I could term "too cool"; or even one that I could get "cool enough" for my comfort. The best I have ever been able to achieve is "the warm side of comfortable". It hasn't mattered where I was on the face of the earth, either. Crossing the equator, down in Antarctica, or far north in the Polar Ice Cap---some are just less warm than others.

The hottest cabin I was ever in, unbearably hot, was in the Polar Ice Cap, as a matter of fact.

If the latitude of the ship makes a difference in cabin temperature, you can't prove it by me.

In general I have read more complaints about the Zuiderdam than the Noordam but I am sure either can have a cabin with a problem. We have never had a problem with cabin temp on any ship but others report them on occasion.

I've been on both ships, Zuiderdam many times, Noordam only once, both for Caribbean cruises.

With that said, I have to agree with KirkNC's comments about never having had a problem with the temp in my stateroom during a Caribbean cruise. Did one week though on Zuiderdam Alasaka cruise, but the problem was not the ship, but passengers.

I will be back aboard the Zuiderdam in 28 days for the Panama Canal and am not at all worried, even though there are a few members of CC who reported probems during the last 2 or so cruises.

I believe that temps are like the food, subjective.

Joanie

I am considering booking either the Zuiderdam Sunfarer or the Noordam Meditteranean in April, but am concerned that the hot weather outside might impact the ability of the ac even in an inside cabin to work effectively. I need to sleep in a very cold room. Would either cruise be a better better bet for me?

I have never found the temperature in my cabin to be "really cold" no matter what I set the thermostat at. It is either slightly cool or mildly cool. Very cold is not part of a cruise ship cabin vernacular.

DON

I'm with you-I have a very difficult time sleeping unless our cabin is very cool. With the recent complaint of the a/c on the Zuiderdam again it's a toss up really for you. I guess that's why we have done Alaska several times-haven't had to worry about being in a hot climate and the a/c.

Good luck-whichever you choose hope it all goes well for you.

We cruised on the Zuiderdam in an oceanview cabin last year to the Southern

Caribbean and Panama Canal, and once we hit the deep south our cabin was extremely hot. They gave a us a fan which made it tolerable, and it started to cool down once we headed in to the more northern parts on the way back. This was early November last year, and there is no doubt that weather played a part. Didn't ruin the cruise, but we like a cool cabin too.

Just off Zuiderdam this Monday and I would not recommend her if you need a cold room. The issue may have been fixed by now, but I doubt it considering that many have said this has been ongoing for quite some time. I have another thread that talks about my exact experiences...check it out (Cruise: Great...Zuiderdam: Not So Much).

Sent from my iPad

Archived