2014-15 pricing

Hawaiidan

For those of you on the fence...should I book or should I not. Well pilgrim, its time to break out the ol'e check book or credit card if you have plans.

Prices on many cruises starting Jan 1 2014 will rise 30-33% ! Its a fact of life...heat rises- water runs down hill and- no free lunch.

Example: for a grand cruise Tokyo to Istanbul... todays price $15499pp for a F inside ( book by12-31) included Laundry,internet, Visa Service, Transfers and air and gratuities.

Book the same after 12-31 and surprise...its $21,898pp F inside. all the above but...no gratuities for the 55 day cruise.

In my case booking that cruise with an extension of 11 days will

save me $7900 on ship board expenses, and 12,789 in increased fare..

That's a almost a $21,000 SAVINGS and that's in the cheap seats !!!

So read that new winter cruise book they just mailed and think long and hard.. before December 31 !:o

Think how much more I'll save if I don't book. ;-)

Mo

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

:o

Well that's a point.....

On the other hand, you can always get more money....but you can't get more time.....:rolleyes: So how much of each do you have left of each ?????????

Reminds me of a guy I met one day, he was smack dab in the center of this big old pool of quick sand, about waist deep. I asked, " what are you doing" He replied, "walking across quicksand" " So how is it going"

He replied "so far so good" I see life and the future as that big pond of quicksand, and we are all in it to varying degrees. So how much further do you have to go Mo? Me I am not going to wait to see...

but TBH...we can only afford the T/A's because of their price point....we have done a number of them. And have one booked already for spring '14. I hope that those rates..for future T/A's aren't increased this much..because we may have to look elsewhere after that cruise. For those of you who can afford the more expensive cruises...that seems like a really big increase. LuAnn

Dan,

Where is this price increase posted/advertised?

I haven't received any mailing about it.

pAUL, DERIVED this price vs the posted price today and the printed price in the cruise catalog that I received yesterday. no more no less;)

Just for grins I compared 30 day cruises to 10-14 day cruises.

In the cruises I picked at random in cat F, the per person per day cost was almost 30% cheaper for the longer cruise ! Example a 55 day cruise figured out to be $281 per person per day but if you amortized it with Gratuities 12.5, Internet 21.50, laundry 15.00 that brings it down to $232.pp per day.

For a 10 day cruise, in F the rate figured $399pp/per day. Now we have to add 12.5 grats, 21.5 internet. and lets forget laundry for a short trip.

So the 10 day is really $433 pp/pd vs $232pp/pd net for the 55 day:eek:

The longer the cruise the better the deal with all the included...which over all can save you 50%

Just an observation

That's what sold me on the World Cruise...the most items included, the lowest per diem fares and no flying!

Haven't done a cruise in the past 13 years shorter than 28 days Next cruise is 34 days and just booked a 66 day. ! What is great about that is I took a 55 day with a savings large enough to tack on an extra 11 day cruise with the savings. As to air... with the longer cruise while I am not as good as your world cruise, I have reduced my flying to nothing over 8 hours.... and that from Hawaii as a benefit to boot

I stopped to consider people who take 2 to 3, 10 to 14 day cruises every year because they are spending double what they would spend on a 30 to 40 day one. So its clear, one big cruise a year is the way to go

Enjoy Don.... but I have to draw the line at 65- days 180 is too much of a good thing.

Just for grins I compared 30 day cruises to 10-14 day cruises.

In the cruises I picked at random in cat F, the per person per day cost was almost 30% cheaper for the longer cruise ! Example a 55 day cruise figured out to be $281 per person per day but if you amortized it with Gratuities 12.5, Internet 21.50, laundry 15.00 that brings it down to $232.pp per day.

For a 10 day cruise, in F the rate figured $399pp/per day. Now we have to add 12.5 grats, 21.5 internet. and lets forget laundry for a short trip.

So the 10 day is really $433 pp/pd vs $232pp/pd net for the 55 day:eek:

The longer the cruise the better the deal with all the included...which over all can save you 50%

A large chunk of the embedded cost is the airfare, which one can avoid by taking longer cruises. For RTW Miami, airfare is negligible on the trip when compared to airfare when going on a 7-day cruise in Europe, where the airfare may be over 1/3 of the price of the cruise.

Wow, for the exact same cruise in the new brochure we would be paying $1000 more EACH than the same we booked for this year. We will now have to reconsider booking a new trip:(

That's not really the case. The prices quoted in the brochure are less if you deduct the amount per state room, i.e. $3000, which is reflected in the 4 page insert in the new brochure which is in effect until the end of the year. So take the amount in the brochure, check it against the insert reduction and you will have the actual cruise price! Arlene

That's not really the case. The prices quoted in the brochure are less if you deduct the amount per state room, i.e. $3000, which is reflected in the 4 page insert in the new brochure which is in effect until the end of the year. So take the amount in the brochure, check it against the insert reduction and you will have the actual cruise price! Arlene

Ain't no $3000 deduction per room for me...I got a card saying for 2014/15 winter if you book by Dec31 you get gratuities and internet.:o

No $3000 amigo in mine.

True, you can go broke savings, however, the point I was considering was that for what it cost you to do 2 ten day cruises, you could have had, for the same $$$, a 30 day cruise...or longer.

I have a annual budget/account that tells me how much I can play. Per diem is important to me because for x dollars I want to get the most possible days for my budget.

Ain't no $3000 deduction per room for me...I got a card saying for 2014/15 winter if you book by Dec31 you get gratuities and internet.:o

No $3000 amigo in mine.

True, you can go broke savings, however, the point I was considering was that for what it cost you to do 2 ten day cruises, you could have had, for the same $$$, a 30 day cruise...or longer.

I have a annual budget/account that tells me how much I can play. Per diem is important to me because for x dollars I want to get the most possible days for my budget.

If you look at page 80 of the brochure, a cruise which we are thinking about, and which is part of your BIG one and in Cat F it says $12,799 per person. If you look at the insert for the same cruise, it stares "5,000 Early Booking Savings" per statement room, so that amount would go down to $10,299 which is the same amount on the website. If you didn't receive the insert, you cannot comment on it. And as for the grand voyages, they really should be counted as back to backs, considering that some of us have many $$$ in SBC because of many cruises, and the SBC is only counted ONCE on these cruises. So, it's just a matter of what people want to spend for their enjoyment. One cruise of 40 days, or several of 14 or more. That's why there is rocky rock and cherry vanilla!!! Arlene;)

You missed out on a free RT First class flights :D

Yeah, but I got very generous air credit. :cool: (For those for whom this goes over their head, we don't have a first class airline between Okeechobee and Miami, 3 hours away by car :D)

you can go broke buying bargains. For us it's the overall cost, not the per diem, although low per diems are nice.

Tell me about it. The actual fare, while enough to choke a horse at first glance, is really not that bad compared to several cruises to go to the same areas. But, the incidental costs, including trip insurance and excursions, could add 50% of more to the cost. For example, we typically drink a glass of wine each with dinner -- half a bottle. One night, I woke up realizing that in 180 days we would use 90 bottles of wine, at an average of $40 per bottle on board, would come to $3,600 -- just for wine!

But, it's our 50th anniversary in 2015, and a World Cruise has more appeal for us than diamonds.

But, it's our 50th anniversary in 2015, and a World Cruise has more appeal for us than diamonds.

You've got the right idea, Don.

Just enjoy it - I am sure you have earned it (and as you know, you can't take it with you ;))

If you look at page 80 of the brochure, a cruise which we are thinking about, and which is part of your BIG one and in Cat F it says $12,799 per person. If you look at the insert for the same cruise, it stares "5,000 Early Booking Savings" per statement room, so that amount would go down to $10,299 which is the same amount on the website. If you didn't receive the insert, you cannot comment on it. And as for the grand voyages, they really should be counted as back to backs, considering that some of us have many $$$ in SBC because of many cruises, and the SBC is only counted ONCE on these cruises. So, it's just a matter of what people want to spend for their enjoyment. One cruise of 40 days, or several of 14 or more. That's why there is rocky rock and cherry vanilla!!! Arlene;)

Dan's point is come 1 January that discount in the mini attachment will disappear and so will the discount on the web site. The point is that Oceania printed that 80 page brochure to last thru 2015 and therefore is only giving their standard 2 for 1 discount. So come 1 January Oceania will issue another mini brochure advertising $XXXX saving depending on how the cruises are selling.

Dan -- for the one in question it is not selling too well so the discount could be greater. That is what happened to our last 35 days cruise. 12 months before they added another 2K in savings.

What should worry you more is that UA just increased the FF redemption miles by up to 90%...

Dan's point is come 1 January that discount in the mini attachment will disappear and so will the discount on the web site. The point is that Oceania printed that 80 page brochure to last thru 2015 and therefore is only giving their standard 2 for 1 discount. So come 1 January Oceania will issue another mini brochure advertising $XXXX saving depending on how the cruises are selling.

Dan -- for the one in question it is not selling too well so the discount could be greater. That is what happened to our last 35 days cruise. 12 months before they added another 2K in savings.

What should worry you more is that UA just increased the FF redemption miles by up to 90%...

Paul, point taken, except as you said, cruises that are not selling get big savings...I remember that 35 day cruise with the $2K discount!! We are on a cruise in February that is probably not selling because the SBC keeps going up - now $1K - but no reduction in price. In the past Oceania has their "SAVINGS" program until a certain date and that's when you have to see for what the cruise is selling. If the price goes, we get the going rate. I think it all comes down to how much money we are willing to spend for a particular cruise. Arlene;)

Some of the "new perks" advertised are for new bookings only

or if you cabin Cat is still available you may get the added perks

As per the fine print

Credit are per stateroom, capacity controlled, for new bookings only and available on select sailings and may be withdrawn at any time.

http://www.oceaniacruises.com/corporate/legal/promotiontermsconditions.aspx

On our cruise we were able to get the added perk but our friend on the same cruise was not able as her Cat was waitlisted

I do wish they would not play games like the mass market lines

I do understand that after final payment they maybe want to up the ante to fill the ship but when the cruise is still 8mths away & we have booked 18 mths out we are penalized for booking early by not getting the additional perks offered

If they change the perks before final payment it should be given to all those that have booked.

My rant for today ;)

Lyn

Exactly!!

See here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-consolidated/1517647-changes-mileageplus-award-upgrade-policies-eff-feb-2014-a.html

I cancelled my AA award to Europe for next Sept and instead "burned" some of my MP miles for that trip. Will burn the rest ASAP :mad:

Probably will put the Sapphire card away as well :(

Archived