NOT happy with FREEDOM at all

travlnblueberries

This is the first cruise this has happened to me.

I had chicken tenders the night before (lightly breaded pieces of real chicken). The following night I really didn't care for anything on the menu (I don't do lamb, tofu steak, and I have to be careful of fish, because I'm very allergic to many types and didn't want to experiment on a cruise ship!) I asked my head waiter if it was at all possible to get 4 of the chicken tenders I had yesterday? I told him they don't need to make the dish fancy, just 4 tenders on a plate. He told me they were all out. (He didn't even ask anyone and frankly found this hard to believe) Later, still at the table, I told my husband, "he didn't even ask". The head waiter was behind me, and I knew it. He came to my side and said that if he had ordered the tenders for me, he would have had to put it in as a special order, and he didn't want to do that. I'm still in disbelief.

Just wondering how you handle a rude waiter while on your cruise.

We were on an 8 day cruise (first of 2 legs) and the head waiter never came to our table till day 3 or 4. He never introduced himself either when he DID. (Now that's not the rude one)

The asst. waiter was the rude one. If you asked him a question about an item on the menu, he would roll his eyes in disgust....and gave me the wrong information anyway. We found this out when our meal came. (Another tablemate and myself ordered the item from the information he provided)

He just had this attitude from the start, like he either wanted to end his contract or was sorry he signed up. But it was apparent he didn't want to be there. At one point I had to ask a waiter in training if he could get our table more water, more butter, and more bread !

I had chicken tenders the night before (lightly breaded pieces of real chicken). The following night I really didn't care for anything on the menu (I don't do lamb, tofu steak, and I have to be careful of fish, because I'm very allergic to many types and didn't want to experiment on a cruise ship!) I asked my head waiter if it was at all possible to get 4 of the chicken tenders I had yesterday? I told him they don't need to make the dish fancy, just 4 tenders on a plate. He told me they were all out. (He didn't even ask anyone and frankly found this hard to believe) Later, still at the table, I told my husband, "he didn't even ask". The head waiter was behind me, and I knew it. He came to my side and said that if he had ordered the tenders for me, he would have had to put it in as a special order, and he didn't want to do that. I'm still in disbelief.

You hold the action of one person at one meal against the entire ship? At most I would have mentioned this lapse to the maitre'd.

Oh forgot to ask. So this one thing means that the Freedom is a horriable ship. After all You Posted: NOT HAPPY WITH FREEDOM AT ALL.

While I don't do this, I have seen others make orders off the menu and have even seen the waiters offer something not on the menu. I think this was just a case of a waiter not wanting to go above and beyond to satisfy a passenger.

You hold the action of one person at one meal against the entire ship? At most I would have mentioned this lapse to the maitre'd.

^^^This^^^

You should've taken this up with the Maitre'D immediately. Not because they were out of chicken tenders. But because the head waiter told you he didn't feel like placing a special order. That's his job.

But please, don't hate the whole ship/cruise because of 1 minor incident.

We were on an 8 day cruise (first of 2 legs) and the head waiter never came to our table till day 3 or 4. He never introduced himself either when he DID. (Now that's not the rude one)

The asst. waiter was the rude one. If you asked him a question about an item on the menu, he would roll his eyes in disgust....and gave me the wrong information anyway. We found this out when our meal came. (Another tablemate and myself ordered the item from the information he provided)

He just had this attitude from the start, like he either wanted to end his contract or was sorry he signed up. But it was apparent he didn't want to be there. At one point I had to ask a waiter in training if he could get our table more water, more butter, and more bread !

First thing I would do is ask for a table/server change. And I wouldn't wait till the MD wasn't busy (huh?).

And he certainly wouldn't be rewarded with a tip. I would hope to assist in his quick departure if he's that bad. Luckily, this only happened to us once.

Although I understand you were not pleased, I agree with the poster that if you go into a restaurant you can't order something not on the menu. There are so many food options on a ship. There were a couple of nights I didn't love anything so just ordered off the daily menu. Or you can eat all the other courses and then go up to Lido after dinner. You have options. Think about how many people they are serving and if a lot of people did that.

And, why put that you didn't like the Freedom - just because of this?

Edited by rlkubi

^^^This^^^

You should've taken this up with the Maitre'D immediately. Not because they were out of chicken tenders. But because the head waiter told you he didn't feel like placing a special order. That's his job.

But please, don't hate the whole ship/cruise because of 1 minor incident.

Agree

Perhaps you did not have good waiters or perhaps your expectation were too high.

It wasn't on the menu. Typically if someone needs special orders due to alleries, they order the night before. I don't see how this is an issue that would cause an entire cruise to be awful?

Mine wasn't allergy related, but I fell in love a fried fish sandwich once, asked if I could have one on another day too. She took the order for the next day, and voila, there it was.

So, they must stop production lines for special on the spot requests, but they gladly do it with advance notice so the item is there.

I'm sorry you received sub-par service. That said, I think mentioning this to the MD at the time would have helped more than coming on here to complain, after the fact. I don't want to sound harsh, but taking care of this immediately might have made your cruise more enjoyable.

I'm just not use to Carnival standards???

One would think one needs to lower theirs to accept subpar service, based on some responses here. Kinda scary if you ask me.

Accept nothing less than superior service. Regardless if others have given up and accept it.

Carnival doesn't care. The head waiter on the Freedom tried to over power me and take my Nikon camera last year. He thought I took their picture and said I was not allowed to do so. When I told him I didn't take their picture but if I wanted to I would have, he tried to get my camera. They were out in public view as I was walking around taking pics. I turned him in and nothing happened.

I'm sorry you received sub-par service. That said, I think mentioning this to the MD at the time would have helped more than coming on here to complain, after the fact. I don't want to sound harsh, but taking care of this immediately might have made your cruise more enjoyable.

Agree. Been in the restaurant business 45 years. You as a guest need to let mgmt. know if there is an issue. If we don't know something is wrong we can't fix it. This goes for the entire operation of the ship. Let someone know at the time of the issue. It will usually get taken care of.

It's too bad that they were out of chicken tenders, the waiter should have suggested the Fried or Roasted Chicken that is on the everyday menu. Did you miss that on the menu ?

I may be wrong but thought chicken fingers were on the kids menu????

If not...i am sure it is a frequent request for those that do have kids.....

Bummer OP...I feel ya.

Chicken Nuggets are on the kid menu, not Tenders -- a good waiter should have offer these as an alternative -- perhaps he did

I am sorry that you were disappointed, OP, that you could not get the chicken tenders that you wanted.

They were not on the menu though.

Yes, the waiter should have asked the kitchen before denying your request.

His bad. Addressing the situation with the MD could have helped you.

I am certain you can understand how your thread title looks now.

The entire ship can't be faulted over one dining request.

These boards can be brutal and one should always think thrice before posting!

One wrong word or sentence can be quite daunting.

We have all been there a time or two or three.

Hopefully, you can now dwell on the parts of your cruise you did enjoy :D

In looking at the posts:eek:,also taking into account my expirences with waitstaff both on & off ships. And most lines say up front they provide excellent service, your complaints while trivial have merit. You should when encounter this should instantly request the MD (if he/she does not respond in timely fashion @ your choosing and you feel you should escalate it then talk with the F&B manager). Just my opinion.

Doug