Oceania veterans who have cruised on Scenic river cruises

pacheco18

The reviews are all over the place. Some are awful.

We are considering Scenic or Uniworld for a river cruise - similar itineraries.

I have confidence in Uniworld but the ship that does the itinerary we want is not one of the newer ones with multiple dining venues. The Scenic ships have larger cabins and more amenities.

If any of you have sailed on Scenic, I would love to get your feedback.

Hi Laraine,

We have 13 O cruises and 4 more booked. We took our first river cruise on Scenic this summer. The ship was quite nice - we had a panorama suite at the aft. However, the experience is quite different from cruising on Oceania. One major difference is the excursions. We generally do private tours and I know you do too. On Scenic, all the excursions are included. There will be up to 40 people in your group, whether there is a bus or walking. The guides were good and you do get a tablet-like device with earphones so you can hear the guide even if you are not right next to them. The device also has a GPS built in and when you are on your own [either on shore or sailing down the river], it will beep whenever you are near a sight and give you a narration. That was a nice feature. The food was good but not nearly comparable to O's food. Breakfast and lunch are buffet and everyone eats at the same time. There is a menu at those meals from which you can supplement the buffet. We found the wait staff to be not very friendly. Some of them were unable to smile and sometimes the service was begrudging. Dinner is served and there are several choices of entrees.

I'd be happy to share my experiences with you in detail.

LAexNY at ca dot rr dot com.

we have taken 3 /O cruises and have first Scenic planned for next June.

Sorry,but impossible to compare river to ocean.Have taken 10 river cruises and all the major lines.They re just different,due to small ship,small kitchen,etc.BUt still GREAT,for the area to visit and experience.More like a floating hotel that just cruises between ports,very convenient and relaxing way to see parts of world.Remember, you can always start on excursion with group,ie.to museum,etc.THEN go off on own.Not forced to participate(can take bus to town,etc).Very flexible.

Each ship in the line can be different,the country also determines type of cruise(ex.Russia,Egypt).Just make a detailed comparison between all the lines that go to area you want,then you ll get better idea.In general,youGET what you pay for.So ALL Uniworld,Scenic,AMA etc ships and cruises will be somewhat different,,,hard to lump them ALL together for pick out BEST.;)

We have done 6 river cruises and our favorite so far is AMA; we enjoyed both of our AMA cruises far more than the 4 previous river cruises we took and have two more booked.

Last cruise was on their new AmaCerto and we had a twin balcony cabin, 235 sq ft, and this was the nicest cabin we have yet had on a river cruise. My mom had a larger twin balcony with a spacious bathroom. The boat is upscale and very well appointed. Food and service were very good and their specialty dining restaurant was a great experience - and included. We were also very pleased with the included wines.

We also enjoy their Active Pace included tours, though we often DIY as that is our preference no matter where we cruise.

We are recently back from our first O cruise and our friends who sailed with us this cruise (2 other couples) were on AMA with us last year had the same opinion we did. We really enjoyed O but we all enjoyed AMA just as much.

That being said, ocean cruising and river cruising are apples and oranges so not possible to really compare. The ease of docking right in town, the convivial ambiance, the very small passenger count and the overall experience on a river cruise is very different.

Edited by caviargal

This is exactly why I remain confused. Many reviews praise the food. I understand food is subjective but how can it be both yuck and very good. Lol

Different ship, different chefs

Scenic became more all inclusive in 2013 so maybe the free alcohol helped ;)

Food is subjective ...but most of what were had in the MDR was frozen entrees

We did have a good meal the first night & the BBQ on deck was good

Portebello was good they only have 24 sitting there each night

On our cruise on the Sapphire most passengers were Australians or New Zealanders with a few Brits & Canadians ..2 American ladies

Our friends took Avalon in France & loved it

Edited by LHT28

Concerns about both food quality and food choice (particularly with my fish allergies and other dietary limits) also enter into our considerations. Probably will stick with rail connections in through Europe until we no longer can handle our luggage.:)

Edited by CintiPam

It's a crap shoot at best

Lol

I think I will just pick the best itinerary and cross my fingers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Larraine, I have been on 3 river cruises and never again..not for us..

Jancruz1

Larraine, We have yet to take our first O cruise, but are booked for next summer, so I have an idea of the type of cruise experience you seem to prefer. We did a 14 day Scenic cruise last summer (Diamond, Crystal, Pearl.. that is another story), our first river cruise. I am sure for a river cruise company, it compares well, but we were disappointed and will never consider a river cruise again. The CC board is not a very good resource when planning, as all those who post are river cruise cheerleaders for their varous lines. After my experience, I doubt we would even try another cruise line, their formats all seem quite similar.

Negatives: very, very small opportunity for any type of small group experience. Days are programmed. You are let off, and often do not return to the same port at the end of your tour, but move up/down the river to catch the boat. The logistics of doing anything yourself is limited, as the ship changes it's itinerary constantly due to river conditions. You would find it difficult to book a private guide, as you might even miss that port entirely.

Crowded venues: no place to get away from it all. The scenic ships have a dining room and lounge, the top deck is almost unusable, again dependant on river conditions.

Service: too few staff to get any type of service -- dining room/bar/room.

Entertainment: drinking is about all there is to do. Some board games, some amateur entertainment.

Port days: you get to make a choice on activity. Think bus trips involving an hour or two transit, walking guided 30 person tours, up to an hour of DIY before being herded back on the bus.

I had no expectations of food -- I didn't go hungry, but here is the dining experience: everyone arrives within a few minutes of the dining room opening. Find a table -- most were 6 tops. Staff hands 2 menus per table, does not describe choices, or always available items. Wine service: red or white. There are usually 3 choices of each, but servers never give you a chance to make a preference. IF, you decide you prefer the Chianti, you can get it. But it's a 90/10 chance it will be refilled with a random other wine at some point in the dinner. Everyone orders -- food service is slow, as the logistics of serving 175 dinners at once is difficult.

THere are more buffet nights than I expected. Long line wait if you would like the specialty item, as there is one staff carving or serving.

Rooms, are actually not bad. I like their glass verandahs (depends on the ship). Scenic delivers a "tour" not a cruise, which is my major complaint with the whole thing. They want to be a luxury line, but IMO, are understaffed. I talked to many other passengers during our trip. I didn't meet anyone who would take another river cruise on Scenic, and only one couple who would take another river cruise. They didn't seem to expect repeat business, at no point was there any discussion about booking on board or future cruise credit.

We did meet another couple at our B&B following our cruise, who had done the same itinerary on another line. We spent an enjoyable couple of hours laughing about river cruising in general, and all the negative comparisons to ocean cruising. I don't think it was just Scenic, I'm just not a bus person, and I think you need to enjoy those type of experiences to enjoy river cruising.

To the other question regarding noise at night :: yes it is a huge problem if you are on a river with locks. I have never slept so poorly on any vacation.

Larraine, We have yet to take our first O cruise, but are booked for next summer, so I have an idea of the type of cruise experience you seem to prefer. We did a 14 day Scenic cruise last summer (Diamond, Crystal, Pearl.. that is another story), our first river cruise. I am sure for a river cruise company, it compares well, but we were disappointed and will never consider a river cruise again. The CC board is not a very good resource when planning, as all those who post are river cruise cheerleaders for their varous lines. After my experience, I doubt we would even try another cruise line, their formats all seem quite similar.

Negatives: very, very small opportunity for any type of small group experience. Days are programmed. You are let off, and often do not return to the same port at the end of your tour, but move up/down the river to catch the boat. The logistics of doing anything yourself is limited, as the ship changes it's itinerary constantly due to river conditions. You would find it difficult to book a private guide, as you might even miss that port entirely.

Crowded venues: no place to get away from it all. The scenic ships have a dining room and lounge, the top deck is almost unusable, again dependant on river conditions.

Service: too few staff to get any type of service -- dining room/bar/room.

Entertainment: drinking is about all there is to do. Some board games, some amateur entertainment.

Port days: you get to make a choice on activity. Think bus trips involving an hour or two transit, walking guided 30 person tours, up to an hour of DIY before being herded back on the bus.

I had no expectations of food -- I didn't go hungry, but here is the dining experience: everyone arrives within a few minutes of the dining room opening. Find a table -- most were 6 tops. Staff hands 2 menus per table, does not describe choices, or always available items. Wine service: red or white. There are usually 3 choices of each, but servers never give you a chance to make a preference. IF, you decide you prefer the Chianti, you can get it. But it's a 90/10 chance it will be refilled with a random other wine at some point in the dinner. Everyone orders -- food service is slow, as the logistics of serving 175 dinners at once is difficult.

THere are more buffet nights than I expected. Long line wait if you would like the specialty item, as there is one staff carving or serving.

Rooms, are actually not bad. I like their glass verandahs (depends on the ship). Scenic delivers a "tour" not a cruise, which is my major complaint with the whole thing. They want to be a luxury line, but IMO, are understaffed. I talked to many other passengers during our trip. I didn't meet anyone who would take another river cruise on Scenic, and only one couple who would take another river cruise. They didn't seem to expect repeat business, at no point was there any discussion about booking on board or future cruise credit.

We did meet another couple at our B&B following our cruise, who had done the same itinerary on another line. We spent an enjoyable couple of hours laughing about river cruising in general, and all the negative comparisons to ocean cruising. I don't think it was just Scenic, I'm just not a bus person, and I think you need to enjoy those type of experiences to enjoy river cruising.

To the other question regarding noise at night :: yes it is a huge problem if you are on a river with locks. I have never slept so poorly on any vacation.

yuck

reconsidering

Laraine, as you know Karen and I have been researching and considering the same sort of river cruise as you have. We've been getting the same kind of mixed messages you are getting here. Not yet mentioned here is the comment from some friends that they were the youngest people on the boat at 68 and 70. The slow pace of the tours drove them crazy. So we remain on the fence but maybe leaning to something else.

We are also considering a Rick Steves land tour of Switzerland, Austria and southern Germany. We have taken his tours in France and Italy and found them to be less structured than other group tours with lots of free time. They tend to spend a fair amount of time off the beaten path in smaller towns. It is nice to have someone else take care of parking, reservations and selection of local expert guides. Also, the participants tend to be a little younger and certainly more adventurous than our typical cruise passengers.

Contact me directly if you would like more info.

Ron

Laraine, as you know Karen and I have been researching and considering the same sort of river cruise as you have. We've been getting the same kind of mixed messages you are getting here. Not yet mentioned here is the comment from some friends that they were the youngest people on the boat at 68 and 70. The slow pace of the tours drove them crazy. So we remain on the fence but maybe leaning to something else.

We are also considering a Rick Steves land tour of Switzerland, Austria and southern Germany. We have taken his tours in France and Italy and found them to be less structured than other group tours with lots of free time. They tend to spend a fair amount of time off the beaten path in smaller towns. It is nice to have someone else take care of parking, reservations and selection of local expert guides. Also, the participants tend to be a little younger and certainly more adventurous than our typical cruise passengers.

Contact me directly if you would like more info.

Ron

That's an idea -- if I even want to do a tour at all

I was planning on emailing you once we decided on a river cruise but I am becoming less optimistic that we will do one

Everyone knows how i HATE buses LOL

I will look at what Rick Steves has to offer

I am glad I was not the only one who had bad nights onboard

when in the locks ..seems we hit every lock wall going... all 67+ of them ..more noticeable when you are trying to sleep

Did not have a problem with the wine service selection the problem was when I say "no more thank you" they still fill it up;)

People that love river cruises will not agree there is a problem :D

Lyn

Concerns about both food quality and food choice (particularly with my fish allergies and other dietary limits) also enter into our considerations. Probably will stick with rail connections in through Europe until we no longer can handle our luggage.:)

Pam

Like you, my wife has dietary issues. In our experience, as on ocean ships, river ships have "always available" and simple choices on the menu, choices which adequately address her concerns.

That being said, on our last Uniworld cruise we encountered a Maitre d' whose officiousness completely overwhelmed the need for customer service. Too often it was a battle of wills. Fortunately, that has been an exception.

Given the size of the galley on river ships, it is more difficult to provide the same quality/choice of food as ocean cruisers may expect.

Ron

There is a new line, A-Rosa, that is marketing to a younger demographic. Their boats look beautiful when we have seen them in port and we are considering them for a future cruise.

We enjoy AmaWaterways because of the younger demographic we have experienced on our cruises with them. AMA offer Active Pace tours and included biking tours, averaging 15-20 kms. We were out dancing most nights past midnight and had a great time on our two cruises with them.

We are mid 50s and on our AMA cruises, at least half of the guests were our age or younger. We do not take long cruises, and we enjoy their themed cruises, which may influence the demographic.

We found the food overall on AMA to be very good. The variety is not as extensive as on O but the quality was very good overall. Their artisanal cheese board at lunch and dinner is a standout.

wow - tough crowd here for river cruising! We did 2 river cruises, probably a "lower end" choice - GCT. The first was the Danube - Budapest, Vienna, Prague. We did this because we wanted to see that part of the world, esp. a stop in Bratilava as my husband is 1st generation child of Slovakian immigrant. Me, I will never do another bus tour - waaaay too much moving and packing and unpacking so the river cruise was the best choice for the itinerary. Also my impression was that I would not like the country cuisine in that part of the world and hoped for better on the ship. Our 2nd river cruise was in France on the Saone and Rhone.

Yes, the food on O was much superior and the dining, everyone eats at the same time on the river cruise, a very different experience. But I have reached the point in my life where I have had so much good food that every meal does not have to be a home run! I still want to eat tasty food BUT we wanted to visit the places on the itinerary so fine dining could be sacrified a bit!

We loved the first river cruise, esp. Budapest! And the second was pleasant as well - yes, the shore excursions (all included) were not small groups but for the most part the guides were fine. I really liked traveling along the river seeing the country side and usually docking right in the middle of the city. As far as entertainment, we are happy to chat with fellow travelers at night or play cards - met some bridge players. We thought the city visits were fine, some tour time, some free (or optional excursions time). We did not spend much time on buses except when we needed to go overland at the beginning / end of the trip. We did not notice going thru the locks at night.

A river cruise is just very different - I guess whether you decide to go or not probably depends how much you want to go where it goes. Again, I'd never do a bus tour - I think even a Rick Steves (probably the best of the bunch) would move too often, too many up and out in the mornings for me. I'd do a slow paced land trip on my own before a tour bus! Where are you thinking of going on your river cruise (if you have read all the way thru this "river of blather")